AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Default What’s some gooooood bass yet somewhat bright cans

I’ve tried a ton of phones. In ear. Over ear. All closed. Except Audeze iSine 20. I’m looking for awesome bass but bright n clear too. Haven’t gotten it in the 12 or so I’ve tried. It’s one or the other. Good sound. Clear. Not warm. No bass. Bass. Then it’s too warm and not as crisp. What gives? Here’s what I’ve tried. Not all because I don’t remember a couple models though but prices from $150-$600. Maybe I have to spend more?

AirPods. Suck.

Audeze isine 20. WOW. Crap. Totally uncomfortable. Lack of bass. Thought the P7W sounded better.

B&W P7W. Good fit. Good somewhat brighter sound. Lack of bass.

Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT50 wireless. Decent sound but lack of bass.

Let’s just say all these have lack of bass except where noted.

Sony h.ear on Wireless NC MDR-100ABN

Beats Studio 2. Too warm not as crisp or clear like brighter cans. Clean sound though and the bass is decent. Not like lack of bass. But a bit better/more then lack of bass. Very comfortable though.

Jaybird freedom. Crummy fit with the cable and heavy controls. Good sound and could use a bit more bass.

Beats Studio 3 just got yesterday. Comfortable. My guess is exactly the same as Studio 2 except W1 chip and better battery. I don’t remember if the sound is the same but I bet it is or extremely close. Again not bright. Very warm. But decent bass and clean.

Focal Studio Pro. Way too small ear cups. Good sound. Needs more bass. More neutral then bright.

AKG k845bt. Good sound. Need more bass.

V-MODA Crossfade Wireless. Too warm. Not bright at all. Bass is just ok. Not good fit. Not comfortable.

B&O H4 wireless. Lack of bass but brighter. Something off about the sound though. Not sure how to describe it.

So all have lack of bass but better brighter clear sound. Or too warm and not as clear/crisp but warmer sort of a bit more bass. So you sacrifice one for the other in the above cans.

I still am going to try a couple more around $700 or less but think they’ll all be one way or the other. I would think there’s something with both good bass more bass then above and be clear brighter a bit. But have no idea.

The ones I’m thinking to try next are -
Shure 535 maybe at $500 I think.
Then maybe the Shure 845 or whatever for $999.
I may try the Sennheiser HD-1 at $499.
No idea about others. Maybe B&O ones for up to 700 or so.

I’m using my iPhone 6s Plus and 3 games and Tidal hifi for playing listening and testing.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM

It’s not necessarily the ‘phones. Could be what you are feeding ‘em. Try banding something like a Chord Mojo to the back of your iPhone using its extension and connector kit. I dare say that everything you have tried will be profoundly better. Maybe not good enough but certainly better. I’ve got the Shure 535 (and a Chord Mojo) and they sound much better with the Mojo (there are good DAC/amps that are i-compatible that would be good as well). I also have Beyerdynamic and Audeze headphones— again, with a good DAC/amp much better). The iPhone is not known for it’s DAC much less it’s amp. Bypass them and you will have a different experience.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 PM

Wow. Thank you for the reply.
I was at my local shop and tried the Mojo on my iPhone. I heard no sound difference at all. The only thing is it was a lot louder. So I don’t know.

I’ve also read articles that the iPhone has a good sound amp dac or whatever. Sorry. I don’t know what it said exactly.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:54 PM

The Shures have solid bass and clarity, but you need to make sure you have a good, tight fit. The same is true for most headphones, if the fit isn’t solid, bass will be lacking. I’d also second the recommendation for a separate amp such as the Chord, or even a different player. You should be able to hear the difference with headphones like the Shures, assuming you’re listening to good lossless source material and not just MP3. I also have an iPhone 6, and for sure my Astell & Kern sounds better, as dos the iPhone 6 when paired with a good headphone amp. Yes, the 6 is a definite improvement over previous iPhones, but still no match for a good separate.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM

your upper end Audeze and HD 600s, 650s and 700s are good for not to bright, but good bass balance. Also listen to the HIFIMAN HE-400I .

But again how much amp and your source makes a HUGE diff as well.

Like if I use an iphone to drive my HD800s the bottom end is weak of course, but add an outboard amp like the Oppo to the iphone much better, but then drive with the woo tube amp oh yes nice!

Last edited by djwhog; 10-15-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:08 PM

I’m not able to get anything extra. Just cans. Money
But I heard no difference except vol with the Mojo. Hmm...
Old 10-15-2017, 09:01 PM

Are you looking for IEM's? Or something else?
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 PM

Anything but open back. I prefer IEM and over ear.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Have you tried the Westone range? W40 is a sweet spot IMO. Plenty of bass and very clear midrange. Performance heavily influenced by the type of tips you use and the seal you get.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-15-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Have you tried the Westone range? W40 is a sweet spot IMO. Plenty of bass and very clear midrange. Performance heavily influenced by the type of tips you use and the seal you get.
Nope. Never heard of them. Thank you much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it and will look it up online.