AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 05-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Since I was unfamiliar with the sound of Audio Research's reference system, I compared the VSi60 with the company's very best gear, namely its Reference Anniversary Preamplifier ($24,995), the Reference 250 power amps ($25,990), with a pair of Wilson Audio MAXX 3 speakers ($69,500). Before we go any further I have to admit something: I don't think Audio Research tube gear sounds "tubey." That is to say, overly rich, warm, or mellow. It doesn't sound like solid-state, either; Audio Research designs just provide a clear "window" to the sound of music.

High-end audio sounds great, lasts decades - CNET

A great Clean Sound!! Audio Research at its best!!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:26 PM

I agree that the ARC sound is not traditional tube sound but is not ss either. It is "high definition" 3d sound.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 05-20-2016, 03:12 PM

I agree that ARC is not tubey-sounding, and that's part of what I like about its products. What ARC has is incredible dynamics - what some audiophiles call the "jump factor." There's nothing else quite like it, imo, and it's especially apparent in its preamplifiers.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:16 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I agree that ARC is not tubey-sounding, and that's part of what I like about its products. What ARC has is incredible dynamics - what some audiophiles call the "jump factor." There's nothing else quite like it, imo, and it's especially apparent in its preamplifiers.
Great company no doubt about it. An American Audiophile Icon!!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
A number of years later, being very happy with my all Mac setup, I went to the same dealer to hear the then new MC 2301s with my Mac preamp (which they also had) to see how much I would stand to gain over my Mc2102 with the extra power. I listened to that system with Totem speakers. It was during that audition and my expression of interest in purchasing the 2301s that the salesperson said, "before you buy the MC 2301s, you should hear an all ARC system that we have in the other room which I think you will like more than an upgraded Mac system." I explained that I thought I had a pretty good idea of what ARC products sound like as I had auditioned them previously. But he insisted, so into the other room I went. The sound was simply among the best I had ever heard and far superior to my home system and the Mac system I had just heard down the hall. It was ARCs midlevel amp and preamp with Totem speakers that were one level below the Totem speakers in the Mac room.
Any idea which Totem speakers were being used? Looking to update my MC2105/C28 combo that are powering my Forests, and ARC is on my list.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:13 AM

It was years ago and I don't recall the model but it was not the top of the line speaker at that time but close to it.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,