AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 08-23-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcossy View Post
NVP and Mattia,

I think I don't have to mention but remember that Japan voltage is 100v and I heard it is not easy to convert to 120v as it was long time ago.

I hope it helps you.

Marcos
Marcos,

You are right, it is not easy to convert many of their products. Certainly the amps require new transformers rather than changing taps. However, if you plan to leave Japan sometime in the future, Accuphase will change this for you before you leave (I forgot to do this).

They will obviously only do this for residents of Japan, and not tourists, and you will need to have owned the equipment for at least 6 months or longer. They are very protective of their two tiered price structure.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM

Glisse

You're 100% right. Actually I left Japan two months ago and I returned to my home country. As you mentioned, Accuphase made the conversion of all my Accuphase equipment to 120v upon paying a very reasonable service and parts change fee. They just did it because I was living in Japan for more than 6 months (precisely 3 years).

The problemis that I'm still waiting for my entire system to arrive yet since it was shipped by sea. I feel really anxious nowadays and can barely wait LOL.

Last edited by Marcossy; 08-24-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Marcos, thank you very much for the recommendations! Both Tereon and AudioUnion (Ochanimizu) shops are within walking distance from my hotel. I had no problem finding them.

Tereon has a rather large stock of Accuphase units on display, along with esoteric and luxman equipment. By comparison, the Audio Union shop in Ochanimizu has a much more limited stock, i.e. one A-70, one C-3850 and another 2-3 integrated and 2nd hand units. However, as mentioned in my opening post I am not much interested in buying anything large, merely to visit a Japanese Accuphase shop.

As expected, communication is difficult, but many sellers are patient and seem nice. I had no luck finding any Oyaide schuko power plugs, and every time I ask about european connectors I get a very categoric “NO” answer. I still want to buy an Accuphase interlink cable (i.e. ASLC-15) to check for myself how good/bad these cables are, but I am not sure how trustable the sellers are. Because the cable is not in stock, they want me to pay in advance the full amount. That would not be a problem, but at the same time they are telling me that probably the cable will arrive before I will leave from Tokyo. I am not sure what to do, any advice?

Finally, I am wondering whether you guys (e.g. RVL, fgchone, Marcos and Glisse) can recommend me a CD or SACD with well recored Japanese music. I often hear on youtube hi-end system in Assia playing beautiful relaxing music containing erhu, piano, dynamic drums and female voices.

Thanks again guys!
Paul

Last edited by nvp; 08-26-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 PM

I left 10 years ago. The service attitude is fantastic, but in my experience "probably" usually means probably not

I would only buy something you find in stock. I would be looking for Acrolink myself.

Oyaide schuko plugs are better bought on-line once you are back home - they are available from several sources. Japanese retail stores are completely focussed on the local market, as you have seen.

Can't help on music - I lived in Shibuya, and also hung out around Harajuku. No tinkly music around these places

But a number of the record stores have listening stations. In general, many Japanese pressings of CDs and SACD are excellent - stock up
Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 PM

Stop by the Shindo HQ in Hongo if you get a chance:

http://www.shindo-laboratory.co.jp/info/infomation.html

Here is the address in English: 2 Chome-20-9 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku, Tōkyō-to 113-0033, Japan http://goo.gl/maps/TU1uQ

Also, the food here is fabulous, possibly the best French Toast ever: http://www.opefac.com/yaiyai/index.html

Last edited by Mike1998; 08-26-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Check out the 100 yen shops for cds
I recommend cds with koto , shamisen , shakuhachi and taiko
Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 AM

Paul, if you have the opportunity, you could go to Audio Union of Shinjuku and ask for Mr. Nakatsubo. I bought all my Accuphase stuff with him and I suppose he can be more "clear" about how many days it will take to arrange your cable.

As for the CDs, I do not have a specific suggestion but you should go to the AudioUnion cd store in Ochanimuzu and ask for some tips.

Marcos
Old 08-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
Yes, but is Price Japan reputable. I think Audio Cubes might, I say might be better...
I've dealt many times with PriceJapan and he is very reputable. Always fast answers to any email request but you might wait a bit for some products to be shipped.

Audiocubes will have roughly the same prices as Europe as they sell 220V products. So there is not much gain there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcossy View Post
NVP and Mattia,

I think I don't have to mention but remember that Japan voltage is 100v and I heard it is not easy to convert to 120v as it was long time ago.
Most of the new Accuphase are easier to convert, usually it comes down to a couple of cables to move from one place to the other.

If you can get the technical documentation, then it should be easy.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I've dealt many times with PriceJapan and he is very reputable. Always fast answers to any email request but you might wait a bit for some products to be shipped.
Audiocubes will have roughly the same prices as Europe as they sell 220V products. So there is not much gain there.
+1.

If you want to buy "not official", then I don't think is wise to only go for a slightly cheaper alternative.

In the past I've bought from PriceJapan and the service was perfect.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:04 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post

Most of the new Accuphase are easier to convert, usually it comes down to a couple of cables to move from one place to the other.

If you can get the technical documentation, then it should be easy.
Ok, well, how is PriceJapan with big ticket items, such as an A-70 amp? I could understand maybe cables and phono/d to a cards wouldn't be a problem, but when you're talking about the big stuff then there's more of a risk since more money is involved. And wait time, going through customs, etc. is more, I take it. How long, I don't know. I personally wouldn't stand for my money being in limbo for a very long time. The other alternative is of course, to pay the much inflated prices of the US distributor, maybe highest prices in the world it seems.

You're right about Accuphase being easier to convert. I in fact have a diagram for an A-46. However, I'm not sure how the other amps and preamps are. You could take it to a tech, but they might goof it up. Also, when something goes, and I know this is reliable stuff but still, where would you take it? Not the distributor's tech (Accutech here in the US!) An independent tech can do something, but where can he get the parts? Also, doesn't the resale value plunge with rewired units?

I don't expect or demand answers to all of these questions, but this imo is food for though before buyng from PriceJapan and Audio Cubes. Or in Japan in general. And PJ and AC are not authorized dealers as well. They're resellers who go to authorixed dealers and buy from them, I mean how do you know you're not getting a used or open box unit?

Last edited by Dave_72; 08-28-2015 at 02:07 PM.