AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Gryphon Equipment

Have any of you had a chance to listen to a system with Gryphon equipment? Just wondering because of all the amp companies that I've seen talked about in this forum I prefer the Gryphon's over them. They don't have the typical dry harsh sound I tend to hear when listening to the so called "ultra high-end amps"....boulder, goldmund, burmester, etc....

Anyhow just throwing a log in the fire to strike up some discussion lol.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Hi Matt...I know Andy Payor of Rockport Technologies really likes to showccase his speakers with Gryphon Amplification. He has done so many times at various audio shows. I really like his speakers. I have not had a chance to personally hear the Gryphon equipment though.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_zak View Post
Have any of you had a chance to listen to a system with Gryphon equipment? Just wondering because of all the amp companies that I've seen talked about in this forum I prefer the Gryphon's over them. They don't have the typical dry harsh sound I tend to hear when listening to the so called "ultra high-end amps"....boulder, goldmund, burmester, etc....

Anyhow just throwing a log in the fire to strike up some discussion lol.
The only all Gryphon system I have heard was in Singapore. It was very nice but also very pricey. Unless you plan on keeping them for a long time I do not think there is a huge market in NA for the product, so I would keep that in mind.

Jim
Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM

Stillone, I agree their new equipment is VERY pricey. One of the nearest dealers to me is in Switzerland. I had him email me the current pricing for 2010 lol their amps START at CHF 44,000 and the frank to the dollar exchange rate is crap atm.

I'm considering looking for a used amp down the road. I've heard the older DM100 and it was stellar. I've owned and sold Mcintosh amps before so I might just settle on the tried and true 402 or splurge for the 501's. That'll be atleast a year down the road though. Gotta get new speakers first!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM

What are you thinking about on the speaker front Matt? Also are there any high-end audio dealers in SA? I know there are a bunch in Dubai and I think one or two in Lebanon but wasn't sure if any in SA...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 PM

Class A, no negative feedback Gryphon amps are nice indeed but there are other class A amps out there that are also very special.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Try Luxman or Accuphase Class A products. They are built like swiss watches and utilized very high end components.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 PM

How about Coda, Lamm, Plinius, Pass just to name a few? They are all either full/lower powered Class A or higher powered hybrids for more demanding loads. I am a big Class A, low to no negative feedback fan, they just sound right to my ears! No transistor crossover notch distortion (like many tube amps), as trivial as it may seem, it makes the amps sound more natural and relaxed. Of course loads of negative feedback makes for impressive paper specs on very low distortion.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 PM

A friend of mine has a Gryphon system. Nice and expensive.

Dave
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM

cmalak: Right now I'm waiting to audition some Sonus Faber's. I've already listend to a few Focal JM Labs locally and they didn't do it for me. If the Sonus Fabers don't do it for me I'll have to make a trip to Dubai and listen to the Dynaudio, ProAc, Verity and a couple others.

PHC1: I haven't heard the Lamm or the Pass amps. Although reading reviews on them over the years they have intrigued me. There hasn't been a dealer near me that carries them though wherever I have lived.