AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
8'2" apart. Center is centered and about 15" back from the plane of the L/R. 12' from that L/R plane to the MLP.
Thanks Kal. So the picture was a bit deceiving, the speakers are a bit further apart then they look.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lane View Post
Sorry for the basic follow-on question, but for these measurements, do you measure from the front and centers of the speakers?

I assume yes, but thought to ask - as these speakers are both wide and deep!

Best,

Matt
From the front of the tweeter.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
What is the plan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Please fill us in, are you getting the 800D2's perhaps?
I really can't discuss the plans without giving a little history.

We moved into a new area and home about 18 months ago. The new living space is wider than it is long, just the opposite of the old place. This orientation put the 800D directly in harms way of foot traffic. They took residence there for about six months until I decided it was in the best interest of the speakers to sell them. I didn't want to part with them but I couldn't keep them where they were for fear of something happening to them and I didn't want to stick them in storage for the next 3-4 years either.

I quickly picked up a pair of CM5 until I could decide what I wanted to do for the interim as we are planning to move yet again in the next 2-3 years. I debated getting the 804D2 for the reasons I sold the 800D but in the end they are less physically protrusive and I can easily protect and/or evacuate them from the room when needed. Some risk of injury to the 804D2 will remain but the personal stresses will be equally less as well.

I have completely sold off the hybrid 2.0/5.1 system consisting of the old 800 Series models that I had before and am gradually moving towards a dedicated 2.0 and 7.1 system that will consist of 800D2's or whatever might be available in 2-3 years and the new CI 800 Series in-walls.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM

I can understand the reasoning, it's stressful when the speakers are exposed. I live in an apartment and my 802's are out in the open as it were so when company is over I watch people very closely and perform double duty as a proximity alarm.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Precisely. Unfortunately for me I spent more time policing than listening and that made living with the 800D very stressful not to mention the HTM1D was equally susceptible.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
8'2" apart. Center is centered and about 15" back from the plane of the L/R. 12' from that L/R plane to the MLP.
Interesting, is that 12' perpendicular to the L/R plane? My setup would be virtually identical to yours but only if you are 12' back WRT each L/R channel.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
Precisely. Unfortunately for me I spent more time policing than listening and that made living with the 800D very stressful not to mention the HTM1D was equally susceptible.
Ah man, you have the HTM1D also, lucky bugger. I curse B&W to this day for discontinuing that speaker, such a slap in the face for the audio purist who wants to have either the 802 or 800 as the center but can't due to logistics.

I have a great deal of respect for Wilson for continuing to offer large centers to compliment their lineup. Even Focal with the Viva center is a great center to compliment their Scala, Maestro and even the Stella.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 PM

RebelMan I didn't know you were here on this forum. Last time I seen you was many years ago at the CES Show in Vegas, and I see you brought the Kalman with you or did He bring You.This is a great Forum. It truly is wonderful here. Just a Bunch of great people.
Nice to hear from you Guys.
Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 12-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
RebelMan I didn't know you were here on this forum. Last time I seen you was many years ago at the CES Show in Vegas, and I see you brought the Kalman with you or did He bring You.This is a great Forum. It truly is wonderful here. Just a Bunch of great people.
Nice to hear from you Guys.
Glenee
Hey there Glenee! I am just as pleasantly surprised to see you too. Seems to be lots of familiar faces around here. I recall passing by this forum a while back but didn't pay too much attention to it then. It has grown some since then I see. I have become a little disenchanted with the direction the other place took so it seemed like a good time to find another resting place and the prospects here look really good to me. Thanks for reaching out. It's good to hear from you!