AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Hmm, may take a while Dan but it could be a new morning ritual. Of course there is a "Schiit" joke in there somewhere..
Serge.......I think I could work that into my morning routine.

I could settle for a silver Yggdrasil but I would rather not if a black one becomes available. I have learned that patience can be a virtue.......or not. I will give it some time. Perhaps since I made the request with Schiit they will get a few black Yggy's into the pipeline.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......I think I could work that into my morning routine.

I could settle for a silver Yggdrasil but I would rather not if a black one becomes available. I have learned that patience can be a virtue.......or not. I will give it some time. Perhaps since I made the request with Schiit they will get a few black Yggy's into the pipeline.
Should have asked earlier, how would you characterize your system tonal balance where Yggdrasil will be used?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Should have asked earlier, how would you characterize your system tonal balance where Yggdrasil will be used?
Serge.......The living room system has been through some changes over the past couple of years. I have had a number of different DACs in the system, MCD500, MCD1100, K-03, and now a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2. Right now the McIntosh C2300 preamplifier and MC452 power amplifier are the backbone driving the PMC EB1i speakers. The primary source is the Aurender N100H music server. Although the overall tonal balance of the system has always been quite neutral, the different DAC's each had some impact on overall resolution and detail. In the last year I replaced the pair of MC601's with the MC452. Not surprisingly that change made little if any difference in the system's sound.

The W4S DAC2 I presently use with the N100H music server in the living room sound system is quite good with its ESS ES9018 dual quad DAC chip, but the McIntosh MCD1100 and the Esoteric K-03 were superior. I am expecting the Schiit Yggdrasil R2R DAC, with the closed-form frequency-domain optimized digital filter, to raise the performance bar. Even though I have not auditioned the Yggdrasil DAC, I find myself buying into the testimonies I have read with respect to its musicality. The Yggy's ability to maintain bit perfect time and frequency domain during the digital conversion process, along with the radical implementation of the four precision multibit Analog Devices AD5791 ladder DACs, seems to be the genesis of its acclaimed performance. I am also impressed with its Gen5 USB input implementation, the two independent isolated power supplies, as well as the positive impact the modular design has on future upgrades.

At the Yggdrasil's price point it's not like taking a blind faith leap into the realm of $10K to $20K DACs. This R2R DAC provides me a fresh direction I have not traveled before. Previously I had considered taking advantage of Wyred 4 Sound's upgrade path for the DAC2 by converting it to the DAC2v2SE. The upgrade provides the newest ESS ES9038Pro DAC chip, new femto clock, custom Vishay Z-Foil 0.1% tolerance resistors, ultra-fast recovery Schottkey diodes, premium grade inductors, and the quieter green OLED display. This upgrade to my existing DAC2 would cost $2524.00. For less money I can purchase the Schiit Vggdrasil DAC which I suspect will outperform the upgraded W4S DAC2, plus I will still have the DAC2 for my headphone rig.

I would have already placed an order for the Schiit Vggdrasil DAC if the black finish were available today. Now that I know the black option is occasionally made available I am in a holding pattern in hopes of getting the color I want. I have my fingers crossed this wait won't be a long drawn ordeal.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-05-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM

Dan, since I am rather familiar with the C2300 and Mc452, I can see the Yggdrasil fitting right into pairing and opening up new horizons for both of those pieces.

The lesson my MC501s taught me was never underestimate them. As gear came and went through the system, the MC501s were always able to resolve the differences while maintaining their iron fisted grip on the speakers. As all those who have spent enough time with McIntosh gear know, that iron fist wears a velvet glove when it comes to tonal balance and especially with McIntosh preamplifiers.

The PMC speakers I am unfortunately not familiar with. I can say this without hesitation though, If you are happy with the tonal/timbral balance of the McIntosh gear with PMC, the Yggdrasil should fit right in. It is not the kind of a DAC that will smooth the sonic bumps and pot holes in a bad recording but feed it the good stuff (I know you have plenty of those great recordings), sit back and prepare to be blown away.

When I listen to Gungnir with my very revealing Focal Utopia headphones and feed high resolution, well recorded material to it, I get goose bumps. Gungnir is not Yggdrasil but I suspect they are close in many ways.

When I listen to the excellent 96/24 Carmen Gomez Inc Thousands Shades of Blue album (https://soundliaison.com/studio-show...shades-of-blue) which was intimately recorded in a studio in PCM 96/24, if my headphones were not putting a little pressure on my head reminding me they are there, I would swear Carmen was in the room with me. Trust me, the Schiit DACs have got it going on...
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Dan, since I am rather familiar with the C2300 and Mc452, I can see the Yggdrasil fitting right into pairing and opening up new horizons for both of those pieces.

