AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM

Default BMW 7 series non electric

Any member have personal experience with the late midel BNW 7 series? Last week had Maria’s 5 series in for service and was given a i7 Xdrive 60 as a loaner. It only had 65% charge so range anxiety was immediate. This 6500lb car was a rocket in sport mode. Pure luxury especially the massaging seats. I am now contemplating a ‘24 740i M Sport. Close to year end will give me an advantage. Look for some feedback to help with the decision. I would trade my ‘17 Acura RLX SH-awd Adv with 45700 miles. Only negative was at 207” in length it filled my garage. Loaner pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6373.jpeg (3.72 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6372.jpeg (4.11 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6375.jpeg (2.58 MB, 27 views)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:33 PM

I have extensive experience. I had a 2023 740 that had numerous electrical problems and BMW took it back and gave me a new one. During its many times in for repair they gave me a 760 x drive as a loaner. The replacement had major issues with the idrive system failing to connect. I had the theater screen which was beyond useless. While number 2 was in for updates they gave me a great deal on the i7 I’d been given as a demo
. All 3 of them are comfortable, perform fantastically but too many gremlins in the infotainment. I have the B&W diamond speakers and they are fantastic when they work correctly which is 50% of the time. 3 strikes on the new 7. Oh almost forgot - got a small crack in my windshield on a road trip to pick up a McIntosh and 8 weeks later the windshield is still not here.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:41 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Oh almost forgot - got a small crack in my windshield on a road trip to pick up a McIntosh and 8 weeks later the windshield is still not here.
Was that your $2600 windshield? I gave up on BMW in '21 as our two local dealers are terrible.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-24-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Was that your $2600 windshield? I gave up on BMW in '21 as our two local dealers are terrible.
It sure is. When it gets here the dealer is going to try and get my insurance to cover it, but I’m not counting on it.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:24 PM

Thank you for the detailed and honest feedback Shorty. It will not be taken lightly. Level 2 Charger for the i7 around $8K installed?
Old 12-24-2023, 01:27 PM

My 540 windshield was $2400 - twice. Luckily I had purchased coverage through BMW.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Thank you for the detailed and honest feedback Shorty. It will not be taken lightly. Level 2 Charger for the i7 around $8K installed?
Wow! That seems high. The BMW branded charger retails for $600 from a BMW dealer. Mine gave it to me though. I got quotes of $1200-$1600 to install. I ended up doing it myself because they install appointments were’nt any time soon.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:26 PM

I've had a pair of 5s, a 3, and a pair of 1s, including the ActiveE electric. Although I have not seen an i5 in the flesh, I am expecting to buy one a year or so from now to replace my Tesla S. With that as background:

I'm curious if you've considered an i5. Both the 5 and the 7 are so damn big now compared to historical BMWs, they make me wonder about both the i4 and the Porsche Taycan. Thoughts?

One critical timing issue for any new EV buyer--just about marque is getting access to the Tesla Supercharger network for the 2025(?) model year. This is hugely valuable for road trips as a supplement to your home charger. (I think I've posted on Supercharging in the past, plenty on the interwebs too) You should ask your dealer about this before you buy.

I'm with Shorty on the charger price. If somebody quotes you $8K, you should not trust them with anything. (Unless of course it is your electrician telling you your panel is maxxed out)

Last edited by PeterMusic; 12-24-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 02:02 PM

The level two charger quote was from the dealer. I am not in the market for an EV. No matter the range I would always suffer from range anxiety. I can fill a tank with gasoline in under 5 mins. I may take the i5 for a test spin. I currently have a hybrid and that is probably as close to an EV as I will get.
Old 12-25-2023, 03:58 PM
Racing Hoopties

Not an owner but I have driven my buddy’s 2020ish 740I - M model down and back to Florida a couple of times. It eats the road. Plenty of power to merge, fantastic ride with the typical responsiveness that BMW puts into every car. Especially the brakes.

Very fine way to put in the miles.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack