AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
CLEE.......I totally lost interest in Magico as a speaker company with value when I saw the sealant oozing out of the seam on Toga's Magico Q7 and Magico's first response to Toga was demanding his AA thread about the defect be deleted from the forum. Toga is one year into a five year warranty period and gets bullied by Magico for asking advice from his audio friends. That's the kind of customer service I avoid like the plague. Spending $185,000 for a pair of Magico Q7's should have Magico jumping through hoops to satisfactorily solve Toga's Q7 issue. Trying to intimidate him is totally unacceptable. Shame on you Magico. Oh, and the answer is NO if you think I am deleting my post. Since the Project M speakers are nearly as expensive as Toga's Q7's, I would suggest one ponder before writing a the check. Do you want this type of customer service, too?
Dan...+1,000! You couldn't pay me to do any business with Magico (plus I never liked their sonic signature to begin with) but as you say arrogance and customer intimidation are not traits of any company I would want to do business with, least of which a company selling luxury (aka highly discretionary) consumer audio products. What a bunch of ingrates. Period. Full stop.

This is not an isolated incident as I have heard many stories of Magico being arrogant at audio shows and another incident where an issue with a speaker under warranty did not go well. This institutional arrogance definitely stems from the top. I have met Alon Wolf once at a demo of his Q5 speaker and he is clearly arrogant. Pity that he has no humility and does not understand how fleeting success can be. Reputations in this industry can be destroyed in short order, which is why every experience with every customer has to be about delighting them not treating them like dirt. The data points are too many to ignore.

Last edited by cmalak; 06-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
CLEE.......I totally lost interest in Magico as a speaker company with value when I saw the sealant oozing out of the seam on Toga's Magico Q7 and Magico's first response to Toga was demanding his AA thread about the defect be deleted from the forum. Toga is one year into a five year warranty period and gets bullied by Magico for asking advice from his audio friends. That's the kind of customer service I avoid like the plague. Spending $185,000 for a pair of Magico Q7's should have Magico jumping through hoops to satisfactorily solve Toga's Q7 issue. Trying to intimidate him is totally unacceptable. Shame on you Magico. Oh, and the answer is NO if you think I am deleting my post. Since the Project M speakers are nearly as expensive as Toga's Q7's, I would suggest one ponder long and hard before writing a $130K check to Magico. Do you want this type of customer service, too?
Agree. Agree. Agree. They actually made Toga feel like he should apologize to them! How can you support a company that does not RUN out to fix an issue on a 185k speaker. Unbelievable. The purchasers of these speakers either have there choice of many über expensive speakers or have saved a good long time for them.

Either way, they should be taken care of and Magico should be at Toga's place, picking up the speakers, dropping of loaners, and bringing a box of doughnuts for good will.

I'm only too happy to boycott Magico until I hear of a successful resolution with an explanation as to what happened, a darn good reason why it took so long to fix, and the reason the repair process started so poorly.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Agree. Agree. Agree. They actually made Toga feel like he should apologize to them! How can you support a company that does not RUN out to fix an issue on a 185k speaker. Unbelievable. The purchasers of these speakers either have there choice of many über expensive speakers or have saved a good long time for them.

Either way, they should be taken care of and Magico should be at Toga's place, picking up the speakers, dropping of loaners, and bringing a box of doughnuts for good will.

I'm only too happy to boycott Magico until I hear of a successful resolution with an explanation as to what happened, a darn good reason why it took so long to fix, and the reason the repair process started so poorly.
I wouldn't hold my breath!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
CLEE.......I totally lost interest in Magico as a speaker company with value when I saw the sealant oozing out of the seam on Toga's Magico Q7 and Magico's first response to Toga was demanding his AA thread about the defect be deleted from the forum. Toga is one year into a five year warranty period and gets bullied by Magico for asking advice from his audio friends. That's the kind of customer service I avoid like the plague. Spending $185,000 for a pair of Magico Q7's should have Magico jumping through hoops to satisfactorily solve Toga's Q7 issue. Trying to intimidate him is totally unacceptable. Shame on you Magico. Oh, and the answer is NO if you think I am deleting my post.

Since the Project M speakers are nearly as expensive as Toga's Q7's, I would suggest one ponder long and hard before writing a $130K check to Magico. Do you want this type of customer service, too?
Dan,

I agree with you 100%. This is the exact opposite of the customer service you want from a high-end speaker company. Recently, Raidho had a major issue with a popping sound emanating from their diamond speaker cones at high volumes. Instead of coming out with a new model and screwing current owners, they offered a free upgrade (less some shipping costs) to all the current owners. That's the kind of customer service I like to hear about.

Ken
Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I suspect when all the dust settles, this will cost Magico far more than a new pair of Q7's which is all it would have taken to be the hero and take care of Toga.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Merry Christmas to all

How many screws are in a Magico Q7? Too many in my opinion. Are they all torqued tight? One would certainly hope so. In my opinion, Magico should apply that same tight screw philosophy to management where there seems to be a number of loose screws rattling around the home office.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-08-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy
How many screws are in a Magico Q7? Too many in my opinion. Are they all torqued tight? One would certainly hope so. In my opinion, Magico should apply that same tight screw philosophy to management where there seems to be a number of loose screws rattling around the home office.
Dan....so true.
I think all that comes from people who are certain to make the best speakers in the world.
When you think that you're the King, next step is to think that you have no dues and all your "subjects" are here to serve you.
Arrogance makes us miserable.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:41 AM

This all sounds like a typical company run by engineers. How many of this once promising company have gone bankrupt ?

Halcro comes immediately to my mind.

The short time between new product is certainly a way to make your customer base unhappy. When you buy the reference, you kinda expect it to remain the reference for more than a couple of years.

Anyway, it seems like the thread has gone slightly sideways
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
CLEE.......I totally lost interest in Magico as a speaker company with value when I saw the sealant oozing out of the seam on Toga's Magico Q7 and Magico's first response to Toga was demanding his AA thread about the defect be deleted from the forum. Toga is one year into a five year warranty period and gets bullied by Magico for asking advice from his audio friends. That's the kind of customer service I avoid like the plague. Spending $185,000 for a pair of Magico Q7's should have Magico jumping through hoops to satisfactorily solve Toga's Q7 issue. Trying to intimidate him is totally unacceptable. Shame on you Magico. Oh, and the answer is NO if you think I am deleting my post.

Since the Project M speakers are nearly as expensive as Toga's Q7's, I would suggest one ponder long and hard before writing a $130K check to Magico. Do you want this type of customer service, too?
Dan, I agree with you. Although I admire Magico speakers and consider my current S5 the best in its range, I have the feeling (even well before this incident) that it is not a well managed company. They seem to have no expertise in CRM at all.

--Charles
Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
This all sounds like a typical company run by engineers.
It is shocking you have such low opinion of engineers! Engineers might run a company into the ground from lack of business acumen, but they won't do it by screwing customers along the way.