AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDog View Post
Anyone ever buy from Abes of Main with any success? I've seen a few things about them being shady.

No, but I have bought from, and highly recommend, Ivan of Parkland.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:39 PM

After viewing a 75 inch sony 850 series in person and realizing that an 85 inch would be the same mediocre picture quality I'm getting cold feet. I want a bigger size than my current 73 inch dlp but man o man the picture quality on the sony 75 inch 900E series is SO much noticeably better than the 850 series!!! Go big or go smaller with a much better picture? Hmmmm

Last edited by ChicagoDog; 11-22-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:13 AM

Adding fuel to the fire
Compare the 900 to the 940 at the same 75 inch screen and see what that does.
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 11-23-2017, 03:02 PM

I was really stressing over the 85” Sony vs the 940 series. The 940 series is a clearly superior picture in every way. That said my older Sony 60 wasn’t close to either. At the end of the day I decided I wanted the bigger screen ( couldn’t afford the 100” so the 85 was it ) as I have a large room and couldn’t be happier. Since the 940 series isn’t home with me I never miss it!

George
Old 11-24-2017, 09:03 AM

I REALLY love that Sony 940E but knew I didn't want to spend that much on a 75" because I really wanted a bigger size, especially watching the parade and then Jurassic Park on my 73" with the kids Thanksgiving morning, my DLP does shine, it's just small to me... but WOW what a picture on the Sony!! I was really blown away and that was standing in a Best Buy store in the worst of lighting environment and set-up conditions. The 900E would have been a good compromise and was under serious consideration BUT I really lucked out and found the Samsung 82" for only $2,612 out the door from an authorized dealer (after price match and a cash back rebate) on Thanksgiving day. I just couldn't turn that down. At that price I'm already saving my $, starting today, for when Sony releases an 85" or 100" that looks as good as the 940E and costs $5k or less (I know it will be at least 3 years) I'm out of the country on vacation starting tonight until Dec 4th so hopefully I'll be able to get the articulating wall mount attached to the wall for my 82 Sammy so it's ready to hang when I get home.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:32 PM

Abe's of Maine is not an authorized dealer for sony or samsung. It is not a good idea to buy a tv online - most of the re sellers are not authorized and a lot of damage occurs on shipping tv's and you will be on your own dealing with it - they will abandon you once they get your money. Buyer beware - not a smart idea to do - don't be a sucker - just because they advertise it does not mean they are authorized. Tv's should always be purchased locally by authorized dealers.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:35 PM

If you are going to buy a tv from anyone not in your local market and you are bot 100% sure - specifically check if they are an authorized dealer - do not take anyone's word for it - check with the local sony rep to be sure. You will be amazed at how many people claim to be a dealer for many lines and if you checked, you would find out that many times they are not
Old 11-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
Abe's of Maine is not an authorized dealer for sony or samsung. It is not a good idea to buy a tv online - most of the re sellers are not authorized and a lot of damage occurs on shipping tv's and you will be on your own dealing with it - they will abandon you once they get your money. Buyer beware - not a smart idea to do - don't be a sucker - just because they advertise it does not mean they are authorized. Tv's should always be purchased locally by authorized dealers.
I bought from an authorized Samsung internet retailer. I triple checked before I bought. I just happened to luck out with a combination of a sale price, a price match and a website deal where I'm a member to get cash back, hence the final ridiculously low price. When I'm ready this summer to replace my smaller upstairs tv (65 or 70 inch) I'm going to go with a mid-range Sony and buy it from Ivan
Old 11-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Chicago dog - Glad you did your homework and bought from a real dealer. I know of many people that have had horrors buying tv's specifically out of market due to shipping damage, and re packs, etc. Just curious, why would you want to buy your next tv out of your market? What is the advantage to you? I ask this not to be confrontational, but out of curiosity, as tv's seem to be about the very worst thing you can buy online or remotely. They are heavy, fragile, difficult and expensive to move and ship. In addition, the top end of the samsung and sony's are effectively price protected and not available on line from authorized dealers, and the mid to lower end sets from these vendors have so little profit in them that they do not offer any savings buying remotely most of the time.

Last edited by trponhunter; 11-24-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:32 AM

I'm just starting to research 4K TV's and noticed that most people here are going for the Ultra HD LED TV's rather than OLED. From my limited understanding so far I understand there may be lifespan issues with the OLED technology plus additional cost at this point.

I saw some TV's today and the OLED was stunning in terms of blacks, reminding me somewhat of my current Plasma TV which has been fantastic. 4K is another dimension though so I'm teased once again!

If anybody can share their thoughts/views on the differences I'd appreciate it!

Thanks