AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I’ve always thought the “purist” approach (I.e. anti-tone controls) overlooked one major point...the mixer. Every audio engineer/mixer who creates the master copy manipulates the sound in the process. If I’m not mistaken a “pure” recording isn’t very pure at all as it has been manipulated by the mother of all tone controls before we ever see it. To treat the mixer in the studio as infallible is not my cup of tea.

I’ve always thought a few more tweaks on my end are totally OK (and no less “pure” than the many tweaks that happened before I got the music into my hands).

In either case, to each his own!
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Merry Christmas to all

This is where the tweaking of all sorts of audio parameters takes place these days.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Blown & Injected

Dan - some bands have figured out that Pro Tools has sucked the life from their recordings ...
Old 06-10-2018, 06:08 AM
Semi-audiophile

I played with the tone controls on my C2300 briefly a while back, and in all frankness felt a bit weird using them. I was seeking more bass, as the tonal balance of the sound seemed light. Perhaps the dogma against tone controls was a subtle influence in this.

Experimenting with tubes had the same effect or better as tweaking the tone controls, though. A less bright tube ameliorated the brightness on many of my CDs, making them more listenable. That same tube (JJ Hi-Performance Gold Pin) solved the LF issue, as it is not only a warm tube, but has the weightiest bottom of any tube I tried. I'm now using the Telefunken Black Diamond tubes (made by JJ), which I think are more articulate and with enough bottom to satisfy. Recordings will differ, so one tube or setting doesn't fix all, but I have a middle ground that is satisfying overall and I'm planning to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

I didn't want a situation where I was tweaking the tone controls with every other CD, either. Some CDs benefit; others don't need it. I'm comfortable with flat.

I'm not a hard-core, absolutist audiophile by any means, but even though I went back to flat on the tone controls there is nothing wrong with using them if it gets you to where you want your sound to be. It's your system, after all.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 AM

I can't honestly claim to hear a real difference when I have my tone controls set to the flat position, and then I switch them out of the system completely. Having said that though, I get a sense of satisfaction when I know I don't have to use them and can take them out of the signal path. It's a psychological thing for me.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
This is where the tweaking of all sorts of audio parameters takes place these days.

That looks like an air conditioner on drugs.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
Dan - some bands have figured out that Pro Tools has sucked the life from their recordings ...
I think this is more of a matter of a poor feel, and understanding for Pro Tools.
I have worked in the visual arts most of my life, and use Adobe Photoshop to correct tonality, and color balance. Occasionally, 'a bit more'.
Digital tools require restraint, and finesse. I see 'BAD', heavy handed Photoshop work all of the time.
I hear great, and lousy digital recordings, and the same is true of analog recordings.
In any case, I would not own another preamp w/o an EQ. Too many variables to the recording, the listening environment, and the 'synergy' of the equipment.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:57 AM

A big shout out and thanks to the OP! Having drunk the Kool Aid years ago, it never even struck me as a possibility to use anything other than Volume on my C22--kind of like wearing whites before Memorial Day, "it just wasn't done"

But after following this post for months, it struck me--I could use the Balance control when I'm in one of my living room's off-center chairs--Doh! As you'd expect, it does not match an on-center chair, but it's a very nice improvement when sitting off-center.

Kind of embarrassed that it took me this long. Now I wonder what this switch labelled Loudness does?...
Old 06-18-2018, 12:26 PM

I think McIntosh including tone controls, loudness, and even EQ's is one of the many things that makes them a great brand. They are trying to make components with features that people want. They are not trying to be pretentious and tell people how they should listen to music.

I like tweaking the controls. Sometimes I run it flat. It is nice to have the option.

-Geoff
Old 12-09-2018, 02:17 AM

For the most part I leave mine flat, but I have spent a significant amount of time and money on my room with deadening and diffusion, bass traps and the math necessary for optimal listening as this is a single purpose room, so YMMV