AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
They had the Sophia's at CES this year in a small booth with some tube gear that I cannot remember.

It sounded wonderful compared to the surrounding rooms - even with that metal dome the highs were not obtrusive or bright at all. If something sounded like garbage we tended to "calm" our ears by going back to those speakers or the XR200 room...
Yeah, so far so good with the titanium tweeter. I was a bit worried about it. While I can tolerate some variations in the midrange, there are two things that are a big turn off for me, bloated bass and shrill highs. The Sophia's seem to be very well balanced top to bottom.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......How long do you estimate it will take to break the Sophia's in? Do you break-in speakers at higher volume, or extended play time?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 AM

Hi Serge,

Congrats. on your new speakers. I actually think they look pretty good with your lamm amps. . Going from a monitor to a floor standing speaker obviously gives you a deeper bass at the cost of losing the amazing imaging your SF monitor had. Enjoy them for a year; I predict after you have had fun with this new girl you'll be back to SF. I see a pair of Elipsa or Strads in your new dedicated room
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Congrats Serge,

I love to read what you write about Wilson , I find you describe very well every aspect, ie sounding, technical spec etc...

It's urgent that you spike them imho; you understood that their place in the room is very very important; when you'll have found the right position, you'll be in heaven, I'm sure of that. Play with the toe in, even more than you should think it's possible, sometimes it brings the sounding to another level.

I had 802's before my WP8, my wife preferred the WP aesthetically, I not. But to me sound matters first, even if I have those babies in my living room; and now i find them to be beautiful! Their Wilson Gloss is incredible, and I find them to be absolutely non-resonnant, perfect finish.

I did a long comparison WP8/Sophia, my wallet would have been happier if I bought Sophia's, but my ears had the last word. Again, and like I told you in another thread, it's all about combination of multiple factors, from gears, to room size and acoustic spec, through cabling, musical tastes, etc ...

They will break in very soon, they don't need more than 30 or 50 hours in my experience (WP8).

Wilson Audio speakers are fabulous, their only weakness is their price, but perhaps is it justified ...Maxxx3 will stay a dream for me.

Enjoy, the best is yet to come...
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Yeah, so far so good with the titanium tweeter. I was a bit worried about it. While I can tolerate some variations in the midrange, there are two things that are a big turn off for me, bloated bass and shrill highs. The Sophia's seem to be very well balanced top to bottom.
I am just the opposite. I much prefer Diamond, Beryllium or Titanium over a silk dome tweeter. The highs just sound more natural and less rounded.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......How long do you estimate it will take to break the Sophia's in? Do you break-in speakers at higher volume, or extended play time?
Dan, I have no idea, never owned Wilson before. I did notice quite a stark difference in the first 5 hours of play time yesterday. Which would be unusually short time for me so far. I usually use some house/trance music CDs that I'll sneak out of my son's room. Anything with repetitive bass that never ends... like most of that genre of music is, loosens up the drivers in no time.

I'll usually do medium listening level and leave it to cook on repeat when I leave the house when the speakers are new and then a few days later I use my Herbie Han**** "Dis is da Drum" CD at slightly higher levels. Just have to be sure the bass driver is not bottoming out!

There is that profanity spell checker in action again! Herbie Han****, Herbie Han****, Herbie Han****
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Congrats Serge,

I love to read what you write about Wilson , I find you describe very well every aspect, ie sounding, technical spec etc...

It's urgent that you spike them imho; you understood that their place in the room is very very important; when you'll have found the right position, you'll be in heaven, I'm sure of that. Play with the toe in, even more than you should think it's possible, sometimes it brings the sounding to another level.

I had 802's before my WP8, my wife preferred the WP aesthetically, I not. But to me sound matters first, even if I have those babies in my living room; and now i find them to be beautiful! Their Wilson Gloss is incredible, and I find them to be absolutely non-resonnant, perfect finish.

I did a long comparison WP8/Sophia, my wallet would have been happier if I bought Sophia's, but my ears had the last word. Again, and like I told you in another thread, it's all about combination of multiple factors, from gears, to room size and acoustic spec, through cabling, musical tastes, etc ...

They will break in very soon, they don't need more than 30 or 50 hours in my experience (WP8).

Wilson Audio speakers are fabulous, their only weakness is their price, but perhaps is it justified ...Maxxx3 will stay a dream for me.

Enjoy, the best is yet to come...
Thanks Jean-Marc. I've always liked the looks of 800/802 but like I mentioned several times before, there is no way they would work for me in my current room. The Wilson has a very different bottom end that is well controlled and allows some flexibility in positioning. The 800 and especially the 802 requires much work and room to dial them in. I just don't have that flexibility in my room with the entertainment center being where it is.

I will spike the Sophia as soon as I am convinced they are where they need to be to sound their best in my room. Fortunately they are easy enough to slide around right now without doing any damage to the floor.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I am just the opposite. I much prefer Diamond, Beryllium or Titanium over a silk dome tweeter. The highs just sound more natural and less rounded.
On great recordings they may have some advantage but I gotta tell you, the SF I had before had a great tweeter that was very extended and very linear. As you move up the SF line, the tweeters get more and more refined. The Homage line has awesome tweeters.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......I'm sure you were trying to say Herbie Hanc0ck, right?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Serge,

Thank you so much for taking the time with this thoughtful review.

many of us hear live vicariously through your audiophile quality reviews and write ups.

Even though I prefer a more traditional speaker, I could see that with the sounds that you are describing... the Sophias could grow on me.

Thanks again.