AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 AM

It had been a while since I used alternative rectifiers to my favorite Sophia Electric 274-B mesh plate with 6P3S-E and KT-88. Today I compared those two output tubes with the Westinghouse-labeled Amperex 5AR4 and the Brimar 5Z4 GY. Great sound from both rectifiers, and now I think the 5AR4 is quite close to the 274-B, especially with the KT-88. In both cases the 5Z4 GY is a very close 3rd. I also tried my RAD TEL 5Z3 which I really never cared much for, and confirmed it is definitely not my cup of tea in either setting.

I'm getting ready to try the KT-66 and KT-77 with all 3 rectifiers and compare them with my favorite 6SN7 and a coming CV 181. In the meantime, I had a ball listening to music with these tubes exclusively through the ZBit (balanced). Eventually, I'll replace the ZBit with the LP-27a and try it with the same set of rectifiers and output tubes while alternating the preamp's 27 and 56, both terrific tubes.

These Inspire music machines are so versatile I don't think I'll ever become tired of them. Edit: The only caveat is I sometimes miss the "slam" in certain orchestral classical music passages which are definitely duties not suited for SET's. It is not a simple matter of more power but the amount of instant peak current required. Also, usually high sensitivity speakers which are otherwise ideal for acoustic music, tend to lose control with those extreme demands. Ideally, one would need two rigs specifically aimed at those different applications.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 11-21-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 PM

Continuing my quest, today I tried the LP-27a with ballon-type Silvertone 56's and the KT-88 with 5AR4, other things equal. Wonderful sound also! More body and texture than with the ZBit direct into the SET amp. Both configurations confer different presentations (ZBit and LP-27a), with a very slight tradeoff in transparency vs presence (probably due to the KT-88's nature). Following, I'll try the same setup with 6P3S-E. BTW, the 56's open up (lighten) the KT-88's more than the 27, the latter probably better for the 6P3S-E which tends to be neater.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 11-22-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Continuing my quest, today I tried the LP-27a with ballon-type Silvertone 56's and the KT-88 with 5AR4, other things equal. Wonderful sound also! More body and texture than with the ZBit direct into the SET amp. Both configurations confer different presentations (ZBit and LP-27a), with a very slight tradeoff in transparency vs presence (probably due to the KT-88's nature). Following, I'll try the same setup with 6P3S-E. BTW, the 56's open up (lighten) the KT-88's more than the 27, the latter probably better for the 6P3S-E which tends to be neater.
I'm in agreement with your 56 vs 27 opinion. I am finding it difficult to source quiet globes, though. I find that ST types are more immune to microphonics and hum/buzz. Mesh plate 27s are the worst offenders, but when you find a quiet pair, it's sublime.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:12 AM

Well, have to say, after swapping out the 3x zenar diodes in my LP-2 it is now completly silent! I also rolled the .022uf Rel Audiocap teflons in place of the .01uf AuricapXO in my 6V6 amp with surprsingly great results! The sound stage is much wider, well defined and the dynamics are incredible. The clearity has also jumped a notch as well. Very impressed so far! It may also have something to do with the quieter background of the LP-2.... whatever the cause I am a very happy camper. At some point I will try bypassing the 1.5uf Audyn Copper Max with the .1uf Rel Audio cap teflons instead of the jupitor copper foil, but for now I am just going to let everything settle in and enjoy!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
Well, have to say, after swapping out the 3x zenar diodes in my LP-2 it is now completly silent! I also rolled the .022uf Rel Audiocap teflons in place of the .01uf AuricapXO in my 6V6 amp with surprsingly great results! The sound stage is much wider, well defined and the dynamics are incredible. The clearity has also jumped a notch as well. Very impressed so far! It may also have something to do with the quieter background of the LP-2.... whatever the cause I am a very happy camper. At some point I will try bypassing the 1.5uf Audyn Copper Max with the .1uf Rel Audio cap teflons instead of the jupitor copper foil, but for now I am just going to let everything settle in and enjoy!
Capacitor changes can be amazing.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Agreed, though teflon caps take time to sound at their best. I swapped out Wondercaps for Mundorf SiV in a x-over to a great result.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 PM

I sure hope Dennis has installed the best tube sockets available. Mine are getting a workout.

A matched pair of NOS 6P3S-e power tubes have arrived. This completes my power tube acquisitions for the time being. After I get a few hours on these and some of the others I will have to run a big shootout to find out which I like best. I just fired these up, with 15 minutes of warmup right out of their boxes. Sounding pretty good.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I sure hope Dennis has installed the best tube sockets available. Mine are getting a workout.

A matched pair of NOS 6P3S-e power tubes have arrived. This completes my power tube acquisitions for the time being. After I get a few hours on these and some of the others I will have to run a big shootout to find out which I like best. I just fired these up, with 15 minutes of warmup right out of their boxes. Sounding pretty good.
Give 'em 50 hours or so.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 PM

They are burning right now. Need to put a few hours on other tubes too before The Great Powertube Shootout.

Playing some Ricky Lee Jones.

Last edited by Bombadil; 11-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I use socket savers when in rolling mode.

(If not familiar, they are just a pass through socket to pins that you plug into the amp socket. Tubes plug into the socket saver. So any stress is on the cheap socket savers and not on the amp's sockets.)