AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-05-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Mc Trade Up

McIntosh Trade Up being offered again - this time around for amps and preamps. Up to 75% of retail.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 PM

I talked with McIntosh today. Was looking to trade my C50 for a C2600. That trade would not qualify. They said I would have to move to a C1100 for the TradeUp program to take the C50. Based on what I read in the email I thought it would be a great proposition to go to the C2600 but to have to move to the C1100 my budget can't support it.

Seems to me they should be more transparent on the details of the TradeUp program! Check the details before getting your hopes up.
Legacy Focus S/E, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, REL (2) Carbon Limited, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Furutech FA-Alpha Interconnects, Furutech FS-Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 PM

I am curious about trading up my MC302 to an MC462. Does anyone know if they would use the current MSRP of the MC302 or use the MSRP when the product was first released for the 75% credit? Did you have to of purchased the original device new from the same dealer? Are there any other restrictions? I saw posted here from a previous upgrade offer that the price of the new item had to exceed a certain amount over the original item price.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratliff View Post
I talked with McIntosh today. Was looking to trade my C50 for a C2600. That trade would not qualify. They said I would have to move to a C1100 for the TradeUp program to take the C50. Based on what I read in the email I thought it would be a great proposition to go to the C2600 but to have to move to the C1100 my budget can't support it.

Seems to me they should be more transparent on the details of the TradeUp program! Check the details before getting your hopes up.
tratliff.......It seems to me you may not have followed the McIntosh TradeUP instructions that are clearly stated in the promotional email. There is no issue with transparency.

From the promotional email:

Promotional period: September 4 – October 31, 2018. Offer valid only in the US and Canada to US and Canadian customers who make a purchase during the promotional period from a participating US or Canadian Authorized McIntosh Dealer. Purchases made at non-participating or non-authorized dealers will not qualify. The entire purchase must be made in a single transaction, from a single participating Authorized McIntosh Dealer. Trade-In units must be in acceptable working and physical condition with no more than ordinary wear and tear. Deductions may be taken off the Trade-In value based on product condition or lack of original packaging. Units modified from their original design do not qualify. Only models listed on the qualified Trade-In list are eligible to be traded in, and with certain limited exceptions that your Authorized McIntosh Dealer can explain, only one Trade-In unit will be accepted per new product purchased. See your participating Authorized McIntosh Dealer for details. Prior sales excluded.

There is nothing ambiguous about the McIntosh TradeUP program or their promotional email. It is made clear you must contact your authorized McIntosh dealer for full details. Just because a person desires a specific TradeUp deal doesn't mean it is supported by the current TradeUp program policy. It has nothing to do with McIntosh not being transparent, and everything to do with a customer contacting their authorized McIntosh dealer for complete TradeUp program details.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 PM

You are right Dan. My wants took over when I read the small print.

Would have been a great way to move into a C2600 but I'll have to find another path.
Legacy Focus S/E, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, REL (2) Carbon Limited, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Furutech FA-Alpha Interconnects, Furutech FS-Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratliff View Post
You are right Dan. My wants took over when I read the small print.

Would have been a great way to move into a C2600 but I'll have to find another path.
You just need to keep your eyes out for a clean used C2600. You will find it!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM

Give audio classics a call for a used 2600.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
tratliff.......It seems to me you may not have followed the McIntosh TradeUP instructions that are clearly stated in the promotional email. There is no issue with transparency.

From the promotional email:

Promotional period: September 4 – October 31, 2018. Offer valid only in the US and Canada to US and Canadian customers who make a purchase during the promotional period from a participating US or Canadian Authorized McIntosh Dealer. Purchases made at non-participating or non-authorized dealers will not qualify. The entire purchase must be made in a single transaction, from a single participating Authorized McIntosh Dealer. Trade-In units must be in acceptable working and physical condition with no more than ordinary wear and tear. Deductions may be taken off the Trade-In value based on product condition or lack of original packaging. Units modified from their original design do not qualify. Only models listed on the qualified Trade-In list are eligible to be traded in, and with certain limited exceptions that your Authorized McIntosh Dealer can explain, only one Trade-In unit will be accepted per new product purchased. See your participating Authorized McIntosh Dealer for details. Prior sales excluded.

There is nothing ambiguous about the McIntosh TradeUP program or their promotional email. It is made clear you must contact your authorized McIntosh dealer for full details. Just because a person desires a specific TradeUp deal doesn't mean it is supported by the current TradeUp program policy. It has nothing to do with McIntosh not being transparent, and everything to do with a customer contacting their authorized McIntosh dealer for complete TradeUp program details.

I have to disagree. I contacted my authorized McIntosh dealer (as directed) to discuss trading my C200 in on a C1100. The C200 is on McIntosh’s list of approved trade-ins. The dealer said, “yes, original MSRP was $7100 so I would receive a trade-in value of $5325.” I explained that during the last trade-up program there were certain conditions that made trading it for other Mac gear impossible. The dealer said that in the past Mac received several complaints from customers over the fine print (seen only by dealers) and this time there would be none of that.

Later he called back to say that he had been discussing my trade with McIntosh for quite a while and unfortunately I could not trade the C200 in on a C1100. He said I would need to buy more expensive gear but could not say how much more.

When I discussed this trade with another dealer last time I was told the original MSRP was $7800 and the 75% trade value was $5850. The catch at that time was that the new item had to have an MSRP of at least the trade-in’s original MSRP ($7800) + the 75% credit ($5850). In this case $7800 + $5850 = an MSRP of $13650 or more. That cut out the C1100 by $650.

To get the MSRP of an item one has to contact a dealer who has to get that info from McIntosh. McIntosh will then tell the dealer whether or not they will accept the trade. No amount of reading McIntosh’s promotional email or any of its links will tell you any of this. Asking an authorized dealer will reveal little more than what one can glean from the web as they have to get all their info from McIntosh.

So yes, I agree that the program is ambiguous.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:21 PM

I just purchased a MC 462 (being delivered tomorrow) and am possibly going to trade in my 19 year old MC 352. My dealer is trying to figure out its value, but did not mention this super-duper trade in. Sounds like McIntosh is just not publicizing the list of qualifying models ? I seriously doubt my old trusty 352 will make the cut
Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post
I just purchased a MC 462 (being delivered tomorrow) and am possibly going to trade in my 19 year old MC 352. My dealer is trying to figure out its value, but did not mention this super-duper trade in. Sounds like McIntosh is just not publicizing the list of qualifying models ? I seriously doubt my old trusty 352 will make the cut

The MC352 is on the list of qualified trade in items. There is a link from their website.