AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 AM

Default Black lines on the upper and lower side of the screen

Good morning dear ht lovers,

I am a complete noob with home theater projectors, I just bought a Sony VPL-45ES projector for the first time in my life .
I have a 16/9 screen in my theater but when I play a movie the upper and the lower side stays dark so the screen is nog compleet filled in.
is this normal is there anything that I could do?

thanks in advance for the reply already
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default black lines on the upper and lower side of the screen

If the picture fills your 16:9 screen left to right and you have black bars at the top and bottom, I would check the settings in your source (cable/satellite box or BluRay/DVD player) and the projector to insure they are all set for 16:9 output. One or more of them may be set for 21:9...

Should be a simple fix
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters

Last edited by crwilli; 02-06-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
If the picture fills your 16:9 screen left to right and you have black bars at the top and bottom, I would check the settings in your source (cable/satellite box or BluRay/DVD player) and the projector to insure they are all set for 16:9 output. One or more of them may be set for 21:9...

Should be a simple fix
Thank u for your reply I am playing for the moment with a atv 3 and a MacBook.
Can't find the issue so far
Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Also, many movies are shot in aspect ratios wider than 16:9, resulting in those black bars, which is completely normal when you do not have a special adjustable lens and adjustable screen width.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Racing Hoopties

Just perused an Apple troubleshooting site and learned there is no way to set the aspect ratio with the ATV3. I found this reply to that question.

“There isn't one. Its output is designed purely for 16:9 widescreen TVs. Any adjustments thereafter must be made on the TV.

If videos display incorrectly either the TV aspect ratio is wrong, TV is not widescreen, the stream (Netflix) is wrong or the local video file is wrongly encoded. Of course if it's a 4:3 film or TV show then it will display as intended with black bars on sides on a widescreen TV...”

Have you tried different streams? TV versus Netflix/Hulu etc?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 02-06-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Just perused an Apple troubleshooting site and learned there is no way to set the aspect ratio with the ATV3. I found this reply to that question.

“There isn't one. Its output is designed purely for 16:9 widescreen TVs. Any adjustments thereafter must be made on the TV.

If videos display incorrectly either the TV aspect ratio is wrong, TV is not widescreen, the stream (Netflix) is wrong or the local video file is wrongly encoded. Of course if it's a 4:3 film or TV show then it will display as intended with black bars on sides on a widescreen TV...”

Have you tried different streams? TV versus Netflix/Hulu etc?
Thank u for al the information.
Some series are full screen the movies are with the black bars .
Thank u
Old 02-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Racing Hoopties

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 AM

16:9 is the HDTV ratio, which is 1.77:1.

Most if not all movies are shot in 1.85:1 which will leave thin black bars top and bottom.

Widescreen movies are shot in a standard ratio of 2.35:1, leaving thicker black bars top and bottom.

The NTSC TV ratio is 1.33:1, leaving large vertical bars on each side.

All of this is normal.

Buy a setup Blu-Ray. I like Digital Video Essentials. It will have test patterns for each aspect ratio, along with a plethora of useful tools to properly set white level, black level, gamma, etc.

If you don't like top and bottom bars, you can increase the vertical size slightly to eliminate the bars on 1.85:1 material. You risk chopping off the top and bottom of HDTV material but this is rarely an issue.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
16:9 is the HDTV ratio, which is 1.77:1.

Most if not all movies are shot in 1.85:1 which will leave thin black bars top and bottom.

Widescreen movies are shot in a standard ratio of 2.35:1, leaving thicker black bars top and bottom.

The NTSC TV ratio is 1.33:1, leaving large vertical bars on each side.

All of this is normal.

Buy a setup Blu-Ray. I like Digital Video Essentials. It will have test patterns for each aspect ratio, along with a plethora of useful tools to properly set white level, black level, gamma, etc.

If you don't like top and bottom bars, you can increase the vertical size slightly to eliminate the bars on 1.85:1 material. You risk chopping off the top and bottom of HDTV material but this is rarely an issue.

Tom
Thank u Tom.
I thought evry body has a full screen I was wrong I think