AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienViolet View Post
My wife's Pro-Ject turntable has 3 (2 front, 1 back). Whilst it makes leveling the table a breeze, it is not as planted if you press down at a back corner!
AlienViolet.......That is one reason I am not a fan of three point isolation. I prefer components to be stable no mater where you apply pressure.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-14-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
AlienViolet.......That is one reason I am not a fan of three point isolation. I prefer components to be stable no mater where you apply pressure.
It is very tempting to only use 3 and so save some money, but the stability issue wins out for me and I use 4 under my equipment. The other issue, which is not so easy, is which type to use - Ultra Mini, Ultra SS or Ultra 5 / 6. I normally go by component size and weight to give some guidance. A PS Audio P10 on Minis is asking for trouble, but a Schiit Lyr headphone amp on Ultra 5s would be overkill, in my opinion!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 05-14-2015, 05:15 AM

+1 on the benefit of 4 over 3 Stillpoints also with all the various Ultras I've used from minis to U5s as long as you get them seated and mass loaded properly.

The notion of about 25% improvement of 4 instead of 3 sounded to me a bit arbitrary when a mate first suggested it to me but having now tried it many times with a range of equipment over the last 2 years I'd say this is typically the kind of benefit to expect.

I have also found quite a benefit in stacking and doubling up as well tho the challenge then really becomes the kind of mass loading needed with this approach. At the moment I'm running maxed out with 35 Ultra 5s in the system here and am getting an obvious and appreciable value out of each one of them.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:47 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Where do you have all your SPs placed?
David,

I have 4 Ultra 5s under each speaker. I have 4 Ultra minis under the Shunyata Hydra 6. I have 3 Ultra SS under the Esoteric K-01, which has a Silenzio media server sitting on top of it using OEM feet. The Shunyata MPC-12 is on spikes not Stillpoints (yet). Almost forgot, I have 4 Ultra SS under the amp, which sits on a heavy maple block that is itself on spikes.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM

I did wonder whether passive power conditioners would benefit as much as transformer based conditioners but having tried SS and Ultra 5s under Silver Circle as well as Shunyata Cyclops, Triton and Typhon in various systems the resonance control under the Shunyata gear is even more critical.

External power supplies for critical components also seem to be another potential big win with better isolation. I originally gave the psu slightly lesser treatment than the gear they were supplying eg go with 3 instead of 4 or use a lesser type of Ultra but now they get as much resonance control as I can and also loaded on top.

So even under smaller off board psu I go with more points. Some pattern of theme of improvement with the psu seems to often be in dynamics and added viscerality and mid bass fullness. Along the way in building up with these I always tried getting a few extra Stillpoints in and trialling the various combinations to assess the gain... this proved to be something of a fiscally dangerous strategy.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 PM

I have done a little experiment with 3 and 4 Stillpoints in different components and in different systems. In general, 3 footers give a thinner and sharper sound. 4 footers have warmer and fuller sound. So it depends on the sound character of the system to enhance performance.

Last edited by TLi; 05-16-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 AM

I've tried three- and four-Ultra Mini configurations under my line stage, phono stage's external power supply, and SACD/CD/Blu-Ray player and find that four under each sounds best in my setup.

I've had the best results with asymmetrical rather than four-corner or other equidistant placement under the line stage and digital player (there's virtually no room for maneuver under the phono stage's small PSU), with particular attention paid to placing one directly under the unit's vibration-generating power transformer.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I did wonder whether passive power conditioners would benefit as much as transformer based conditioners but having tried SS and Ultra 5s under Silver Circle as well as Shunyata Cyclops, Triton and Typhon in various systems the resonance control under the Shunyata gear is even more critical.

External power supplies for critical components also seem to be another potential big win with better isolation. I originally gave the psu slightly lesser treatment than the gear they were supplying eg go with 3 instead of 4 or use a lesser type of Ultra but now they get as much resonance control as I can and also loaded on top.

So even under smaller off board psu I go with more points. Some pattern of theme of improvement with the psu seems to often be in dynamics and added viscerality and mid bass fullness. Along the way in building up with these I always tried getting a few extra Stillpoints in and trialling the various combinations to assess the gain... this proved to be something of a fiscally dangerous strategy.
audiot servant, when experimenting with the Stillpoints in my setup (one item at the time) I got the best improvement when putting SS Stillpoints under my Isotek Sigmas Evo3. The Jeff Rowland amp and the MSB analog dac was less sensitive to the treatment. In the case of the amp it has to do with the fact that the parts are not bolted to the bottom of the case. The parts are actually mounted up side down on a separate metal plates.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 AM

I in my K-01 have Ultra SIX bases, one under the transport and other 2 in the back corners
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM

It looks like those who've tried 4 are in favor of it. But I seem to recall a discussion of 5 under heavier/bigger components was beneficial but I can't find it. Have anyone tried 5 here under bigger components?

My thought was placing a footer near the center of the component to achieve 5 footers.