AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 AM

Starting at 11:30

"These are not neutral cans (so they are tuned a certain way to sound fun)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I heard nothing that at all relates to my post?
Starting at 11:30

"These are not neutral cans...I think they are v shaped...the highs come up a lot. These do that wonderful thing that Audio Technica can do where the highs come up...and you start thinking 'are these highs too high?' then you keep listening and realize no they are just right. Grado tries to do that but goes over the line whereas Audio Technica can do it and just hold back enough...

...Then...the low end happens...and it happens...and that's the amazing part."
Old 10-20-2017, 05:35 PM

But that doesn’t have anything to do with my post though. I don’t see it. It says nothing about bass. It says nothing about headphones being one way or the other but not good at both like I mentioned. This just how I heard him. That’s all.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=buggs1a;872408]I’m looking for awesome bass but bright n clear too.... It’s one or the other. Good sound. Clear. Not warm. No bass. Bass. Then it’s too warm and not as crisp. What gives?

So all have lack of bass but better brighter clear sound. Or too warm and not as clear/crisp but warmer sort of a bit more bass. So you sacrifice one for the other in the above cans.

I still am going to try a couple more around $700 or less but think they’ll all be one way or the other. I would think there’s something with both good bass more bass then above and be clear brighter a bit. But have no idea.

/QUOTE]

I don't know maybe I misunderstood something in your post or in the YouTube review.

But the above quote is what had me thinking you are looking for cans that don't sacrifice clarity and forward highs, in order to provide bass. And cans that don't lose all bass in order to have good mids and highs.

In the YouTube review of the Audio-Technica right after the 11:30 mark, he mentions Grados, which are known for their highs, as a reference to state that while the Grados, for a lot of people are too strident because of pierced highs, the Audio-Technica stop just short of being strident in the highs, while still having great highs.

At the point the reviewer Zeos mentions that after noticing the wonderful.highs, the bass comes in and it's good bass, which is amazing that you can get those highs while maintaining that kind of bass.

Is that what you are looking for?
Old 10-21-2017, 01:33 AM

You’re right on. I just didn’t understand how anything he said was like what I said. It’s hard for me to understand a lot of stuff in life. So I get confused very easy. And since he didn’t say anything like word for word what I’m looking for I didn’t see how anything he said connected with me. It’s just my misunderstanding not you or not that he didn’t say anything related. So please forgive me. I just don’t understand what he means is all since he didn’t say it in a way I can understand.

But yes. I’m looking for something with good bass but clear somewhat bright sound. Not too warm losing the kids and high but having good bass and not having the crisp clear sound with a lack of bass.

I’m trying the Bose QC35 II. I’m really surprised the bass is pretty decent and it’s a somewhat bright sound with kids and high. I play World Warfare, DC Legends and Star Wars Galaxy of heroes on my iPhone 6s Plus. The sound from these Bose I like a bit more/different then any of the previous cans I’ve tried.

For music the only thing I’ve listened to is the single Precious by Depeche Mode I bought from Apple Music store long ago. The first track has a very hard hitting beat with no vocal for the first couple minutes. Good test for bass and mid and high. It’s not bad on these cans. I know there’s better sound though from other cans. More crisp clear like. I think the B&W P7W was this. But that lacked bass in the games I mention. It was brightish and crisp and clear how I like though.

These Bose I think probably aren’t as crisp or bright clear like but with the games I like the bass better then on the other cans. Could be better more bass as these Bose aren’t slamming you. They’re decent and just different I guess.

But with the Bose QC35 II I hate with a passion that every single time I connect them to my phone they turn on the NC to its highest setting. The NC with these cans hurt my ears. So I have to turn it off with the button on the left ear phone. This annoys the heck outta me. I don’t need NC especially if it hurts my ears. I think I’m just fine with the standard noise isolation from over ear.

But I’m looking to spend up to $1000 and only from Crutchfield because I have a card that only works with them and I’m getting 6 month financing as well. Plus they have a good 60 day free return policy. So from Crutchfield I don’t know what to try except the Shure SE846.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
You’re right on. I just didn’t understand how anything he said was like what I said. It’s hard for me to understand a lot of stuff in life. So I get confused very easy. And since he didn’t say anything like word for word what I’m looking for I didn’t see how anything he said connected with me. It’s just my misunderstanding not you or not that he didn’t say anything related. So please forgive me. I just don’t understand what he means is all since he didn’t say it in a way I can understand.

But yes. I’m looking for something with good bass but clear somewhat bright sound. Not too warm losing the kids and high but having good bass and not having the crisp clear sound with a lack of bass.

I’m trying the Bose QC35 II. I’m really surprised the bass is pretty decent and it’s a somewhat bright sound with kids and high. I play World Warfare, DC Legends and Star Wars Galaxy of heroes on my iPhone 6s Plus. The sound from these Bose I like a bit more/different then any of the previous cans I’ve tried.

For music the only thing I’ve listened to is the single Precious by Depeche Mode I bought from Apple Music store long ago. The first track has a very hard hitting beat with no vocal for the first couple minutes. Good test for bass and mid and high. It’s not bad on these cans. I know there’s better sound though from other cans. More crisp clear like. I think the B&W P7W was this. But that lacked bass in the games I mention. It was brightish and crisp and clear how I like though.

These Bose I think probably aren’t as crisp or bright clear like but with the games I like the bass better then on the other cans. Could be better more bass as these Bose aren’t slamming you. They’re decent and just different I guess.

