AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Cyrll,
This is the Clearaudio Ivan has...it can be yours for $2400....

Get the Okki Nokki and call it a day.

I cannot honestly recommend the VPI 16.5 at this time with the Okki Nokki available at or around the same price point.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM

This will solve your problems.......

Last edited by Removed; 03-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Clearaudio only has one machine available right now and its the Double matrix II at $3900.....all other machines are on hold and the new matrix that was at CES was a proto type but not in production yet for the US, they still need to work some things out.....There are a few of the discountinued models floating around or on the used market though....The machine Puma Cat refered to above is now discontinued.

Here is the new Double Matrix II

Last edited by Removed; 03-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Cyril, I have the CA Double Matrix cleaner. It does a great job at cleaning the albums simultaneously on both sides. But as stated, it's not the cheapest cleaner out there. it's also not very quiet when the vacuum is engaged. That's a non issue for me, because I don't clean and listen at the same time.

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Gents...thanks for all the feedback. I have been away since Thursday night and just got back in so just catching up with all the AA commentary. I posted this thread well before I bought my recent vinyl set-up. I ended up getting the VPI 16.5 because it is tried and true.

Stephen, I agree with you that the build quality is not great but for now it will do.

Jeff, which Hannl RCM did you post above and how much does it go for?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Stephen, I agree with you that the build quality is not great but for now it will do.
Yeah, that's kind of the situation I'm in right now.

BTW, I just broke the frickin' clear plastic vacuum tube off at the delrin nozzle because I did not depress the nozzle sufficiently when closing the lid...what a stupid design.

Have to order up more cleaning fluids so it looks like I will ordering another vacuum tube...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Gents...thanks for all the feedback. I have been away since Thursday night and just got back in so just catching up with all the AA commentary. I posted this thread well before I bought my recent vinyl set-up. I ended up getting the VPI 16.5 because it is tried and true.

Jeff, which Hannl RCM did you post above and how much does it go for?
HannL Micro EL retail is $2525

IMO these are the very best when it comes to the Vacuum wand style machines on the market......These have adjustable platter speed, reverse, foward and adjustable vacuum speed......and there quite too!!

Here is some info I wrote in another thread about the HannL:

The Aragon is HannL flagship machine and the US prices have incresesd a bit....Arogon now is $4395 and Micro EL is $2525 retail......I sell both machines and have had them side by side. The differences between the two are the Aragon has the cleaning brush built in, auto fluid dispencer and has a sloped front, and price.......other than those difference they are the same. After using many cleaning machines I find the one's that offer two sided cleaning, auto fluid dispencer, built in cleaning brush, etc are designed more for convience than effectiveness IMO, the Micro has been the clear winner for me........and less money!

Key features to look for are adjustable vac speed, if you slow the vac down a bit you create less turbilence inside the vac pick up tube and therefor it will pick up the fluid better......slowing the platter speed down allows you to get 99% of the fluid off the LP in one revolution a most important thing IMO.....spin the platter to many times and you create friction which creates static and then you have a static mess, ever hear people bitch about static on there LPs well spinning the platter three or four revolutions trying to get the fluid will most likely induce static on your LP. So a slower platter speed will allow more contact time with the vac to LP and slowing the vac speed down will allow better fluid removal.

The one flaw with auto fluid dispencer machines are there not a closed sealed systems so if you fill the resevoir with fluid and don't use all of it then it just sits there and will loose its effectiveness over a short time......The make up of cleaning solutions need to be in a sealed container, many multi-step cleaning fluids use Enzymes in the mix and if its exposed (not in sealed container) it looses its effectiveness quickly. To me its just as easy to squirt the fluid on the LP vs using auto fluid dispence......another thing is the built in cleaning brush, you really don't have the control to guide the brush and pressure applied to the LP which in return I feel it less effective......The machines that scrub both sides do a good job on the top side but less so underneath plus fluid drips off the LP and its a mess........plus the price is a bit over the top for semi flawed features.

Since I'm in the record cleaning fluid business and market my own I have done 1000 of hours of testing not only with my own fluids but with every brand on the market.....we have tested all the fluids in sealed and non sealed containers and find they loose there effectiveness pretty quick if not sealed up so leaving unused fluid in the auto dispencer is not good. Not being able to steer the brush along the LP and applying the desired pressure is also not as effective and with the built in brush you get what you get.

95% of my customers prefer the machines that just spin the platter and vac.....and me too!

The majority of what gets the record clean is the type of fluid being used and how you apply it along with manual brushing.......and of course getting the fluid off the LP which most do a good job of that anyway......Another key element for clean LPs is using a rinse that leaves nothing behind and most important leaves no sonic residial.

Last edited by Removed; 03-13-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Clearaudio only has one machine available right now and its the Double matrix II at $3900.....all other machines are on hold and the new matrix that was at CES was a proto type but not in production yet for the US, they still need to work some things out.....There are a few of the discountinued models floating around or on the used market though....The machine Puma Cat refered to above is now discontinued.

Here is the new Double Matrix II
Do you know why all the other machines are on hold?

Eddie
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiel View Post
Do you know why all the other machines are on hold?

Eddie
Right now it looks that Clearaudio will just have two models, the Doble matrix II which is available now and the updated Matrix which is the one not yet available. I was told they are making some last minute updates and changes. Its expected to be on the market in a month or two......
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yeah, that's kind of the situation I'm in right now.

BTW, I just broke the frickin' clear plastic vacuum tube off at the delrin nozzle because I did not depress the nozzle sufficiently when closing the lid...what a stupid design.

Have to order up more cleaning fluids so it looks like I will ordering another vacuum tube...
(Disclaimer: Sumiko is the North American Distributor of the Okki Nokki)

I would suggest you guys find a dealer who has both the Okki Nokki and the VPI and compare. The VPI has been the benchmark in the budget category for years. In fact ours at Sumiko was used heavily until Norbert came back from Germany with an Okki Nokki. Once we tried one we never looked back.

I'll leave it you to decide. You only have to buy 1. Based on what we experienced we bought every one they could supply. There's a reason we continue to be heavily backordered and it's not lack of production.

Last edited by metaphacts; 03-17-2011 at 09:42 AM.