AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 04-21-2019, 07:14 PM

I'm a fan of Shunyata but Transparent has always intrigued me as well. Since you already represent Shunyata, how about Transparent?
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
My cable experience consists, in chronological order, of Fulton (ancient history), Cardas, Tara, Kimber XL, Blue Jeans (Belden), and Wireworld, with a full loom of the latter currently populating my "reference" bedroom system (though a Shunyata Alpha USB cable is on order for the source-component-to-DAC connection). The Bedroom system listed in my signature block indicates that my context is what I'd call at best a mid-level configuration.

I have no experience with Transparent, so I can't offer the specific comparative judgment you seek. And whatever overall perspective I can offer applies strictly to my system, its acoustic environment, and my listening preferences as well as my ears, such as they are. So feel free to apply as many grains of salt as you consider appropriate to what follows.

About a year-and-a-half ago, I decided to upgrade my bedroom system's cable configuration. And, somewhat counterintuitively, started with the power cords to my Blue Circle outlets-siliconed-into-a-PVC-pipe power distributor and DAC, the only components lacking captive cords. The result was an immediate, unsubtle uptick in audible performance, particularly in terms of definition, transparency, dimensionality, and perceived dynamics.

Next up, the interconnects (same model, newer version). I heard the difference right away. So did my probably-more-critical-eared wife, with improvements noted in the same areas as heard earlier with the power cords, and with approximately the same magnitude of performance jump over the previous configuration.

The speaker cables came last, with the same result, though the magnitude of improvement exceeded what we'd heard with the interconnect upgrade. I'd note here, however, that the new speaker cable cost considerably more than what it replaced, so this was not a same-manufactuer-same-model-newer-version upgrade. Not even close. Nonetheless, the comparison reinforced the lesson I'd learned a long time ago, that the speaker cable used matters.

I'm not sure how helpful, if at all, this perspective is, especially since it doesn't offer the apples-to-apples comparison you want in a system you're familiar with. I'd note only that in my case each cable upgrade--starting with the power cord--made a noticeable improvement, and to two pairs of ears. Your mileage may very well vary, and you might consider seeking out a source that will allow you to compare the specific brands you've noted so you can see/hear what either one brings, in whatever configuration (IC or speaker) you choose to evaluate, to your listening table.
Jim,
Remember Fulton Gold? Plastic encased speaker cables the size and gauge of welding cables? Remember how they had to be in lengths that were multiples of 57"? I still have my long pair (6ft? 8ft?, I can't remember) from the early 80s in a plastic storage container in my garage. IIRC, all that wire is pure silver....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.