AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard

The guy that sold the MR88 went with the Logitec squeeze box instead.
That is an other subject.
I do have a Logitech SB.
Listening to web radios is for ambiance only or for my kids ( who like the ability to choose specialized web stations ), because in France, web radios give a compressed digital signal.
Both my analog tuners outperform them on my system, so they are used for serious listening.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Thank you for the input. It is nice to hear from others who have the MR88. I will keep that one on my list to handle the tuner duties.

~Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM

That was me who did the comparison elsewhere on the MR74 vs the MR88. I've since upgraded a few of my components and was thinking of trading in my MVP871 and MR88 towards an MCD500, so I fired up the MR88 again for a fresh look at things.

As I mentioned originally, the MR88 pulls in stations that my Modaferri modded/aligned MR74 simply cannot pull in, or at least not as effectively. There is a station from a college about 30 miles from me that I can pull in with the MR74, but it's difficult to pull in a stereo signal. The MR88 pulls it in with minimal noise and never jumps back and forth to mono. I also have great luck with another very low power college station nearby. Otherwise, signal strength isn't an issue as I live within 5 miles of all the major transmitters in Chicago.

As for sound quality, I'm still a bit divided. The MR88 does provide a bit more in the lower end than the MR74 does. However it seems to be the highs are much more defined on the MR74 and the sound is more open. I've even tried comparing with the HD features turned off to prevent lossy compression or low bit rates from interfering and the 74 often sounds better on the highs. That said, I can't tell if it's because the MR74 is coloring the signal to something that just sounds better to my ears. I also like the ability to choose my own stereo filter setting on the MR74.

Other than it's ability to pick up the distant stations, there are other features I like on the MR88. Most of the major stations in Chicago have an HD sub channel (for better or worse) and some have an HD2 or 3 with alternative content. I've found I think 2 HD sub channels that are broadcasting AM content, which is a nice option. I've yet to hook up the RAA2 antenna, but I can't imagine it's going to be worse at getting stations than the ferrite rod on the back of the MR74. Lastly, the inclusion of the XM tuner is a nice feature and I'm looking at picking up one of the mini-tuners.

Even though I currently only have one listening setup, I'm keeping both tuners. I will probably retire the MR74 for a bit and keep the MR88 as my main tuner for now. I think both tuners are worthy additions to any system.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Maks... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

A good antenna, up as high as you can get it, along with quality coax, and good connectors, (Sealed against water if your antenna is outdoors) and your tuner will shine.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
That was me who did the comparison elsewhere on the MR74 vs the MR88. I've since upgraded a few of my components and was thinking of trading in my MVP871 and MR88 towards an MCD500, so I fired up the MR88 again for a fresh look at things.

As I mentioned originally, the MR88 pulls in stations that my Modaferri modded/aligned MR74 simply cannot pull in, or at least not as effectively. There is a station from a college about 30 miles from me that I can pull in with the MR74, but it's difficult to pull in a stereo signal. The MR88 pulls it in with minimal noise and never jumps back and forth to mono. I also have great luck with another very low power college station nearby. Otherwise, signal strength isn't an issue as I live within 5 miles of all the major transmitters in Chicago.

As for sound quality, I'm still a bit divided. The MR88 does provide a bit more in the lower end than the MR74 does. However it seems to be the highs are much more defined on the MR74 and the sound is more open. I've even tried comparing with the HD features turned off to prevent lossy compression or low bit rates from interfering and the 74 often sounds better on the highs. That said, I can't tell if it's because the MR74 is coloring the signal to something that just sounds better to my ears. I also like the ability to choose my own stereo filter setting on the MR74.

Other than it's ability to pick up the distant stations, there are other features I like on the MR88. Most of the major stations in Chicago have an HD sub channel (for better or worse) and some have an HD2 or 3 with alternative content. I've found I think 2 HD sub channels that are broadcasting AM content, which is a nice option. I've yet to hook up the RAA2 antenna, but I can't imagine it's going to be worse at getting stations than the ferrite rod on the back of the MR74. Lastly, the inclusion of the XM tuner is a nice feature and I'm looking at picking up one of the mini-tuners.

Even though I currently only have one listening setup, I'm keeping both tuners. I will probably retire the MR74 for a bit and keep the MR88 as my main tuner for now. I think both tuners are worthy additions to any system.
Maks.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

Since my post in this thread back in June of this year, I purchased another McIntosh MR88 tuner. To help overcome the long distances I endure from the nearest broadcast towers here in rural north Florida, I installed the Magnum Dynalab MD-205 Signal Sleuth and the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 outdoor antenna. I use the fiber digital output to my MCD1100's DAC's, and I can tell you it sounds superior to the analog outputs. It is not night and day different, but the overall definition, and sound stage are noticeably improved. I am very please to say that the outside antenna and the Signal Sleuth have improved my rural reception, and I am pulling in a number of additional stations that are very clean, and a number of HD stations, too. I am so glad I gave the MR88 tuner a second try. It is an exceptional tuner.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-05-2011, 11:33 PM

Maks, another welcome to AudioAficionado. I finally picked up a new MR88 last Saturday. It is setting in my cabinet waiting for the Wireworld supernova cable that Ivan is sending me. I will be using a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 outdoor antenna. I am looking forward to having a turner again. I do miss my MR78 that I had somewhere around 30 years ago. That was a sweet turn also. What is everyone using for guarding again light strikes, just good grounding?

~Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 AM

Congrats, Mike. Glad you finally picked one up. It sure is a great looking tuner. How about some pics when you get a chance?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 AM

Mike,

You saw this coming right?

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Mike,

I will add a picture or two. I think I need to take camera lessons from you.

~Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12_1_2011 032.jpg (72.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 12_1_2011 037.jpg (91.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 12_1_2011 041.jpg (82.3 KB, 92 views)