AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
Put the Mullards in, put your tweed jacket on, light up your pipe full of tobacco and listen to the music.
I've seen that "description" applied to Mullards before...I just can't remember where. I think it was one of the tube vendor sites that used descriptions like this to characterize the different sounds of tubes.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
So, Joe, you must have your Mullards by now...what do you think?
Hi Puma Cat,

I have them but have not installed them yet. I changed the stock tubes to the Gold lions after about 2 days. I feel the C2300 is pretty well broken in now and I like the GL's. Not what I call syrupy but really nice for a tube pre. My system is in a state of flux and don't want to waste Mullard CV4004 tube life on my current amp. The Spectrons are gone, the KX-R is gone, the Bryston 10sub is getting shipped Tuesday and I'm waiting on a MEN220. I pulled a Myryad MA-240 solid state amp from storage until I make up my mind about a tube amp. I'm looking for something between 60-100 watts per channel. I've got it narrowed down to about 6 right now. I hope to make up my mind sometime this week.

Joe
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Hi Puma Cat,

I have them but have not installed them yet. I changed the stock tubes to the Gold lions after about 2 days. I feel the C2300 is pretty well broken in now and I like the GL's. Not what I call syrupy but really nice for a tube pre. My system is in a state of flux and don't want to waste Mullard CV4004 tube life on my current amp. The Spectrons are gone, the KX-R is gone, the Bryston 10sub is getting shipped Tuesday and I'm waiting on a MEN220. I pulled a Myryad MA-240 solid state amp from storage until I make up my mind about a tube amp. I'm looking for something between 60-100 watts per channel. I've got it narrowed down to about 6 right now. I hope to make up my mind sometime this week.

Joe
Joe, what are the six amps you're considering?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Joe, what are the six amps you're considering?
:redface-5:

Please don't laugh. I have specific reasons for these to be on my list. Solid state amps chosen because my stereo is on a lot. Tube equipment would have to be placed on a timer or find some way to limit power on time. I work late and when I come home the music comes on. It also sounds better at night anyway. I like to fall asleep to the music or have it play at night. I sometimes have music playing before I leave for work. The better a system sounds the more it relaxes me.

In no particular order:

MC275 (Maybe 1 to start and if I need/want more add a second.) MC2301's would be nice also.

ARC VS115, DS225 or DS450

CJ LP66S or LP70S (If I could find a mint Premier 350 I'd consider it.)

MC452 or MC601's

Ayon Triton

Bryston 28B SST-2 (I'd like to listen to a pair, but think they may have a little too much treble energy for me. I do not like older Bryston amps because of the high frequencies. Maybe a tube preamp in front, I don't know.)

Wyred SX-500 mono amps (To hold me over and save a little more money for a dream amp/preamp combo)

At some point, I would love to listen to a Dartzeel NHB-108 and NHB-18 combo. Maybe start with the amp then add the pre.

I think what I want is a solid state amp/preamp that has the best of tubes. OK maybe that's 10 or 12 depending how you count.

Last edited by joeinid; 03-03-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Joe,
You might consider these, then....

Conrad Johnson ET 250S For Sale | AudiogoN

AudiogoN ForSale: McCormack DNA-225 Power Amplifier,

If you could pair them with a C-J Premier 18, you'd have a nice SS system w/ the warmth of tubes...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 AM

I had seen these and they piqued my interest. Have you listened to either of them?