AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Breaking in very nicely. Sasha is an excellent speaker but the Sophia 3 has me very happy and I have not regretted not going back to Sasha yet. Time will tell.
Serge, are the Sasha's less forgiving compared to the S3s ?
I'm loving my S3s a lot even with just modest gears...
It responds a lot though to changes in upstream gears and stuff.
I hope you can share some insights on the differences between the two & is it worth springing the extra us10k for the Sasha ?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Speaking of speaker cables, does transparent cabling even the speaker cables help take out some of the "metallic" sound on the Sophia 3s ?
I notice that string instruments like cello & double bass are a bit more metallic sounding than i'm used to. I don't know if it has something to do w/ my Luxman amp or my analysis plus speaker cables.
thanks!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
Speaking of speaker cables, does transparent cabling even the speaker cables help take out some of the "metallic" sound on the Sophia 3s ?
I notice that string instruments like cello & double bass are a bit more metallic sounding than i'm used to. I don't know if it has something to do w/ my Luxman amp or my analysis plus speaker cables.
thanks!
Hi, given the sheer transparency of a Sophia speaker, this "metallic" sound could be anything but not the speaker cables. An interconnect or the CD source. It's always too easy to blame the speakers because the sound is coming from them. A new speaker means that you will need to review carefully every element of the system one by one and find out which element is the wink link. That's the little but also challenging part of inserting a really good speaker at home.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Serge, are the Sasha's less forgiving compared to the S3s ?
I'm loving my S3s a lot even with just modest gears...
It responds a lot though to changes in upstream gears and stuff.
I hope you can share some insights on the differences between the two & is it worth springing the extra us10k for the Sasha ?
I can't say one is more or less forgiving than the other as that would imply that one of them would have to be much more colored than the other. This is not the case. They are both a tad on the warmer side of absolute neutral. In fact Sasha driven by Lamm was a very musical combination but sounded more natural than neutral... Neutral often means that unless your gear is a bit colored, the result is often less than musical. Natural is something that is elusive... Driven by Ayre KX-R/MX-R, Sasha was much darker and sweeter sounding, definitely much more off the middle to the warmer side.

I am driving the Sophia 3 right now with a 10 year old Bryston amp that from my previous experiences sounded cold and sterile. I don't hear it now with the Sophia 3. I am however using Transparent speaker cables and ICs. As you may or may not know, Transparent has a filter if you will in their network boxes that affects the upper range of frequencies above the audible range and as such has a very calming, smoothing effect with no hash or grain in the upper range of frequencies. I strongly recommend you audition Transparent cables with your Sophia as you will probably forget any of the artifacts you are experiencing the day you put Transparent in your system.

Just this morning in fact I experienced once again the effect of Transparent as I replaced some other balanced cables I had with a pair of Transparent RCAs and the sound changed instantly for the better. Much deeper and wider soundstage with a totally relaxed and more natural and musical presentation.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-05-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
thanks!
See my post above. Better yet, get some Transparent to audition...
Old 10-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Hi Serge- thanks to the rescue. I'll do as adviced. I'll try to get my dealer to let me borrow some transparent cables.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Serge- thanks to the rescue. I'll do as adviced. I'll try to get my dealer to let me borrow some transparent cables.
Borrowing is good as that usually doesn't cost you money. I think in this case it will none the less when you wind up buying them after borrowing them.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Sege, let me clarify a little.
I do find the Sophia 3s to be warmer and fuller sounding than the previous version & the Watt puppy.
I do find the tweeters to be not as shrilling or bright compared to previous Wilsons. This is a big welcome for me.
However, on very specific string instruments, i just find the highs to be a touch metallic sounding compared to soft dome tweeters. I do not know whether this is more to do with the tweets that the transparent cables can help. Though, i will still borrow some transparent & see whether this will give me the remedy am looking at.
As i understand and being in this hobby for over 20 years, agree, there is no perfect speakers. Each speakers will always have some faults & weaknesses.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Sege, let me clarify a little.
I do find the Sophia 3s to be warmer and fuller sounding than the previous version & the Watt puppy.
I do find the tweeters to be not as shrilling or bright compared to previous Wilsons. This is a big welcome for me.
However, on very specific string instruments, i just find the highs to be a touch metallic sounding compared to soft dome tweeters. I do not know whether this is more to do with the tweets that the transparent cables can help. Though, i will still borrow some transparent & see whether this will give me the remedy am looking at.
As i understand and being in this hobby for over 20 years, agree, there is no perfect speakers. Each speakers will always have some faults & weaknesses.
How is your room? Do you have any treatments? Would you say it is bright sounding? If you clap your hands, can you hear a sharp echo? Very often there is a resonance in the room that manifests itself in the form of ringing or emphasising a specific frequency range.

Soft dome tweeters are not always better just like metal dome tweeters are not always more linear. It all depends on a particular tweeter and the execution of it in a particular speaker. I used to prefer fabric/soft dome tweeters but I found the tweeters in the Sophia 2, Sasha and Sophia 3 as well as Maxx 3 to be very well behaved and rather smooth. By the way, the string instruments are not all tweeter, quite a bit of them are in the midrange driver!

What's the rest of your gear like by the way?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 PM

my room is very well treated with asc sound panels.
I also have a accuphase dg48 room correction.
I use a luxman 505u int amp & i use an artemis labs phono stage & turntable.
My cartridge is a shilabe miyajima.
My room is not bright, lively, but no echo.