AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:06 AM

Default Why roon?

I need your advice. If finally i only stream music from Spotiy or Tidal, i understand there is no need for Roon. is that correct?

I guess roon is mainly to play your digital library?

am i missing something?

what if i buy streamer like oppo or aurender.. then i would use their own app so i dont need Roon?

I am lost
Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Roon kinda bridges the gap between Vinyl and Digital as well as providing a cross platform software streaming solution that works on almost any device and supports multi zone deployments.

One server, multiple endpoints playing whatever, using whatever

Best way to work out if its for you is to demo it for a month and see if it rings your bell.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
I need your advice. If finally i only stream music from Spotiy or Tidal, i understand there is no need for Roon. is that correct?

--- That is correct as you can use the apps from Spotify or Tidal. However, you miss out on ROON's Wikipedia like depth of content.

I guess roon is mainly to play your digital library?

--- No. ROON will also seamlessly stream Tidal as well as your digital library. In fact, your library and Tidal become one inside ROON.

am i missing something?

what if i buy streamer like oppo or aurender.. then i would use their own app so i dont need Roon?

--- Not sure about the OPPO but reports here say the Aurender APP works well.

I am lost

ROON brings depth and flavor to your listening that no other app I have seen brings.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
Roon kinda bridges the gap between Vinyl and Digital............
Can you elaborate on what ROON does with vinyl?

Quote:
Best way to work out if its for you is to demo it for a month and see if it rings your bell.
Amen.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:04 AM

+1 on the "try it" option. I use roon and am a fan. It is a powerful music player for downloaded music. One of its strongest features is integration with Tidal. You can choose music to stream from Tidal and add it to your roon library. From that point it is seamless with any of the downloaded music you have. I use the CD-quality version of Tidal.
So, if you already have a Tidal account (as it seems you do), setting up the free roon trial is pretty easy. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 AM

Sorry but i dont understand what is the difference between streaming directly from Tiday or trough Roon.

Unfortunately i dont have tidal in my country. Only Spotify.

is Roon just a better interface or also improves sound quality?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Tidal offers better SQ than Spotify. Tidal is fully integrated into Roon.

Roons interface is better than Spotify's in general. If you do not have any digital music on hard drives, servers etc and you cannot access Tidal in your country then Spotify is your answer.

I "Believe" Spotify is still limited to 320kbs whereas Roon can play most all hi-rez files currently available. So yes Roon should sound better but if you can get Tidal's 16/44 and you do not have high res digital files of you own, the question is moot.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Can you elaborate on what ROON does with vinyl?

Amen.
It bridges the gap IMHO by giving you detailed information on the songs, the artists, the goings on with the artists and of course the lyrics. I really like that feature of roon.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
It bridges the gap IMHO by giving you detailed information on the songs, the artists, the goings on with the artists and of course the lyrics. I really like that feature of roon.
Ah. That's true. I was thinking about the bridge being in other spheres.

I still cannot get a handle on the ROON GUI but it has only been a couple of months trying.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:16 PM

I initially started with MOG several years ago and it had the best music curation abilities but unfortunately it was rolled up into Beats and then Apple Music (I think). I moved to Tidal when I changed to Roon, but I think the music curation from Roon/Tidal is pretty abysmal. If you use Roon, I have not yet figured out how to play music similar to a particular group. If you pick Dave Matthews, it will play a few limited selections/artists from your library, but not undiscovered music from Tidal's extensive library. Also, the music from Tidal seems to be weighted heavily towards Hip Hop for playlists, etc. I understand who owns it, and perhaps I am not their target demographic, but it would be nice to have some filters to apply.
Roon is fabulous for exploring music you are currently playing. It gives you the option to explore the producer, band mates, artists that have collaborated with the currently playing artist. It just is a little weak regarding a set it and forget it mode.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature