AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 PM

Default Love the sound of ARC amps, anxious about at least annual retubing costs

I currently own a solid state amp and it's usually on 24x7x365 because I like hearing music from my system whenever I'm within earshot of it.

Obviously if I went with an ARC amp that would need to change, but I'm concerned about the annual maintenance costs of a tube amp.

It appears based on hours of usage I'd need to retube at least annually (a rough back of envelope calculation comes out to somewhere around at least 2800 hours per year based on my listening habits); is that just the KT120s or would the 6H30s need to be replaced on the same schedule?

Also, since we don't know about the Ref. 150 yet, does anyone know what the cost is to retube a Reference 110 (assuming ARC tubes)?

I suspect that the real answer is to stick with solid state, but I do love that sound of the Reference 110 (and so I assume I'd love the Ref. 150 as well.)

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 AM

Bill...the 6550 output tubes on the Ref 110 ought to last about 2000 hours before start of sonic degradation. They cost $800 to retube if purchased from ARC and about half of that if you get from a reputable 3rd party tube dealer. The KT120s in all current production amps (Ref 110 and in the upcming Ref 150) are not being driven to their operating limit so that should extend tube life. I am not sure if that means 3000 or 4000 hours but worth a call into Audio Research to find out what they expect tube life to be in the Ref 110 or the Ref 150. I believe they cost about $1,000 currently to retube either a Ref 110 or a Ref 150 for 2 quads. Again, I am assuming you can cut that in half if you get them from a third party tibe dealer. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 AM

Tima...great system
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Searching for the Sound!

I went through a similar decision. Love the sound but was concerned about the cost and hassle of the power amp tube replacement. Especially as I will ultimately end up with a REF5 and a REFPhono 2.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM

The thing you have to remember with the ARC tube amps is they only need to be on when you are listening, within a few minutes they sound fine and within 15 or 20 minutes are 100%. Assuming you are listening for three hours a day the tubes well over two years.
I just replaced the tubes in my Ref 110 with K120s from ARC and it was $800 which is expensive, but they should last me over three years, so if I cost average it that is not bad.
I went from a good solid state amp to the ARC amp and would not go back.
Good luck, Tim
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 PM

TMcD...interesting. I thought 2 quads of KT-120s was a $1000 from ARC. Good to know it's $800. I am probably going to pull the trigger on the switch from 6550 pretty soon. Thx

PS: Agree with your calculations on tube life but I believe the OP was suggesting he likes to keep the amp and music going for a lot longer than 3 hours a day.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:20 PM

The K120 were $100 each, plus $15 shipping. The timing of the availability of the 120s was good as my original tubes had 2500 hours on them. It is a very worth while upgrade.
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 AM

I suspect I'll need to stay solid state; my audio system would be on at least eight hours a day as it is used not only for "serious listening" but "background listening" (reading the paper, eating dinner, etc.) as well as my home theater system (watching everything from movies to the local news.)

Last edited by BillK; 05-19-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 AM

BillK...if I may make a suggestion. You may want to check out ARC's DS-225 or the DS-450 (depending on how much power you need) and combine them with an ARC pre-amp (maybe the LS-27) and you'll get much of the ARC tube sound without many of the tube hassles in the power amp. Just a thought:

DS225 Stereo Power Amplifier

Audio Research DS450 Stereo Power Amplifier

Audio Research LS27 Line-Stage Preamplifier
Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 AM

Have you considered the HD220 or any of the new DS series? They still have a big dose of the ARC sound and sound especially so when paired with an ARC pre. They just might be the balance of sound & livability for which you are searching.