AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
I haven't compared directly, side-by-side. But I've heard the Sasha a number of times, in rooms both big and small, and was never impressed. My opinion, and take it as just that, is WA produces "dead" speakers, that produce very little involvement, and, as a result, a distinct lack of realism.
I can appreciate a coloured speaker for what it is, hence my days with Sonus faber, a brand whose old speakers I appreciate, but WA just doesn't do it for me.
I think I posted this elsewhere, but if you're keeping the 108, I'd give the S5 a listen. Definitely check out the Avior as well, as I was very impressed with the Rockport I heard (Aquila I think).
You might also want to add the YGs to your list, specially now that they have passive versions out, for a lower price. I'm also curious about the new Dynaudio, the Evidence Platinum. I've had the Evidence Temptation, and it was one hell of a good speaker.

alexandre
After last week, I decided the Magico S5's were a lateral move and I would yield more significant improvements by upgrading my electronics and source. That's would makes this hobby great...trying to put together a system that has synergy...synergy is more important than any individual component. My point is we can take any revealing speaker and draw conclusions that the speaker sounds "dead", or "lack realism", but it may be a reflection of the room, lack of synergy with the electronics, or personal preference. I've found that "audiophiles" tend to exaggerate the difference between components and profess what they own to be better than everything else.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM

You'd have to look really hard to find something better than that 108, IMHO.
I agree that synergy is important. I found the amp I liked, and now I'm getting the gears that are synergic (synergistic?) with it. Dynaudio wasn't so much, needed more power. The Sashas might be in the same boat. The Q3 is.
And please, you're free to disagree with my findings about your preferred speaker, but please don't dismiss it like that. If you like it, fair enough. I was just trying to point you in the direction of a much more dynamic and lifelike speaker, that I heard myself and could compare. If you don't find them so, fair enough too, keep what you like. Nobody is professing anything, just offering opinion, not law. If my opinion doesn't serve you, ignore it.

alexandre
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I agree that synergy is important. I found the amp I liked, and now I'm getting the gears that are synergic (synergistic?) with it. Dynaudio wasn't so much, needed more power. The Sashas might be in the same boat. The Q3 is.
And please, you're free to disagree with my findings about your preferred speaker, but please don't dismiss it like that. If you like it, fair enough. I was just trying to point you in the direction of a much more dynamic and lifelike speaker, that I heard myself and could compare. If you don't find them so, fair enough too, keep what you like. Nobody is professing anything, just offering opinion, not law. If my opinion doesn't serve you, ignore it.

alexandre
A big +1.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Smile

Quote:

alexandre
I don't have the 108, I'm currently driving my Sasha's with Densen B-350 mono-amps and Densen B-250+ preamp, source is a Rega Apollo R...soon to be replaced. I know I'm not getting a 100% out of my Sasha's and it would be silly/dumb to replace them.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
Hi, just wondering what model magico and Wilson you own.

Re v3 vs S5, based on my experience having upgraded from the Mini 2 to the q3, the new aluminum Magicos are a lot more transparent and dynamic. This come with a price, however, and one must be very careful in matching these speakers with the proper electronics and making the effort to position them. The relatively near field position I used with the Mini made the q3 around aggressive. But if one gets all the variables right, Magicos sound magical!
Hi,

I own Wilson Sophia IIs and Magico Q3s. I've heard all the Magico and Wilson models in various venues. I agree with your comments on the V3 versus S5, the new aluminum Magicos are more lively/life-like...
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
After last week, I decided the Magico S5's were a lateral move and I would yield more significant improvements by upgrading my electronics and source. That's would makes this hobby great...trying to put together a system that has synergy...synergy is more important than any individual component. My point is we can take any revealing speaker and draw conclusions that the speaker sounds "dead", or "lack realism", but it may be a reflection of the room, lack of synergy with the electronics, or personal preference. I've found that "audiophiles" tend to exaggerate the difference between components and profess what they own to be better than everything else.
I think this is a wise decision. Play with different speaker positions, it's the most cost effective way to learn more about your speakers and maximize performance. The Wilsons IMO demand more attention to setup than Magicos due to their multi cabinet approach and ported design. I would also play with different electronics. The Wilsons are transparent enough to totally change your perception of their "sound" by switching components in and out of your system...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Well... Recently, I had a chance to audition at lenght both Magico S5 and Wilson Alexia. Both sounded very good to excellent to my ears and after some thinking I almost ordered Magico S5.
Then two weeks ago I was on business trip and got the opportunity to audition one other high end speaker. I was blown away by its sound, positively blown away. Some of you will ask-what speaker? I will keep that for myself unit they arrive to my home. Then I will post thread about them on AA.
Short hint-better overall coherence then S5 or specially Alexia. Wider sweet spot. Soundstage bigger in all dimensions. Amazing bass that is perfect merge of qualities of sealed and ported designs.
My opinion about Magico S5 and Wilson Alexia remains intact. S5 is very, very good speaker and Alexia is just very good speaker. To my ears of course.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKF1 View Post
Well... Recently, I had a chance to audition at lenght both Magico S5 and Wilson Alexia. Both sounded very good to excellent to my ears and after some thinking I almost ordered Magico S5.
Then two weeks ago I was on business trip and got the opportunity to audition one other high end speaker. I was blown away by its sound, positively blown away. Some of you will ask-what speaker? I will keep that for myself unit they arrive to my home. Then I will post thread about them on AA.
Short hint-better overall coherence then S5 or specially Alexia. Wider sweet spot. Soundstage bigger in all dimensions. Amazing bass that is perfect merge of qualities of sealed and ported designs.
My opinion about Magico S5 and Wilson Alexia remains intact. S5 is very, very good speaker and Alexia is just very good speaker. To my ears of course.
Rockport????
Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKF1 View Post
I need to know

Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Rockport????
No.

BTW, they have some similarities with your speakers...