AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Joe W

Default HD with Flac Files through Oppo 205

My brother has a HD with lots of ripped cds to flac files attached to his Oppo 205 playing the data through it. He says the same CD's through he OPPO sound "thinner" have less body then the CD played through the OPPO.

Anyone using an OPPO this way have any ideas? Thanks
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw31 View Post
My brother has a HD with lots of ripped cds to flac files attached to his Oppo 205 playing the data through it. He says the same CD's through he OPPO sound "thinner" have less body then the CD played through the OPPO.

I have an Oppo 205 as well. I play music files over the network using Minimserver on a NAS. Have also tried the same files on a portable USB drive attached to the OPPO. I have also tried the CD music on the OPPO.

Observations:
- The OPPO 205 does not support gapless play except through either the CD itself or the USB port. They claim to be working on this, but with the recent news re: OPPO I would not count on it.

- OPPO does not have a music library function (such as JRiver, Sonos, etc), - it is more of a file browser for the HD. So, I found the attached USB HD to be not very useful

- I listened to a couple of well-mastered CD's over the network and via the CD itself (Beethoven Piano Sonatas and Dire Straits)- so very different musical content. I could not detect a difference. Volumes appeared to be well-matched, using a SPL meter.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM

The solution should be: The CDs are not properly/best possible ripped.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
The solution should be: The CDs are not properly/best possible ripped.
Or perhaps Jitter is a factor.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw31 View Post

I think that ripping is the likely culprit. I use and highly recommend DBpoweramp. I have also used EAC which is free but requires more technical know-how to set up correctly.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Default HD with Flac Files through Oppo 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Observations:
- The OPPO 205 does not support gapless play except through either the CD itself or the USB port. They claim to be working on this, but with the recent news re: OPPO I would not count on it.

- OPPO does not have a music library function (such as JRiver, Sonos, etc), - it is more of a file browser for the HD. So, I found the attached USB HD to be not very useful

The solution to both of those issues is to use Roon with your 205.

The Oppo 205 is a Roon Endpoint.

Roon allows gapless tracks to play perfectly.

Roon also has the most flexible library organization tools available.

Last edited by nicoff; 04-08-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Joe W

Thanks for the insights. All files were burned DBPoweramp to Flac. I read the owner manual on line. I am wondering is he has put Pure Audio Mode on and if that could be a contributor. I pretty sure he also has a poor quality cable.
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 PM

I haven't played any ripped CD files through my 205, but the downloaded hi-res FLAC files played from my portable HD sound great. The latest firmware update has added MQA support. I downloaded the same file in a CD-quality FLAC and also as an MQA--the latter sounded considerable richer and more detailed, not to mention it was a smaller file. Gapless playback is the default setting now.