AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 PM

If you do visit Benchmark be sure to check out the ABH2 amplifier Truly a remarkable piece of equipment.
Josh
Ana Mighty Sounds Paris TNT 15 SilverS Cartridge
Benchmark Dac 3
Silenzio Server by E
Benchmark LA4 preamp
Benchmark ABH2 amplifiers x 2
Volti Audio Rival speakers
Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Josh Nick-

Thanks.

While I seem to be leaning toward the Schiit, I do like the footprint and approach (looks too) of the Benchmark. Just not sure I want to spend a grand more for additional features I may never use.

They are going to be at CES next week. I may well jump to the other side of the Hudson and have a listen.
Well, there's a lot to be said for not paying for features or functionality you're never going to use. It all comes down to what defines a value proposition for you.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:03 AM

Here's a +1 for the Schiit show. I currently use the lower priced Bifrost Multi-Bit and its very satisfying musically. I've compared it (in my system) to various friend's DACs all of which are 2x to 3x the cost and its not been embarrassed by any of them. It actually bested all of them in vocal presentation (better presence and smoother at the same time). I plan to upgrade to the Yiggy soon as it definitely sounds better - especially in terms of bass slam and opening up a touch more transparency. I am, however very curious about the Mytek .... such convenience!!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM

I have a C2500 and use an Esoteric D-07 DAC. All the digital inputs make it nice for other sources and on top of that it sound pretty darn nice
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:17 PM

Thanks Alan!
I assume you prefer the Esoteric sound over the built in DAC on the 2500?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan W. View Post
I have a C2500 and use an Esoteric D-07 DAC. All the digital inputs make it nice for other sources and on top of that it sound pretty darn nice
Every Esoteric product I've ever heard sounded amazing.... Very natural and musical. Just wish I could afford it...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Every Esoteric product I've ever heard sounded amazing.... Very natural and musical. Just wish I could afford it...
Me too. Now back to my ramen. [emoji24]
Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 PM

I have had (recently) the following dac’s:

Benchmark dac1 hdr
Audioquest dragonfly red
Tact 2.2xp
Ps audio DirectStream DAC (currently running red Cloud)
Logitech transporter

And my father has a couple different models from theta digital that I am very familiar with.

Dsd and mqa are really nice to have. It dosent matter what your philosophical stance is on the formats are - it’s nice to be able to play them.

The tact was ok, but no longer relevant given the company no longer exists.

The Logitech was remarkable for the price at the time it was made, its still very good... but also no longer relevant (except as a roon endpoint).

Benchmark makes really high value gear. I strongly considered upgrading to a dac3.

The audioquest dragonfly red is great for travel. I particularly like that I can use it with my iphone. Otherwise it dosent come close to the quality of any of the others on the list.

The upgradability is the theta stuff is nice, keeps it relevant without having to replace the whole thing. The gen 8 really impressed me when it was new... it’s starting to fall a bit behind now though.

The ps audio directstream is amazing. Handles Dsd, mqa, is a roon endpoint, steaming from tidal... software upgradeable (the most recent upgrade was significant - and free)... and sounds better to me than any dac I have heard.

I haven’t heard the schiit stuff... but I’d kind of like to. I hear they made some improvements to their totl dac in October.