AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM

I was still curious on the increased power handelling?
I will not argue on your increase(again),I believe the tweeter($120) was the easyiest upgrade possible to accomidate the increase of course.
Least amount of parts,same cabinet design(retrofit for new tweeter of course),cabinet material has been with PMC for some time now as has the mid.and yes,another piece of veneer= $3-$4000 at a 15% increase.
The increased power handelling is by how much?
I was also curious if all these new facillity installs were with the new tweeter(i series) or regular series?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adol290

I had asked Ian about this for my eb1i's. His response was.

Hello,

THe tweeters and bass drivers for the IB2i and Eb1i are the same.

Sadly it is not possible to upgrade you EB1i midrange to the PMC 75mm soft dome.... Cabinet structure, crossover structure... It's just not meant to be, sorry to say. I've gotten this question a few times before.
Ian, I get that an EB1i cannot be integrated with the IB2 mid but can a IB2S be upgraded to an IB2i (crossover/tweeter)?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM

I just sold an IB2S with the i-series HF... So, yes that is very much a possibility.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@pmc
I just sold an IB2S with the i-series HF... So, yes that is very much a possibility.
Wow. That is incredible news. Did this IB2S with the i hf require a new x-over as well or just the tweeter?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM

It also included the crossover as well.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM

OK, I’m quite stricken with the PMC bug for my speaker upgrade; but I need some help navigating the PMC model/series treasure map.

Background:
I listen to most everything except for rap and classical but mainly blues/roots/folk/alternative. Lots of performer produced material.

I like flat sound, Brit sound, great imaging and am looking for full range. In order of favourites, my speaker line up right now is IMF TLS80s, Harbeth HL, Allison 3s, and Monitor Audio MA-800 Golds. Driven for the most part by Bryston BP25/4B ST; I also have a Musical Concepts modded Hafler 200 and a NAD 7150/2150.

Room size is small, about 14X18X8.

I like the neutrality of PMC, the great TL designs providing tight, quick bass. I have to admit I kinda like the Gallo’s as well though.

So in the PMC world, with all the model/series what I’ve heard so far in order of favourites; PBi, Obi, FBi: odd, that’s from the highest price to the lowest Actually it points out the PMC has a characteristic sound and more money, generally, just buys more of it. The way Bryston amps tend to sound the same; some just have more power.

But I haven’t heard the 10” woofer models (IBx, EBx, etc).

What is the series history of the IB-1s? IB-1, IB-1+, IB1i, or ???.

On the market right now I can find a IB1 (not sure of the series) for about $4,000, a PBi for about $7,000, or look for a deal on a discontinued EBi, or ???

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTM View Post
OK, I’m quite stricken with the PMC bug for my speaker upgrade; but I need some help navigating the PMC model/series treasure map.

Background:
I listen to most everything except for rap and classical but mainly blues/roots/folk/alternative. Lots of performer produced material.

I like flat sound, Brit sound, great imaging and am looking for full range. In order of favourites, my speaker line up right now is IMF TLS80s, Harbeth HL, Allison 3s, and Monitor Audio MA-800 Golds. Driven for the most part by Bryston BP25/4B ST; I also have a Musical Concepts modded Hafler 200 and a NAD 7150/2150.

Room size is small, about 14X18X8.

I like the neutrality of PMC, the great TL designs providing tight, quick bass. I have to admit I kinda like the Gallo’s as well though.

So in the PMC world, with all the model/series what I’ve heard so far in order of favourites; PBi, Obi, FBi: odd, that’s from the highest price to the lowest Actually it points out the PMC has a characteristic sound and more money, generally, just buys more of it. The way Bryston amps tend to sound the same; some just have more power.

But I haven’t heard the 10” woofer models (IBx, EBx, etc).

What is the series history of the IB-1s? IB-1, IB-1+, IB1i, or ???.

On the market right now I can find a IB1 (not sure of the series) for about $4,000, a PBi for about $7,000, or look for a deal on a discontinued EBi, or ???

Thoughts?

Thanks
My advice would be to listen to the models you have in mind.. If you can get someone to bring it into your listening space and have a go at it then that would be ideal... Personally, buying new would be my recommendation so that you can get your 20 year warranty.. You'll pay more but they will be your speakers...

Everyone with IB2i's will speak of their content. However I would recommend the PB1i of the IB1. New cab material, new LF drive units, new build process and a veneered finish.

Basically, the IB series was designed to give MB & BB performance in a near to midfield setting in a mixing/mastering setting.

The 10" woofer has much to offer in the way of slam and weight. it's a favorite among the PMC faithful. You just have to take a listen to see what you would be getting out of it...

Good luck!
Ian.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
True, but I also find it amusing when manufacturers never provide specific accounting for exactly why significant price increases occur.
Have you ever gotten that from any manufacturer?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Ian

What was the difference between the IB1 and the IB1s?

Is there a legacy section on the PMC site? If not, maybe there should be
Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Hey JFTM,

The only difference in the IB1 and the IB1S is the finish.

An archive product section can be found here.

PMC Ltd