AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks... this helps quite a bit. I was comparing the StudioTek 130 G3 and UltraMatte 130/150 spec sheets this morning actually. It's good to hear a testimonial on performance... appreciate the comment.
/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Stewart Studiotek 130G3 baby
Old 12-18-2017, 12:13 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I have used a Stewart Firehawk fixed screen for the last 10 years with great success in a basement home theater with good light control (white walls, white ceiling, tan carpet). Strong ambient light definitely washes out the image, which is a problem for most screen/projector set ups. If one is stuck with a bright light situation like a family room, I would suggest an OLED big screen TV instead of any projector.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Projection Screens 101?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I have used a Stewart Firehawk fixed screen for the last 10 years with great success in a basement home theater with good light control (white walls, white ceiling, tan carpet). Strong ambient light definitely washes out the image, which is a problem for most screen/projector set ups. If one is stuck with a bright light situation like a family room, I would suggest an OLED big screen TV instead of any projector.

A big OLED TV is likely to be no more than 85" diagonal which is not very big compared to what one can get with a projection screen.

I am surprised that you are using White Walls and white ceiling. The reflected light from the screen onto the White walls and ceiling can affect the quality of the picture on the screen.

Last edited by nicoff; 12-18-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM

My HT room has no windows and no light leakage through the single door, so ambient light is completely controlled in the space. The walls are a medium gray.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapHn8d View Post
My HT room has no windows and no light leakage through the single door, so ambient light is completely controlled in the space. The walls are a medium gray.

Nice looking room! You absolutely have no issues with ambient or reflective light. I take it that your projector will hang from the ceiling. I just noticed that the front wall is about 15 feet wide. That room has a lot of flexibility. I take it that you will likely have the equipment against a lateral wall probably about mid-way the long wall.
Just for your information, my screen is about 8.5 ft wide (116"diagonal). With the JVC projector, the throw distance (from projector to screen) is about 14 ft.

Last edited by nicoff; 12-18-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Here is a projection calculator for using a JVC RS520 Projector and a screen with 1.1 gain

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-...ulator-pro.htm

The Studio Tek has a higher gain of 1.3 when viewed at 0 degree angle, so you have lots of latitude in throw distance and plenty of wall space. You can even have a 10 foot wide screen (thats 138 inches diagonal) and it would still work.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:33 PM

May I suggest Screen Innovations.

I have a 5 series 132 inch zero edge screen with my sony vpl675es projector. It took me a while to dial it in but the image quality is spectacular. I have a gain of 1.2.

The screen is edgeless and looks like a giant TV. I have also a LED backlight. Unbelievable aesthetics. check out their website.

Stewart makes good stuff but the appearance of the screens never did it for me.
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 12-18-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Nice looking room! You absolutely have no issues with ambient or reflective light. I take it that your projector will hang from the ceiling. I just noticed that the front wall is about 15 feet wide. That room has a lot of flexibility. I take it that you will likely have the equipment against a lateral wall probably about mid-way the long wall.
Just for your information, my screen is about 8.5 ft wide (116"diagonal). With the JVC projector, the throw distance (from projector to screen) is about 14 ft.
All the equipment (other than projector obviously) will be in a completely separate room adjacent to this one. The projector will mount from ceiling at the rear of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
May I suggest Screen Innovations.
I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapHn8d View Post
All the equipment (other than projector obviously) will be in a completely separate room adjacent to this one. The projector will mount from ceiling at the rear of the room.

I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

The location of the projector will depend on the size of your screen, screen gain, specific projector and amount of foot-lamberts (luminance) that you want (from memory, movie theaters have about 18f-l).
Since you have a 25ft long room you have the option of choosing an optimal location depending of the parameters above. However, more than likely the projector will be located anywhere between 15 and 20 feet from your screen.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Ah, and since the projector will not be enclosed, be sure to pick one that is not too noisy!