The lesson my MC501s taught me was never underestimate them. As gear came and went through the system, the MC501s were always able to resolve the differences while maintaining their iron fisted grip on the speakers. As all those who have spent enough time with McIntosh gear know, that iron fist wears a velvet glove when it comes to tonal balance and especially with McIntosh preamplifiers.

The PMC speakers I am unfortunately not familiar with. I can say this without hesitation though, If you are happy with the tonal/timbral balance of the McIntosh gear with PMC, the Yggdrasil should fit right in. It is not the kind of a DAC that will smooth the sonic bumps and pot holes in a bad recording but feed it the good stuff (I know you have plenty of those great recordings), sit back and prepare to be blown away.

When I listen to Gungnir with my very revealing Focal Utopia headphones and feed high resolution, well recorded material to it, I get goose bumps. Gungnir is not Yggdrasil but I suspect they are close in many ways.

When I listen to the excellent 96/24 Carmen Gomez Inc Thousands Shades of Blue album (https://soundliaison.com/studio-show...shades-of-blue) which was intimately recorded in a studio in PCM 96/24, if my headphones were not putting a little pressure on my head reminding me they are there, I would swear Carmen was in the room with me. Trust me, the Schiit DACs have got it going on...
Agreed.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......The living room system has been through some changes over the past couple of years. I have had a number of different DACs in the system, MCD500, MCD1100, K-03, and now a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2. Right now the McIntosh C2300 preamplifier and MC452 power amplifier are the backbone driving the PMC EB1i speakers. The primary source is the Aurender N100H music server. Although the overall tonal balance of the system has always been quite neutral, the different DAC's each had some impact on overall resolution and detail. In the last year I replaced the pair of MC601's with the MC452. Not surprisingly that change made little if any difference in the system's sound.

The W4S DAC2 I presently use with the N100H music server in the living room sound system is quite good with its ESS ES9018 dual quad DAC chip, but the McIntosh MCD1100 and the Esoteric K-03 were superior. I am expecting the Schiit Yggdrasil R2R DAC, with the closed-form frequency-domain optimized digital filter, to raise the performance bar. Even though I have not auditioned the Yggdrasil DAC, I find myself buying into the testimonies I have read with respect to its musicality. The Yggy's ability to maintain bit perfect time and frequency domain during the digital conversion process, along with the radical implementation of the four precision multibit Analog Devices AD5791 ladder DACs, seems to be the genesis of its acclaimed performance. I am also impressed with its Gen5 USB input implementation, the two independent isolated power supplies, as well as the positive impact the modular design has on future upgrades.

At the Yggdrasil's price point it's not like taking a blind faith leap into the realm of $10K to $20K DACs. This R2R DAC provides me a fresh direction I have not traveled before. Previously I had considered taking advantage of Wyred 4 Sound's upgrade path for the DAC2 by converting it to the DAC2v2SE. The upgrade provides the newest ESS ES9038Pro DAC chip, new femto clock, custom Vishay Z-Foil 0.1% tolerance resistors, ultra-fast recovery Schottkey diodes, premium grade inductors, and the quieter green OLED display. This upgrade to my existing DAC2 would cost $2524.00. For less money I can purchase the Schiit Vggdrasil DAC which I suspect will outperform the upgraded W4S DAC2, plus I will still have the DAC2 for my headphone rig.

I would have already placed an order for the Schiit Vggdrasil DAC if the black finish were available today. Now that I know the black option is occasionally made available I am in a holding pattern in hopes of getting the color I want. I have my fingers crossed this wait won't be a long drawn ordeal.
Really great post, Dan. I would just add a bit to what Serge has said with this: if you haven't heard a "multibit", R2R or "ladder" DAC, you're in for a real treat. D/S DACs often have a "glare" to them that you may not notice until it's gone when you listen to a DAC like Yggy or Gumby.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:13 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......I appreciate your perspective. I have not auditioned a multibit R2R DAC so the experience will break new ground for me. Looking forward to the hearing the Yggdrasil.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 PM

They had black finish available before Thanksgiving but seems sparse again
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

GeAllan70.......Thank you for the photo of the Schiit Yggdrasil in black. That is exactly what I am looking for. It is beautiful in the black finish, far more attractive than the silver finish.

I'm checking thier website every day. No black Yggdrasil yet.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-07-2017 at 08:32 PM.