AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM

"I do not want junk china PMC loads."
PMC is made in South Korea by one of the worlds largest ammo manufacturers, Poongsan Corporation.

Steve
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 AM

regardless it is junk and weak.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
Not to sound like a smart ass here, but I have a collection of about 10 rifles and 50 or so handguns. I hate hunting and feel like shit when I kill something, but do enjoy target shooting and the occasional casual killing of hobos. Having said that, I think I have maybe 200 rounds of ammo for the odd calibers, and perhaps 500 or so for the popular ones; .45, 9MM, .357, etc. I feel completely armed. How much does everyone else store? I am honestly curious.
To answer mr Anderson's earlier question.

I own 2- . 22's, one .243 in rifles. 2-20 ga's, and 4-12 ga shotguns. I have one box of .22's, three boxes of .243, a box and a half of 20 ga shells, 0 boxes of 12 ga, and maybe 16-18 deer slugs.

IOW, I buy as needed.

mc275VI 50th anniversary edition, c2300, rega p5, aerial acoustics 7t, Bryston BDA-1 dac, yamaha cdx550, dual 1237 turntable (not in use)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Supplies on some ammo have eased. I was able to buy bulk 45 acp and 7.62 without a problem, can't find any cases of .22LR or Mac2.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
regardless it is junk and weak.
Respectfully disagree -- while I do not go out looking for PMC, I have never had ANY issues with it -- it is at least as good as white box Winchester or the cheaper loads from Remington.

MikeSp
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Retired

+1 on the PMC ammo I've used. No problems with any of it in either accuracy or operation in my rifles and pistols. Goes bang and hits where pointed.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM

I stock up on my weird calibers, 5.7X28, 7,62X54R, .45LC, and I usually try to keep about 2-5000 rounds on hand because I consider that fairly close to a lifetime supply.

I noticed someone else state they're a gun collector who doesn't hunt. Me too! I'm a vegan and dont want to kill something unless it poses danger to me and my family.

I'm also terrified that the easy availability of ammo is going to end in my lifetime, and that ammo will possibly become illegal to own. This is why I stockpile. PMC I think is the company who invented the "limited life primer" so bullets will 'expire' in the near future.

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 07-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
I stock up on my weird calibers, 5.7X28, 7,62X54R, .45LC, and I usually try to keep about 2-5000 rounds on hand because I consider that fairly close to a lifetime supply.

I noticed someone else state they're a gun collector who doesn't hunt. Me too! I'm a vegan and dont want to kill something unless it poses danger to me and my family.

I'm also terrified that the easy availability of ammo is going to end in my lifetime, and that ammo will possibly become illegal to own. This is why I stockpile. PMC I think is the company who invented the "limited life primer" so bullets will 'expire' in the near future.
Same here, non hunter, just a protector of what's mine and dear to me.

Have sold a few guns lately and have a decent amount of ammo. Yet I need to stock up on some weird stuff too, 9mm Mak.

Need another magazine for my CZ 27 also.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
I feel completely armed. How much does everyone else store? I am honestly curious.
Atleast 1000 rounds per caliber...
Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 PM

I was an Eagle Scout and I guess I took that "Be Prepared" thing to heart. I'm not an end-of-the-world prepper or anything close to that, but I have had moments of clarity where I realize how stupid it would be if I and my family were about to die (or starve) for the silly reason that I didn't have any more ammo for my guns. I spent 20+ years working in law enforcement (Asst Dist Atty) so I probably have a skewed view on things like personal safety (or should I say a more realistic view). I have seen pure evil and know that it exists in our midst no matter where we live.

Every year, we all spend thousands of dollars to insure our property against possibilities that are remote at best. Why not spend a few hundred bucks to insure your family's lives by putting away some ammo? It will last the rest of your life if you don't store it outside. If nothing else, you or your heirs can go target shooting with it. You can't do anything with the money you have spent on other insurance.

I reload every caliber I shoot so I haven't bought any new factory ammo for anything but .22 in years. But I have a healthy supply of components - enough to give Ivan a run for the money if it was all assembled. The odds are that any one of us would be killed long before we shot up thousands of rounds of ammo in some kind of conflict, and I don't see it as some kind of battle preparations. I think of it as a legacy for the kids in the family. They may not be able to buy some of the guns I'll be leaving them and may not be able to buy a good supply of ammo, either. Look at it as life insurance for them and their families. Who knows, maybe for the country as well.

On PMC, I bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm and .223 when I bought my first guns. That was almost 40 years ago and I'm still reloading some of that brass. It was very comparable to LC, the brass used by our military. It is tough as nails. I'm not familiar with what they sell today.

But that bit about a shelf life on primers is an internet myth IMO. The notion was brought up by the anti-gunners back in the Clinton years, but it is just not feasible, either scientifically or commercially.