AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I don’t blame you Dan, that noise would drive me crazy too! Being in the bedroom, I’m sure you keep the volume relatively low compared to your normal surround sound system, so it’s especially noticeable.
Mike.......You are correct, no need to blast it in the bedroom, especially since all I use for sound in there are the TV speakers. The Sony player sounded like a small battery powered hand tool was running. No way could I tolerate it. The good news is Best Buy is great to deal with, even on returns. Customer service had my refund issued to my card in less than two minutes by a lovely young lady with a smile.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:12 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Dan, did you consider this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-0luJDJg10
Old 04-23-2018, 12:21 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Dan, did you consider this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-0luJDJg10
Jim.......Thanks for the link to Sony's latest OLED television. I had the opportunity to compare both the Sony 65 inch A1E OLED television and LG's OLED65C7P to the XBR65X900E that I purchased for the living room. While I thought the color, and particularly the black levels to be outstanding on both models of OLED TV's, I was convinced in side by side viewing that the color gamut and black levels with the full array LED back lighting on the Sony XBR65X900E was very close. Also, there is still quite a price gap between OLED panels and Sony's HDR Ultra LCD panels, particularly the 900E series. Sony's LED full array back lighted panels are tried and proven technology with an excellent track record for longevity and reliability. OLED is still an emerging and developing technology that has some history to be gained before I am convinced the price difference makes the technology worth it. Sony has only been in the OLED game with television for two years. Last year's Bravia A1E was Sony's first consumer OLED offering. Perhaps when the failure rate of OLED panels during manufacturing decreases more the cost will begin to drop to a more competitive level. Sony's newest 65 inch A8F OLED television is selling for $3,800.00. My XBR65X900E was purchased for $1,500.00 on sale. To my eyes the OLED's I compared it to did not justify such a price disparity. I have $3,400.00 total in the 49 inch, 55 inch, and 65 inch 900E series 4K televisions I purchased. That's $400.00 less than a single Sony 65 inch A8F OLED costs.

Then there is OLED burn in, a real issue with static images on the screen like the damn channel logos content providers love to keep pasted in the lower corner of the screen, and those tickers news channels park at the bottom of the screen. Like plasma and CRT before it, OLED can retain images on the screen temporarily, and perhaps even permanently, if it's left static for too long. This is an issue that disturbs me, even if the chance of it happening is remote. Then there is the lifespan of OLED compared to LCD and LED. At this time OLED lifespan is in the range of 15,000 hours, where LCD lifespan exceeds 60,000 hours. That is a substantial difference, especially for someone who uses a television many hours per day and plans to keep it as long as possible.

So, to answer your original question, yes, I considered OLED. My decision to remain with LCD technology that uses full array LED back lighting was not made lightly. I consider my money well spent on the three high quality Sony 900E series 4K televisions. I am extremely pleased with the picture quality. The future may see an OLED TV in my home but at this time I am not quite ready to embrace the current state of that art.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Dan, who is the actress on the screen shot of your new TV?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Dan, who is the actress on the screen shot of your new TV?
Jim.......Sorry, I don't have a clue.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Two days after I set up my new LG OLED C7 65", a friend asked me "Hey how is vertical banding on your set?"

And I went - WAH!?? What vertical banding? I had heard of OLED burn in before and that was avoidable - don't watch TV with logos blazing on the screen.

But vertical banding? So much for doing my research...

So there's a youtube clip you can check it with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4Wy7vE8-o

Watch it in a dark room. If you have vertical banding, you should be able to see it. Now I see it in my XBox One menus as well.

I suspect you won't see this in the higher end models from LG where they cherry pick the panels.

Recently got a Loewe OLED (also an LG panel) in the store and I thought I'd check the same youtube clips. Boy - was I surprised. no sign of vertical banding.

For those of us who don't have an OLED and want to see what the fuss is about, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4vEGREGD4

FWIW I got a Sony ZD9 last year and it wasnt doing much in the game room - I moved it out for TV duties after I noticed our old plasma had pretty noticeable burn in late last year and got the C7 OLED to replace it in the game room.

I have to say, I prefer the ZD9 Full Array LED backlight to the OLED. Blacks are surprisingly close but the punchiness of the bright panel is phenomenal especially with Dolby Vision material (in latest Sony firmware). It is about 1800 nits - almost twice that of the OLED.

Re this actress:

Looks like the actress in Chicago PD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_Bush
Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Looks like the actress in Chicago PD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_Bush
Yes
Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Look at it this way, Dan.

Now that studio room couch won't be able to run away with you sitting on it all the time.

Congrats on the upgrade! The Sony 4K monitors are a great bang for the buck. I am thoroughly enjoying my 70" XBR.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Yesterday afternoon I installed a fiber optic cable from the Toslink digital output on the new 4K Sony XBT55X900 installed in the studio to the McIntosh MX120 surround processor. Once I setup the digitial input on the MX120 for optical input I am now enjoying 5.1 surround sound while streaming Netflix and other Internet content providers. What a nice upgrade from listening to the television speakers while streaming Netflix, Hulu, and others. I don't know why I didn't think to do this when I first installed the TV. Better late than never.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Yesterday afternoon I installed a fiber optic cable from the Toslink digital output on the new 4K Sony XBT55X900 installed in the studio to the McIntosh MX120 surround processor. Once I setup the digitial input on the MX120 for optical input I am now enjoying 5.1 surround sound while streaming Netflix and other Internet content providers. What a nice upgrade from listening to the television speakers while streaming Netflix, Hulu, and others. I don't know why I didn't think to do this when I first installed the TV. Better late than never.