AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM

They are in a fairly large room, approx. 23x15 with a 15' cathedral ceiling.
The back wall of the room, one of the long walls, opens up into another fairly large room.
The speakers are on the long wall and have no trouble filling the space.
They play plenty big if need be, but, more importantly, they are absurdly involving to listen to. They track the music with crazy ardor.
All you Shindo heads would do well to check them out.
I have played mine with both a Cortese and Corton Charlemagnes.
For purposes of comparison, I also have a mint pair of Altec Valencia 846As that I switch in and out. The Line Magnetics do not have the slam that the Altecs have on certain types of music, but I can assure you that that aside, the LMs win hands down for involvement, finesse and just about any typical audiophile quality you care to mention.
I dont know how to post photos of my setup on this site, but if anyone shoots me an email, I can send photos. My email is jillialex@optonline.net.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondkaufman View Post
Anyway, I had a great visit with Matt. During this time we were looking at how to upgrade from my current Aurieges / Montille EL84 / Super 8 system. My decision now is to choose: while keeping the Montille and budget, do I go a) Monbrison with the O/96 or b) Masseto with the O/93. It is a chicken or egg decision - any considered thoughts would be welcome, as it is all very wonderful!
Jonathan K.
Having heard both the O/93 and O/96 on identical Shindo gear, I can tell you either one is a great choice, but for my money I'd go with the O/96 if you can swing it. It's a more "complete" speaker, certainly more nuanced and refined. I think you'll get a better "jump" going from the O/93 to the O/96 than from the Monbrison to the Masseto. Plus, like most everyone here, I think you'll eventually end up with both the O/96 and the Masseto. Or you might just skip the Masseto altogether and go for the VR.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBass View Post
For purposes of comparison, I also have a mint pair of Altec Valencia 846As that I switch in and out. The Line Magnetics do not have the slam that the Altecs have on certain types of music, but I can assure you that that aside, the LMs win hands down for involvement, finesse and just about any typical audiophile quality you care to mention.
I'm curious how you find the combination of the Valencias with the Cortese. What does the rest of your setup consist of?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNY View Post
Having heard both the O/93 and O/96 on identical Shindo gear, I can tell you either one is a great choice, but for my money I'd go with the O/96 if you can swing it. It's a more "complete" speaker, certainly more nuanced and refined. I think you'll get a better "jump" going from the O/93 to the O/96 than from the Monbrison to the Masseto. Plus, like most everyone here, I think you'll eventually end up with both the O/96 and the Masseto. Or you might just skip the Masseto altogether and go for the VR.

Hope this helps.
...JDK Update: After crunching and obsessing, I came to the same conclusion as everyone else - I have placed my Masseto order with Matt...once I get it in and see what changes occur, I will most likely go with the O/96 for the same reason as everyone has mentioned...now, I wait!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
...JDK Update: After crunching and obsessing, I came to the same conclusion as everyone else - I have placed my Masseto order with Matt...once I get it in and see what changes occur, I will most likely go with the O/96 for the same reason as everyone has mentioned...now, I wait!
Atta boy!

That will be a great system for sure. Keep us posted.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I am sure you will love the Masseto, it's a wonderful piece of kit, as the Brit's would say...

Barr
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 PM

Combination of the Valencias and the Cortese -
Absolutely awesome. If you have a decent sized room, you will not believe how good the Valencias mate with the Cortese.
Or the Corton-Charlemagnes for that matter, which is what I am using now.
Rest of system : analog Origin Live Encounter/Resolution TT and Tonearm
ZYX Airy 3X with Silver Base, A23 SUT for low imp. Carts.
Digital. music hall cd25 as transport, teddy pardo teddy dac
Cables- all A23 except from Masseto to power amp which is Shindo
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Update again! I gave in to my dark side (I.e., impatience) and have placed my o/96 order with Matt and John D. Therefore, in a few months, I will have done a seriou heart transplant
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM

What is our narrative? As an update to my chicken or the egg question earlier, I have decided and ordered both the Masseto and the O/96s from Matt. But the question remains why these and not something else...

While I can't speak for you, the narrative for me is connection and support. With the Shindo/Devore combination, there is a palpable connection to the music and the intent behind the words/sound. Is it the end all, be all? Probably not. Is it the most accurate, probably not. Is it the most value oriented, probably not. Are there other options? Definitely. Do these questions even matter? That is for each of us to decide, but I have decided to put my money here because, for me, it is right.

Regarding support, I love the narrative of these products - the family business in Japan, making magic with their own hands, ears and thoughts. With John D, I love seeing pictures of his family, the connections with a small group of like-minded persons, and knowing that he is pouring everything he has into making his own magic. I read the discourse after Art Dudley's review - the "I don't get it" comments posted - and I note that the responders have decided their own narrative. Their choice. My choice is to believe in and support John. I could have chosen other speaker brands which may be more accurate, better, etc., but I do not know them and they do not have the connection for me...I also choose to support Matt - he goes above and beyond for his customers (who look to him as a friend). For me, the narrative is making our obsession into a family affair - with Matt, John, Jonathan H, Keith A., and Shindo.

Are they the best, maybe, but they are my family!
Jonathan K.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM

Oh sure, we're here racking our brains for you. Should he do Monbrison/96's or Massetto/93's. Then you just have at that whole cake- LOL ! It's about the music, and the O's and Shindo GET IT. Plain and simple. Congrats on a well thought out purchase, and welcome to the family. Just don't expect us to let you borrow the car. Cheers-Don