But with the Bose QC35 II I hate with a passion that every single time I connect them to my phone they turn on the NC to its highest setting. The NC with these cans hurt my ears. So I have to turn it off with the button on the left ear phone. This annoys the heck outta me. I don’t need NC especially if it hurts my ears. I think I’m just fine with the standard noise isolation from over ear.

But I’m looking to spend up to $1000 and only from Crutchfield because I have a card that only works with them and I’m getting 6 month financing as well. Plus they have a good 60 day free return policy. So from Crutchfield I don’t know what to try except the Shure SE846.
Hey man have you heard any Grados before? They don't have great bass, in the lower end models but they do have good bass and are WONDERFULLY crisp and clear. It's a sound filled with energy. It's unbelievable.

Just plugged right into my smartphone I have been wowed before by $100 - $500 Grados like sr-60i and sr-325e.

But, there is a Grado I do plan to purchase this year specifically for how good it's bass can sound off my smartphone, while still retaining the crisp Grado brightness. The RS2e. I believe it retails for around 500 USD.

I haven't even heard it with an amp yet. Only from a phone.

I have an Android Galaxy S6 Edge, and the RS2e sound amazing on it which tells me it would sound even better on an iPhone. Everything has always sound ded better on my gf's iPad, iPhone 6s and now her iPhone 7 plus.

Luckily though I have store nearby Massachusetts where I can try on all kinds of Grados.

The best I've ever heard powered by a smartphone were the sparkling 325e, which I did purchase and adore, the RS2e which have wood cups and have a thick deep sound yet still sound like a Grado.

And the GS2000e, also wooden, which sounded ok from a smartphone but with an a headphone amp im told they are the king of Grados. They go for 1,000 USD new I believe.

One last thing if you can on YouTube look up DMS3 review of the Monolith 560. They go for 200 USD. They have wooden plates that can be taken off the earcups to make the headphone transform from open back to closed back anytime. The wooden plates are held on by magnet. They are said to be energetic cans with an amazing build quality. But I'm not sure what the word is on the bass.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfan8312 View Post
Hey man have you heard any Grados before? They don't have great bass, in the lower end models but they do have good bass and are WONDERFULLY crisp and clear. It's a sound filled with energy. It's unbelievable.

Just plugged right into my smartphone I have been wowed before by $100 - $500 Grados like sr-60i and sr-325e.

But, there is a Grado I do plan to purchase this year specifically for how good it's bass can sound off my smartphone, while still retaining the crisp Grado brightness. The RS2e. I believe it retails for around 500 USD.

I haven't even heard it with an amp yet. Only from a phone.

I have an Android Galaxy S6 Edge, and the RS2e sound amazing on it which tells me it would sound even better on an iPhone. Everything has always sound ded better on my gf's iPad, iPhone 6s and now her iPhone 7 plus.

Luckily though I have store nearby Massachusetts where I can try on all kinds of Grados.

The best I've ever heard powered by a smartphone were the sparkling 325e, which I did purchase and adore, the RS2e which have wood cups and have a thick deep sound yet still sound like a Grado.

And the GS2000e, also wooden, which sounded ok from a smartphone but with an a headphone amp im told they are the king of Grados. They go for 1,000 USD new I believe.

One last thing if you can on YouTube look up DMS3 review of the Monolith 560. They go for 200 USD. They have wooden plates that can be taken off the earcups to make the headphone transform from open back to closed back anytime. The wooden plates are held on by magnet. They are said to be energetic cans with an amazing build quality. But I'm not sure what the word is on the bass.
No I haven’t tried Grados but have read a lot of people like them. I forget what Crutchfield has if any.

I’d love to try the Audeze LCD-2 and Focal Elear but they’re open back
And I’ve heard they won’t work on an iPhone. Like I need an amp. But my thinking is only if you want to go deaf and want louder.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:29 PM

Ok. So I’m going to order something today. I’m thinking the Audeze EL-8 closed.
Shure SE846
Dragonfly Black
Apple adapter for the Dragonfly.

Can anyone please recommend another headphone over ear closed to try that might be better/more bass then the EL-8 closed for $999 or less from Crutchfield? I’ve read a review that said the EL-8 closed had really good bass then another that says not so much bass. Ugh.

I’m getting the Dragonfly just to see what happens. I have my doubts. I bet it’ll be louder so I can drive the EL-8 closed better since their SPL is low. 95db or so. But I don’t think it will give better sound. I’m not into amp or dac really. Money and I tried the Mojo in store and there was no sound improvements. Only louder.

I’m ordering from Crutchfield today with overnight shopping.

I have an apartment. I live with my folks still. They just moved last Sunday 7 days ago. I’m staying here house sitting while they move all their stuff. But they want to shut off directv here tomorrow which means I go to my place tomorrow. But I don’t want anything shipped to my place so I get to stay here till the new headphones come.

Anyway I know I didn’t have to say that. Just felt like sharing why I’m doing overnight shipping.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:50 AM

Ok. I ordered the Audeze LCD-2.
Shure SE846
Dragonfly Black
iPhone adapter.
Estimated Delivery: Tue Oct 24 (by 11:00 PM)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Well the Crutchfield advisor changed his mind wouldn’t let me order both the Shure and lcd-2. Didnt wanna have me return one or both. Even though Friday we talked and he said everything is fine. So he lied to me.

So I’m getting just the Shure SE846 and Dragonfly Black and Apple adapter. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:50 AM

If you are looking at lcd-2 you should read about lcd-xc which is the closed back version of the lcd-x. Too bad you don't like open back, the lcd-x sounds great and they're on a huge sale at Audeze directly.