AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Remembering Vintage Pete

Default What in-ear headphones sound best to you?

Greetings all-
I have been trying various in-ear headphones, and have yet to find some with good sound.
What to you like best?
Ones with good bass?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Greetings all-
I have been trying various in-ear headphones, and have yet to find some with good sound.
What to you like best?
Ones with good bass?
Thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe,
I have a couple pairs of Ultimate Ear in-ear phones. They sound great! They are a bit pricey and they do require a custom fitting that can be a PITA if you're not in a major metro area.

Ultimate Ears | Custom In-Ear Monitors Overview

I'm posting this after reading your other thread about tweeking in-ear phones. You're probably on to something there. As long as the in-ear phones remain comfortable while listening, your tweek looks good.

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Life is beautiful

Have you seen this?

The Playback Guide to Earphones & Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors | AVguide
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Joe,

I have no idea which ear speakers are the "best" but I can say that I've had a pair of Etymotic ER-4 for about 15 years and they have proven themselves to be superior to a dozen or more "others" I've tried and rejected.

No, I haven't tried everything, all I can say is that the ER-4s have been completely satisfactory. The easily replaceable, cone shaped ear-pieces completely seal the phones from outside noise. (At one time, I had a audiologist make me a pair of molded earpieces and I threw them away after a week or so, in preference to the "stock" cones.)

I'm not aware of improvements to the ER-4's during the many years I've used mine. There have probably been some, but I really like my "old" phones and recommend them highly. They are accurate, they have good bass, they paint a good soundstage, they are light weight, yet very sturdy.

I've carried them in my pocket, dropped them outside in a rainstorm where they sat overnight, sat on them, and, in general, abused the heck out of them . . and, they are as good as new.

I like them! The web page for the ER-4 is Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4? MicroPro Series

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 04-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 PM

To my ears, these Sony are the BEST in sound and build quality. I've had a few IEM in my lifetime.
YouTube - Sony MDR-EX1000 Unboxing, Studio In-Ear Monitors

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Remembering Vintage Pete

Wow Bart-
That guide is really interesting- going thru it now.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Remembering Vintage Pete

oh yes- I have a cheaper pair of Etymotics- the MC-5.
I like them, but I don't get a lot of volume out of them. I am building a headphone amp right now, and will see how they sound after that.

I guess I should have gone to the pro series.

Thanks,
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Joe,

I have no idea which ear speakers are the "best" but I can say that I've had a pair of Etymotic ER-4 for about 15 years and they have proven themselves to be superior to a dozen or more "others" I've tried and rejected.

No, I haven't tried everything, all I can say is that the ER-4s have been completely satisfactory. The easily replaceable, cone shaped ear-pieces completely seal the phones from outside noise. (At one time, I had a audiologist make me a pair of molded earpieces and I threw them away after a week or so, in preference to the "stock" cones.)

I'm not aware of improvements to the ER-4's during the many years I've used mine. There have probably been some, but I really like my "old" phones and recommend them highly. They are accurate, they have good bass, they paint a good soundstage, they are light weight, yet very sturdy.

I've carried them in my pocket, dropped them outside in a rainstorm where they sat overnight, sat on them, and, in general, abused the heck out of them . . and, they are as good as new.

I like them! The web page for the ER-4 is Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4? MicroPro Series

Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 AM

I am a long time Westone user and highly recommend their products. They are voiced like McIntosh equipment - big and bold, with great midrange detail and very extended treble response - highly recommended. I log a lot of miles in airplanes and find the Westone universal fit products comfortable on extended flights - even to the Far East. I have tried the Etymotic products, the higher end Shure units, and mid-line Ultimate Ears (not the full custom kilobuck ones.)

My next step is to get custom earmolds made.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Remembering Vintage Pete

Thanks for the input W9TR, I will look into those.
My preferences go along the bass end.
Please see my custom ear molds post- you may be interested.
Regards,
Joe
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Joe,
I'll check it out, definitely. If it's bass you like, try the Westone 2's. Bodacious!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v