AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 11-27-2016, 10:03 AM

Thanks jfrech, I am unable to audition the Twenty's where I live, so would have to do it on blind faith...and it does worry me, what if I prefer the original? I will see what happens but the trip to the factory will be arduous from Australia so not something I am likely to do twice.
What did the Nagra do above the Twenty? I like the detail in the standard MR-x would hate it to be "more tube like"( ie. mellow?), it's the dynamics and pace that I like, perhaps fast a better word.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:11 AM

redsectora , my amps are in free space next to each speaker so can't improve on ventilation. running a fan is not an option. Years ago (like 20) I visited a house where the owner had periodically spray some aerosol on his Mark Levinson's to stop them overheating I don't want to go down that path!!
It is summer in Australia, but they worked flawlessly through 2 previous summers so I doubt it is ambient room temperature...and it is one amp that heats up very quickly.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:14 AM

ct schooner...that's what worries me I don't want a completely different amp...I really like the MR-x . Better, yes, different, I'm not sure about
Old 11-27-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
Thanks jfrech, I am unable to audition the Twenty's where I live, so would have to do it on blind faith...and it does worry me, what if I prefer the original? I will see what happens but the trip to the factory will be arduous from Australia so not something I am likely to do twice.

What did the Nagra do above the Twenty? I like the detail in the standard MR-x would hate it to be "more tube like"( ie. mellow?), it's the dynamics and pace that I like, perhaps fast a better word.

dinster - I demoed the Nagra classic amp and a Nagra preamp in my system at the same time had the MxR Twenty and KXR Twenty on demo. To my ears, the Ayre Twenty combo was better. More organic with better midrange. I could always detect a tiny, small trace of solid state electronics sounds with Nagra, but none with the Ayre combination.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
ct schooner...that's what worries me I don't want a completely different amp...I really like the MR-x . Better, yes, different, I'm not sure about

Not different. Really just so much better in all aspects. They corrected any problems etc and have a much faster amp that's more musical. Ayre is neither Ruben or SS. They just get it correct. They have lowered the noise floor even more with their filtering of the power line and it gives much more micro and macro detail. When I say a new amp, it is but still has that sonic signature that is Ayre. I've seen people change brands, but many often do in audio just because they wanted something new. I've not spoken to anyone who has done the upgrade in any of the Ayre models who wasn't pretty blown away and happy. The nice thing is that there is a good size market of you are not happy. Go read the other forums by Ayre owners who did upgrades. You will always find one or two like aardvark who aren't happy and want to bash the former company on the way out the door, but that's pretty rare I think. JMHO
Old 11-29-2016, 04:26 AM

Dinster - I'm in Australia and had the same problem about 2 - 3 years ago. One of the MX-R started to overheat after 2 odd hours of use. Back then Ayre had just announced the MX-R upgrade. I phoned Ayre and they said that the new MX-R Twenty boards would fix the issue as well as upgrade the sound. But because the twenty upgrade was was just announced it was going to take a while for it to be available in Australia.

I phoned Audio Connections (Sydney's - main Ayre dealer) and they recommended not to wait until the new boards were available as they felt that the longer I waited other problems may occur with the amp. So I dropped the "problem" amp to Audio Connections and their Tech fixed the issue without needing it to go back to US (I can't remember the cost of the repairs). I think it was a week (possibly two) turnaround. When it came back it actually ran a little cooler than the one that did not have the problem.

Also when I phoned Ayre - they said that the local Australian tech can do the Twenty upgrade - they would just need to supply the new boards to Australia (but please recheck this).

So it can be fixed locally or if you want to upgrade to Twenty status - it should be able to be done Locally In Australia, without needing to go back to U.S.

hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:59 PM

I had VX-R four plus years and ran into same problem with output device overheat/ fail. i did upgrade to Twenty when amp was back at factory where they took fantastic care of me.

Some observations after a year or so with the amp driving Vandersteen 7 mk2.

A much more tubelike amp than the initial configuration - mids are smoother more fleshed out richer - even a bit full. the treble has lost a bit of extreme air and extension. the old config when left on had a very delicate etched quality and shimmer that for me in my system anyway is missing. I had to leave the old config on 24/7 to get best sound - the Twenty kicks A in about 10 minutes. bass is better defined. I will say that many of my comparative hours were with Vandersteen 5a.
Is it worth the extra $ ?
Probably IF it gets you out of the old thermaltrac output devices and into a new warranty period.
Hope this helps.
ayre product and support are first rate in my book and experience.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Upgrades to 20 series are done locally by authorised dealers
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM

Tom, I have roughly the same things to say about my AX5 Twenty upgrades.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:55 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Things move slowly from 20,000 miles away...You have persuaded me to go for the upgrade, hope I don't regret it, will post my impressions when it happens.