AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM

These S3 will be a lot more expensive than S1, a bit larger, but with extra 4 drivers. I guess >20k.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I rather expect a Q6. A Q6 at 90k would be an interesting concept. What do you guys think?
Interesting. I have been thinking of upgrading to Q's. Currently the only option is Q3. Q7 is out of my range. Q5 demands a lot of amp power and I am not sure if it sounds significantly better than the Q3 in a mid sized (say 300 sq ft) room.

A S7 at $55K level, preferably with >90db (measured) sensitivity should be very competitive.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
They look hot, and there did seem to be a huge price & functionality gap from the S1 to S5. So far I'm more a fan of the S1 than S5 (in the small-to-midsize room I've auditioned them both), so it'll be interesting to see how the S3 goes. Looks promising. I've been coming around more to the Magico S-series sound.
Hi Mulveling, I was wondering if you could provide some more insight into why you prefer the S1 to the S5 given the large price disparity?

Cheers,

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-31-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Revised question
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
With a narrower baffle than the S5,one would think this should be an imaging champ and soundstage champ.
If that proves to be the case, I wonder if the S3 may actually sound better than the S5? Mulveling gave the nod to the S1's, and the S3's should be a lot better still.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 AM

Hi David,

Just enjoy the S5's my friend, don't start wondering already about other speakers (not even run in yet). The M5's were very wide and had a great soundstage.

Magico owner quoted in 2007 that for the V3 the curved baffle was so much better, all the S series have a flat baffle now, and sound great.
With all these manufacturers it is just how the wind blows, they have to make new models to survive.

Having said that, the S3 might be the sweet spot in the range, if the price is closer to S1 then to the S5.

Olaf
Old 10-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Hi David,

Just enjoy the S5's my friend, don't start wondering already about other speakers (not even run in yet). The M5's were very wide and had a great soundstage.

Magico owner quoted in 2007 that for the V3 the curved baffle was so much better, all the S series have a flat baffle now, and sound great.
With all these manufacturers it is just how the wind blows, they have to make new models to survive.

Having said that, the S3 might be the sweet spot in the range, if the price is closer to S1 then to the S5.

Olaf
Hi Olaf, that's good advice. My S5's have only about 50hrs so far, so a long way to go before they're fully, or mostly run in. Manufacturing trends do evolve over time. I recall reading up on the new Accuton 'Cell Concept' drivers which are designed with the same acoustic centre for the midrange & tweeter to achieve time coherency in a flat front baffle, so it is possible to design drivers to achieve coherency & correct staging/imagining in a wide, flat front baffle. In fact, this reminds me of my previous Infinity Renaissance 90's which were designed by Arnie Nudell & Cary Christie (see photo below). The Rens were similarly designed with an unconventional wide, flat front baffle, rounded edges & a sculpted rear cabinet to eliminate diffraction and transient smearing, and to give a more 3D sound stage. Magico have also followed this philosophy with the S5

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hi Olaf, that's good advice. My S5's have only about 50hrs so far, so a long way to go before they're fully, or mostly run in. ....
David, you still have a long way to go. Those 10" woofers are stiff. One way to help break in is to play some tracks with low percussion at high volume level. You may be surprised how loud the S5 can play, if your amp is up to it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
David, you still have a long way to go. Those 10" woofers are stiff. One way to help break in is to play some tracks with low percussion at high volume level. You may be surprised how loud the S5 can play, if your amp is up to it.
Clee, yes I think it's going to be a long road until the speakers are fully broken in. The S5's have excellent dynamics and can play loud for sure. That capability makes them especially suitable for 2 channel home theater duties (no sub required!). Speaking of which, i've found the perfect way to help loosen up those 10" bass drivers...Bourne Trilogy movies!

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-31-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
+1. Granite Audio CD-102 Ultimate Low Bass Test CD.

Also Rob Wasserman Duets K2 HD CD mastering 533-427-3 I have a spare unopened copy which I could FS if you can't find it.

These will get some more play soon to help the new cables along when they go in.

Last edited by MyPal; 10-31-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
+1. Granite Audio CD-102 Ultimate Low Bass Test CD.
I wonder if that cd can be bu***, ah hum, "archived"?