AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 11-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
Thoughts on preamplifiers. Has anyone compared running these amps off other preamplifiers vs lp-1 or lp-2? I am looking at ordering one from Dennis to match my 6v6 amp. Comments on synergy, Lp1 or lp2 listening impressions? Currently I am using my Burson
Audio ha160d to drive it and am quite happy. However I think it might not be showing me all that is capable of
I have.

I have the LP-2. It replaces a Cary SLP-05. I was stunned, but to me, the LP-2 edged out the Cary. And that is at less than one fifth the price! I went back and forth quite a bit since it was hard to believe. I have a switch, so didn't have to do any cable swapping. I've not heard the LP-1.

Not much in the way of impressions. Just cleaner, more pleasing sound. Not as much gain though. And I found the Sophia 274B mesh plate better than several other rectifiers.

If I were to try a new pre, it might be the DECWare CSP-3 given his reputation and the flexible control/configuration.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Wow, very reassuring, I guess with these inspire creations, less really is more. Thank you, I wonder if my EML 5U4 will manage to finally prove itself worthy in a preamplifier, it had never really managed to excite in my 6v6 inspire.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM

What is the difference between a LP-1 and LP-2? Has Dennis built a combo preamp/headphone amp?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:12 PM

I asked Dennis that already, he believes that combining would compramize both components. I have to respect his position, he is doing this out of passion and perfection.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 PM

I have an LP-1 that replaced a Cary SLP-98P in my system with a pair of QMB-25 6V6 mono-blocks. To my ears, the preamps sounded very similar. Maybe the SLP-98P had slightly better dynamics and nicer overall build quality. However, I sold the Cary preamp, as the difference in sound quality just wasn't there considering the amount of money between the two units. I do miss the remote and internal phono stage though. Man, I really wish Dennis would build a stand-alone MM/MC phono preamp

I have too much stereo gear in general and need to part with my Inspire QMB-25 mono-blocks. Absolutely wonderful sounding amps, but I don't have as much time to listen to them here lately. A new baby in the house has changed my priorities all around. Just wanted to mention in case anyone was interested. To give you an idea of how good they sound, I replaced a pair of McIntosh MC275's running in mono-block configuration with the QMB-25's. They sound so natural, smooth, musical.

But as I was saying, you can't go wrong with Inspire gear. They have got to be some of the best values out there right now in tube audio. I wouldn't hesitate at all to place an order for and LP-1 or LP-2…although my experience is directly with with LP-1. The LP-1 has only one output, where I believe the LP-2 has two outputs. I would LOVE to compare the two preamps.

Last edited by Breakdown7; 11-22-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:04 PM

If I recall corrrectly, the LP-1 preamp used a different tube complement: 1 x 5Y3, 1 x EL-84/6CG7, 2 x 6922/6H1N. The newer LP-2 uses 3 x 6FM7 plus the same rectifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
What is the difference between a LP-1 and LP-2? Has Dennis built a combo preamp/headphone amp?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:28 PM

There is also a difference in the chassis shape. The LP-2 uses the same as his current stereo amps. The LP-1 is more the shape of the monoblocs, but don't know if it is that big.

LP-1:

LP-2 (mine):

Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Beautiful pics! Thanks for posting. My LP-1 looks exactly like the one in the pic. I'll be glad once my "new" stage is over on the forum. I'll be glad to post some pics.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
Beautiful pics! Thanks for posting. My LP-1 looks exactly like the one in the pic. I'll be glad once my "new" stage is over on the forum. I'll be glad to post some pics.
Please do!

I don't remember how many messages you had to have posted before getting privileges. You should be close with 12 though.

Maybe that is your LP-1! I just grabbed an image from google to show what it looks like.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM

Ha, I guess that is possible Listening to it right now actually. I've got an RCA 6CG7 backplate on the way soon. It will replace my GE 6CG7. It will be interesting if there is a notable difference in that particular tube in the circuit. I've got to get some NOS E88CC's/6922's for it too.