AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Well, I installed the Pope's with the Westinghouse 5U4 that Dennis supplied (before seeing FloridaBoy's suggestion to start with the 274B). And wow, amazing step forward from my first two configurations, which in themselves were pretty good. I started with 6L6 new production Tung-Sol tubes with the 5U4 and a Zenith 6BX7GT. Then I tried the Gold Lion KT88s with an RCA 5AR4 and a Brimar 6SN7. The latter was very full and powerful. But I liked the 6L6 combo a little better.

I meant to put the Zenith driver back in with the Popes and the 5U4. But I forgot and left the 6SN7 in. The sound was amazing. Unbelievably full 3D imaging across a wide sound stage. Really felt like it was taking advantage of the capabilities of the Polk SDA speakers that I have more so than the other combos. Of course, this was my first experience with 6V6's. So, I can't say if it is the Popes specifically, the combo with the driver, or just that 6V6's have something special in my amp -- a 6L6 -- as others have reported with theirs.

I will take FloridaBoy's advice and let the Pope's work their way in before making changes. But suggestions for other combos with the Pope's are welcome.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
Well, I installed the Pope's with the Westinghouse 5U4 that Dennis supplied (before seeing FloridaBoy's suggestion to start with the 274B). And wow, amazing step forward from my first two configurations, which in themselves were pretty good. I started with 6L6 new production Tung-Sol tubes with the 5U4 and a Zenith 6BX7GT. Then I tried the Gold Lion KT88s with an RCA 5AR4 and a Brimar 6SN7. The latter was very full and powerful. But I liked the 6L6 combo a little better.

I meant to put the Zenith driver back in with the Popes and the 5U4. But I forgot and left the 6SN7 in. The sound was amazing. Unbelievably full 3D imaging across a wide sound stage. Really felt like it was taking advantage of the capabilities of the Polk SDA speakers that I have more so than the other combos. Of course, this was my first experience with 6V6's. So, I can't say if it is the Popes specifically, the combo with the driver, or just that 6V6's have something special in my amp -- a 6L6 -- as others have reported with theirs.

I will take FloridaBoy's advice and let the Pope's work their way in before making changes. But suggestions for other combos with the Pope's are welcome.
The Pope 6V6's are excellent. Other rectifiers with them? Try them all and trust you ears.

I recently got a pair of the Psvane UK 6SN7's and they are very good. Very open, 3D and the details are amazing. I like them better than any of the old production 6SN7's I have. They are $89 a pair from the auction site. The seller was h salience. The driver tube and rectifier is what makes these amps come alive.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 AM

I have been running a pair of the Pope 6V6's in my amp with a Sophia 274B rectifier and a NOS Tung-Sol 6SU7. Am planning on swapping in a Raytheon VT-231 for a driver today. The 6SU7 and the VT-231 both have been a favorites of mine with other combo's of driver/rectifiers.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:20 AM

Swapped in the Raytheon VT-231 driver and a RCA 5U4G rectifier with the Pope 6V6's, think this combo will be a keeper for me for a while.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 PM

Does dennis provide any support for 2nd hand items at all? And for the older inspire amps you can mix and match tubes freely as listed on the first page of this thread? Picked up an lp1 and inspire pair from 2012
Old 11-02-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
Does dennis provide any support for 2nd hand items at all? And for the older inspire amps you can mix and match tubes freely as listed on the first page of this thread? Picked up an lp1 and inspire pair from 2012
I don't know for sure about his policy, if he has one at all. I'd be surprised if he didn't give you some guidance/info about your particular build though.

Did you get the cream LP-1 and amp that just went on ebay? What driver and power tubes were provided? Can you ask the seller for info?

If those are them, nice combo you got! If not, post photos. We always love to look around here
Old 11-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Yep. Picked that one up. Contacted dennis to get a custom set made but no response so i got impatient and bid on those. Still waiting for them to arrive and the seller is not the most communicative. I guess we will see soon.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Yep. Picked that one up. Contacted dennis to get a custom set made but no response so i got impatient and bid on those. Still waiting for them to arrive and the seller is not the most communicative. I guess we will see soon.
If you like it enough, it would still be worth reaching him for what you really want. Mine's a long-term keeper.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Dennis is great regarding 2nd hand items. He welcomed me to the Inspire family when I got my 2013 units last year by answering all my questions and even offering an open invitation to visit his shop. Funny you mention your impatience, I also was itching for some Inspire gear during a lull in Dennis' online listings and jumped on an LP2 and KT Hotrod. Anyway, give Dennis a week or two to respond and if nothing, ping him again. He does seem to travel some and I think he comes back to a full inbox which doesn't always seem to get fully read. I cannot blame him a bit myself.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM

What is the collected wisdom on the power cords that come stock with the Inspire Amps. I have been reading a lot about the need for good quality power cords in these types of amps. Even folks who are generally skeptical about the value of cables once you reach a good quality plateau, seem to think that power cords matter for tube amps. Has anyone done any comparisons between the stock cord and any of the upgraded ones that are available?
2 Channel - Inspire Amp; Dared Pre; Carver "The Receiver" for tuner and switching; Thorens 125 turnable; Angle Audio PS internal battery; Shure SME 3009 tonearm; Bang & Olufsen MC20CL cartridge; Roku; Sony Bravia TV; Polk Audio SDA-2
Theater - Onkyo AVR, Orb Speakers, MAC music server, Monarchy Audio NM24 DAC [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]