AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
I'm guessing I'm at the 50 hour mark now with the WW Gold Eclipse 6 speaker cables. I've never experienced a break in quite like this...usually things settle in a bit and small changes happen. With these cables, break in is huge. They started off almost unlistenable because of the sharpness of the highs -could even be described as bordering on shrill. I was really bummed because I had just unloaded a lot of cash and wanted to like them, but every time I did an A/B with my Audience AU24 e it was clear what I liked best.

For the past few days I haven't done any critical listening. I left my DirecTV box running on the funk channel and kept the cables active almost around the clock. Today, I sat down to reevaluate. I'm glad I gave these cables some time before giving up on them. Soundstage was a strength of these cables from the beginning, but it continues to open up and get more dynamic. The control of the lower frequencies is uncanny. I was already in awe of the bass of my EB1is, but these cables help tighten everything up to an ever greater level. The highest frequencies have always been my greatest concern with these cables. I am pleased to report things have settled down drastically...still brighter than the Audience but extremely detailed and smooth...no more sizzle. I've further remedied the highs by replacing the solid silver jumpers with high quality copper...nice change for the better. Then I toed the speakers out by a few degrees....the soundstage is just as impressive but now the tweeters are not firing directly at my ears....probably just over the outside of my shoulders at this point.

With a c2300 being introduced to the system in about one month, the tubes will probably help smooth things out even more.

Now, I'm a believer in the Gold 6 speaker cables. They just need some time. I wonder if I'll recognize more change in the coming hours....if they continue in this direction, I welcome it!

Hi Bikeman,

I was just wondering how your break-in with the WW Gold 6 speaker cables is coming along? I'm curious how they are sounding and how satisfied you are with them.

Best,
Ken
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Bikeman,

I was just wondering how your break-in with the WW Gold 6 speaker cables is coming along? I'm curious how they are sounding and how satisfied you are with them.

Best,
Ken
Hello, Ken,

I've made so many changes over the past six weeks that I'm having a hard time figuring everything out right now. Almost everything is new (IB2i, 501s, 2300, speaker cables). I am back to feeling that things are a bit too bright at the moment. I found a sweet spot with the 6600 and the EB1is regarding the right mix of tonality, resolution, sound stage, etc. I believe everything is broken in enough now with my new stuff to understand the sound signature. I swapped the Gold Lion tubes out of the 2300 yesterday for the stock tubes and that helped tame the highs some (I see more tube rolling in my immediate future.) I am going to borrow some copper cables from a friend to see if the WW Gold cables are contributing to the brightness.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I'm back to chasing my tail at the moment as I try to get everything settled in and settled down. If I end up going back to copper cables, I would be happy to send these to you for a trial run in your own system. I'm finding more and more that system synergy matters more than I ever expected it would....trying things out before buying needs to be a more regular practice for me.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
Hello, Ken,

I've made so many changes over the past six weeks that I'm having a hard time figuring everything out right now. Almost everything is new (IB2i, 501s, 2300, speaker cables). I am back to feeling that things are a bit too bright at the moment. I found a sweet spot with the 6600 and the EB1is regarding the right mix of tonality, resolution, sound stage, etc. I believe everything is broken in enough now with my new stuff to understand the sound signature. I swapped the Gold Lion tubes out of the 2300 yesterday for the stock tubes and that helped tame the highs some (I see more tube rolling in my immediate future.) I am going to borrow some copper cables from a friend to see if the WW Gold cables are contributing to the brightness.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I'm back to chasing my tail at the moment as I try to get everything settled in and settled down. If I end up going back to copper cables, I would be happy to send these to you for a trial run in your own system. I'm finding more and more that system synergy matters more than I ever expected it would....trying things out before buying needs to be a more regular practice for me.

Thanks,
Brent
Hi Brent,

Thanks so much for your update! Actually, it is helpful and very relevant to me. I have been experiencing some similar issues with my system. I have made many upgrades in the last 3 months: Esoteric K-01 CD player in December, Pass XP-30 preamp in January and Audience aR6-TSS power conditioner in February. When I added the XP-30 preamp, it bumped up the treble brightness. The addition of the power conditioner has smoothed out the treble a good deal but it is still somewhat brighter than I would like.

My next upgrade may well be interconnects and speaker cables. I feel this is a critical choice and the right selection could bring the treble balance back to neutral. I've been looking at WireWorld cables and I think they are a tremendous value. But the choice of copper vs. silver conductor will be an important one. I'll be very interested to hear if some of your treble brightness is cured by switching back to copper cables. And thanks for your offer to potentially loan me the Gold Eclipse cables for a trial run. I don't think it will be necessary but it is greatly appreciated.

Best of luck,
Ken
Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 PM
George

I always upgrade boxes first and try to avoid listening for the first 150 hours. I then wait until 600 hours before thinking about changing (buying) interconnects or power cords. Not long ago, when I had 80 hours on my Olyimpica 3's, they were too bright and I switched from Transparent speaker cable back to a Cardas Gold Cross... perfect for the next 7 hours, then the speakers calmed back down and I had to switch back to the Transparent. No matter how many times I tell myself not to listen and certainly not do anything, it is really hard not to.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I always upgrade boxes first and try to avoid listening for the first 150 hours. I then wait until 600 hours before thinking about changing (buying) interconnects or power cords. Not long ago, when I had 80 hours on my Olyimpica 3's, they were too bright and I switched from Transparent speaker cable back to a Cardas Gold Cross... perfect for the next 7 hours, then the speakers calmed back down and I had to switch back to the Transparent. No matter how many times I tell myself not to listen and certainly not do anything, it is really hard not to.
Hi George,

You make a great point. I'll be sure all my components are fully broken-in before I make any cable changes. I'll continue to research the cables for a few more months before I make any purchasing decisions.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
Excellent point, George. I know that all too often I've fallen prey to acting in haste and then repenting in leisure when I've made changes to ancillaries like cables, supports, etc. before fully breaking-in a new piece of equipment.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Excellent point, George. I know that all too often I've fallen prey to acting in haste and then repenting in leisure when I've made changes to ancillaries like cables, supports, etc. before fully breaking-in a new piece of equipment.
Thx. I am always put off by the idea that you budget a percent for interconnects and cables. Since you don't really know what the system is going to sound like until after breakin and you have listened for many many hours. If a dealer is recommending cables at that early stage, then he is presuming to know what your system will sounds like, and your taste, and your room. Also, I always shoot for the maximum I can possibly afford on a box. So I am broke... So, I need to recover, and figure out the level and kind of cable I want. One time I spend a well worth $2k on interconnects for a three year old $3k CD player... And it was completely worth it... Turns out my Nirvana cables work really well in the much better system I have today.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi George,

You make a great point. I'll be sure all my components are fully broken-in before I make any cable changes. I'll continue to research the cables for a few more months before I make any purchasing decisions.

Thanks,
Ken
Yes, it's a good idea to let things settle down before adding new components to the system be able to identify their sound signature and contribution. (However, I do get impatient sometimes and have made several changes at once)

When ready to try new cables, don't forget The Cable Company's lending library.