AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Rebellious!

From David

Quote:
McIntosh MB100, things that go bump in the night...[if you are an MB100 owner, take note]
At an execrated rate, client side softare/OS is becoming every more predetermine to chat back and forth with server end instructions and push/process updates transparently. Convenient...is it? As with everything, there are pros and cons and there really isn't any absolutes. But there are, of course, situations that an automated script the runs the aforementioned might not behove the end user.

Lets explore a circumstance whereby said script rendered my MB100 into a rather expensive but attractive paper weight.

BACK STORY
I purchased the MB100 upon debut. In fact, I met Sir Charlie R. at House of Music in SF. There both he and Ron C demonstrated the unit. OMG...It's McIntosh. I bought it. Or rather, I ordered it.

When it did arrive, I disassembled the unit and mirrored the stock drives on to two Samsung PRO drives: 128 GB for the OS and 1TB for content. I also updated the RAM with more memory and a lower CL rating to boost performance. I also replaced the power source with a HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply. The one included is a DELL Brick that is noisy...it actually bzzzzzz's. FYI: the Mobo is an AS Rock H61TM-ITX with an Intel® Core™ i3-3220T Processor (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz). This is not a high-end Mobo but it works. The DAC is all McIntosh.

To that point, I also offloaded a bit for bit copy of the OS into a image file. Finally, I explored the system MoBO BIO and took screen shots of each and every page documenting all the settings.

I know this unit inside and out!

THE ISSUE

A couple of weeks ago, Autonomic-Controls pushed what they call a Firmware update. Actually, it's a software update. The MB100 runs Windows 7. [why fix something if it isn't broke and Autonomic-Controls does not disclose what the fixes or, if any, enhancements are]

Thus...without my knowlege or consent they updated my MB100 OS from: 5.1.8368.0 to 5.219572.99. I can roll back, thought. I have the fresh out of the box master drives and can over-write their push.

Then also of a sudden. I got the blue screen of death. Yes, the Windows Blue Screen of Death!
I contacted McIntosh and was direct to call Autonomic-Controls and they told me to call McIntosh and that the system was hosed...with the Blue Screen of Death. Either the board or software is corrupt.

Needless to say, i was disappointed. Since they mentioned corruption I started digging. I Booted into the Mobo Bios and when through each and every screen many times until I noticed something. The MoBo BiOS/ROM had been flashed from HM61TM-ITX L1.50C to H61TM-ITX P1.60.

Two event transpired in short order:
Autonomic-Controls forced a software firmware update: 5.1.8368.0 to 5.219572.99 and,
AS Rock forced a BIOS update: HM61TM-ITX L1.50C to H61TM-ITX P1.60

The BIOS update rendered the MB100 incapable of booting the version of Windows 7 customer configured by Autonomic-Controls.

I contacted McIntosh, Autonomics and AS Rock. No one had or was willing to provide a retroactive BIOS ROM that I could flash, particularly the HM61TM-ITX L1.50C dated circa 2014
With persistance, I took a risk and track down a copy of H61TITX1.30G and refreshed the Mobo Bios and the system is running flawlessly again.
Yes, rolling the Mobo BIOS back a few generations returned the MB100 onto working order.

LESSON LEARNED
As an owner of the MB100 you much arm yourself with a disaster recovery plan:
1. Mirror bit for bit copies of the MB100 drives as they were untouched/new [OS and Content drives]
2. Copy of Mobo Bios ROM [hunt it down!]
3. Admin user id and password protect your Mobo to prevent updates.
As far as I can tell, it appears that there is no one out there that is single an expert at repairing this device. McIntosh will direct you to Autonomic-Controls and Autonomic-Controls will send you back to McIntosh. So, it seems I’m the only what knows the gears of the MB100. Shall I open a McIntosh MB100 hotline? LOL. Seriously, just being funny and if you are having MB100 issues, hit me up. I can help. I love the device and you do have to learn it deeply...but once you do, you will fall in love with the player. It truly does so much.