AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 01-14-2021, 01:00 PM

Default Help Me Pick a Surround Pre-Amp/Processor

So for 2021 I'll be looking to upgrade my Marantz AV8801. My TV and Oppo UDP-205 are 4K and would like to finish it off with a new AV Pre/Pro.

I very happy with my Marantz AV8801 so I'm leaning on sticking with the Marantz brand but I could be swayed.

The small list of contenders are the Marantz AV8806 (when it gets released) the Marantz AV7706 (it should sound and have better picture quality than my AV8801?) and finally the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200.

Please feel free to recommend others. The AV8806 would be at top of my budget but would love to keep it below.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:01 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
So for 2021 I'll be looking to upgrade my Marantz AV8801. My TV and Oppo UDP-205 are 4K and would like to finish it off with a new AV Pre/Pro.

I very happy with my Marantz AV8801 so I'm leaning on sticking with the Marantz brand but I could be swayed.

The small list of contenders are the Marantz AV8806 (when it gets released) the Marantz AV7706 (it should sound and have better picture quality than my AV8801?) and finally the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200.

Please feel free to recommend others. The AV8806 would be at top of my budget but would love to keep it below.

Hi Paul,

I doubt that the AV7706 will sound better than your current Marantz. The video options (and streaming capabilities) will be better though.
From Kal's observations (in Stereophile), every generation of Marantz' top processors seems to improve slighty upon the previous one.
So the AV8806 will be probably be the better choice for you.

The Yamaha is a good option too (their devices are almost all good value).

Arcam also has processors, as does Anthem (their new ones coming out soon).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-14-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Hi Paul,

I doubt that the AV7706 will sound better than your current Marantz. The video options (and streaming capabilities) will be better though.
From Kal's observations (in Stereophile), every generation of Marantz' top processors seems to improve slighty upon the previous one.
So the AV8806 will be probably be the better choice for you.

The Yamaha is a good option too (their devices are almost all good value).

Arcam also has processors, as does Anthem (their new ones coming out soon).

Thanks Bart!

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 PM

I’m on a waiting list for the Anthem MRX-1140. Probably won’t ship out till late February.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:10 AM

I recently swapped out my AV8802A for the Anthem AVM60 - really big improvement even without room correction.

And Anthem Room Correction is better than Audyssey

I would be getting the Anthem AVM70. The AVM90 is better and will apparently have a free upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when it becomes available. The AVM70 is also upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 but it would be a paid upgrade
Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 PM

The AV8805 will be around for a while yet, the HDMI upgrade has been pushed off till summer off 2021 and my guess is later yet. I would go with the AV8805, and if bed get magically allowed Mx123.

I would not consider the lesser AV7706 or any of the other brands that just cause headaches.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
The AV8805 will be around for a while yet, the HDMI upgrade has been pushed off till summer off 2021 and my guess is later yet. I would go with the AV8805, and if bed get magically allowed Mx123.

I would not consider the lesser AV7706 or any of the other brands that just cause headaches.
Thanks RCD....I am leaning towards the AV8805. I was hoping to keep the budget under $3500 but I don’t see much at the price range that competes with the AV8805.

The MX123 would be a nice match with my MC207 but sadly way above budget.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:34 AM

For sound, I would also have a look at the Anthem AVM70. That would be getting an HDMI 2.1 upgrade board as well (along with the AVM90/MRX x40 AVRs)

But I remember the AVM60 was riddled with bugs when it first launched.. so if you want a more problem free unit, the AV8805 has been here for longer.

That said the AVM60 is very stable now and if they used the AVM60 platform as a basis for the 70, it might be stable too.

I moved from a Marantz AV8802A to a loan AVM60 and the sound quality is noticeably better. Much more precise channel steering and detail as sound moves from one speaker to the next. Both without room correction enabled.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
For sound, I would also have a look at the Anthem AVM70. That would be getting an HDMI 2.1 upgrade board as well (along with the AVM90/MRX x40 AVRs)

But I remember the AVM60 was riddled with bugs when it first launched.. so if you want a more problem free unit, the AV8805 has been here for longer.

That said the AVM60 is very stable now and if they used the AVM60 platform as a basis for the 70, it might be stable too.

I moved from a Marantz AV8802A to a loan AVM60 and the sound quality is noticeably better. Much more precise channel steering and detail as sound moves from one speaker to the next. Both without room correction enabled.

Thanks.....the AVM 70 is in my budget. I'll give it a look!