AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The 501 is an older Mac amp. It will not deliver the current into low impedance loads the new Macs will. Also, the amp must be operating properly. The 501 will drive most speakers extremely well. I would expect it to do an excellent job in the Wilson line through the Alexia but I would not want it for my Alexx. Impedance is too low.

Are there other amps that will do a better job? Of course. But that's not the point. It will do an excellent job providing it is operating properly. "Slow and lack of grip" are fairly meaningless terms and compared to what?

I have always been a speaker aficionado. I suspect a 501 would make a Wilson Sabrina absolutely sing.

Get a good Mac amp/pre, Mac digital front end, cables, power cords, IC's, and power conditioner. I suggest AQ. Then spend your money on the speaker. If at all possible, begin with a dedicated 20 amp line and hospital grade outlet. But don't ask the 501 to do too much. It is not a super amp.

I have said it many times before but I believe in sound signatures. Good companies have a house sound. Find companies whose sound you like. The high end is all about personal taste. It's what makes it fun. Stay within your sound signatures and and you will be happier because you will be much less prone to be carried away by the "latest and greatest".
Are you talking about speakers less than 4 ohms when you say low impedance loads ? Works fine with 4 ohm speakers. My 501's sound fantastic driving my SF Strads. , plenty of bass even at low volumes. Fast , slow I can only say the midrange is sweet, never felt the high's were rolled off . Fantastic amp. that packs a lot of power in a relatively small package that will fit in almost any cabinet or rack uniike the new 600 watt mono amps.