AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-24-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Greetings from an old man listening to an old record, playing old music by an old composer, sung by an old singing group, led by an old conductor/director, performing in an old chapel, part of an old university, and, these old ears are enjoying every minute of it.

Listening to . . . Thomas Tallis - Tudor Church Music Record 1

Recorded in 1965 in the Chapel of Kings College, Cambridge

Choir of Kings College and the Cambridge University Musical Society Chorus - David Willcocks, Director

An Argo Long Playing vinyl record

Golly, golly, golly, this music is beautiful.
It's good to have Julian back posting here.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 PM

Default Mendelssohn: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4

Some nice tunes to wind down the weekend...

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op. 90 'Italian' Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Op. 56 'Scottish' Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Chamber Orchestra of Europe

I really enjoy listening to these fine symphonies and the interpretation from Harnoncourt and his young Chamber Orchestra of Europe forces are excellent with plenty of energy and punch. The early 1990s Teldec recording is very good (Harnoncourt has certainly aged since then).
Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

More music from Julian's inner sanctum. What the heck is a "sanctum" anyway?

In my case it is a secret place where I hide when my wife wants me to do some chores,
and where I can play music so loud I can't hear her when she calls.

And, here, hidden away, I'm listening to . . . . The Wonder of Karajan

Famous Overtures by Mendelssohn, Weber, Nicolai and Wagner

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Herbert von Karajan, Conductor

A very glorious EMI Odeon LP, recorded in 1962

And, yes, I did look for a smaller picture but couldn't find one, so I decided to go ahead anyway,
and ruin this otherwise superb page of all you guys' wonderful posts with this gigantic monstrosity.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-25-2016, 08:26 AM

Listening to . . . Mozart - Divertimento No. 15 in B Flat Major, K. 287

Liszt Ferenc Chamber Orchestra - Janos Rolla, Conductor

A Hungaroton LP, recorded in 1979 in Hungary

An excellent performance with excellent sound fidelity.

Mozart should possibly have been considered to be featured among the world's greatest wonders because of the vast amount of gorgeous music he wrote in his short lifetime - 35 years. I could probably listen to nothing but constant Mozart and remain quite satisfied. This relatively obscure piece of music - one of his divertimentos - is nothing short of beautiful - and is very well played here by the Liszt Ferenc Chamber Orchestra.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

CD 3

Shows Sempé even more as brilliant soloist on his harpsichord. (Julian, check this out! )
Also pieces with his ensemble Capriccio Stravagante.

Composers: Bach, Telemann, Domenico Scarlatti, Purcell, Buxtehude, Farina

The sound on these CDs is consistently excellent.
CD 5

A very fine disc!
Works of Couperin, Lully, Marais, Sainte-Colombe, Campra/Destouches, de la Barre, Muffat.
Yes, the French baroque that I love so much.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Listening to . . . Mozart - Divertimento No. 15 in B Flat Major, K. 287

Liszt Ferenc Chamber Orchestra - Janos Rolla, Conductor

A Hungaroton LP, recorded in 1979 in Hungary

An excellent performance with excellent sound fidelity.

Mozart should possibly have been considered to be featured among the world's greatest wonders because of the vast amount of gorgeous music he wrote in his short lifetime - 35 years. I could probably listen to nothing but constant Mozart and remain quite satisfied. This relatively obscure piece of music - one of his divertimentos - is nothing short of beautiful - and is very well played here by the Liszt Ferenc Chamber Orchestra.

Julian, my dear friend, so nice to see you posting again regularly here.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 PM

Default Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet

An oldie but goodie...

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64 (excerpts)
Charles Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra

Great music making by Dutoit and this excellent Quebecois orchestra. The Decca recorded sound, captured at the St Eustache church in Montreal, is sumptuous showcasing the wonderful brass section.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 PM

I was only familiar with Turina's guitar pieces, so I was curious to try some chamber music; I'm glad I did! Wonderfully melodic and impressionistic. Fantastic playing and sound--very rich and warm. Could that be due to my new tube amp?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM

Listening to . . . . Chopin - Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2

Martha Argerich - (fabulous) Piano
Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal - Charles Dutoit, Conductor

An EMI CD ©1999.

The No. 1 interpreter of Chopin's music, (IMHO) Martha Argerich, excels here in an excellent presentation of these great concertos. (O.K Concerti if you insist.). Beautiful music, very well played and very good sonics - (very good for a CD, that is )

Old 01-26-2016, 09:32 AM

Following Julian's trend, Argerich playing Chopin here this morning, with one of my other favorites, Mstislav Rostropovich (I love the name, too - can you roll your 'r's?), on a very nice DG recording of Chopin and Schumann works.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2