AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 01-17-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa_chan View Post
Might be hard to grasp what the condition of the Luxman facility is, as a whole l, from those few images. Every once in a while I search for Esoteric or Luxman factory tours because there is little published about their facilities. Thought it was neat to see at least something on the web. Luxman must be doing something right as their products are outstanding.
I totally agree. Luxman makes excellent gear.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 01-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Retired

Greg - not sure why you thought the Luxman facility was not 'clean'. I see nothing in the pic's that would indicate that. Compared to the AR facility visit recently posted https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...434#post893434,
about the only difference I see is the obvious difference in cost per square foot of real estate in MN and Japan (probably 10X). Plus, it appears that Luxman has quite-a-bit larger production staff.
Was interesting in the AR visit that they are in what I call a "business strip-mall".
BAT in Wilmington, DE and Cary in Raleigh, NC are also in business strip-malls and I wonder if Luxman is, as well. While McIntosh has their own 'stand alone' building in Binghamton, NY, am wondering about folks like Ayre & Boulder in Boulder, CO, Pass Labs and Vandersteen in CA, etc. Am guessing they are more are like BAT and rent space as needed. Will also guess they are all doing what makes the most business sense for their company.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Greg - not sure why you thought the Luxman facility was not 'clean'. I see nothing in the pic's that would indicate that. Compared to the AR facility visit recently posted https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...434#post893434,
about the only difference I see is the obvious difference in cost per square foot of real estate in MN and Japan (probably 10X). Plus, it appears that Luxman has quite-a-bit larger production staff.
Was interesting in the AR visit that they are in what I call a "business strip-mall".
BAT in Wilmington, DE and Cary in Raleigh, NC are also in business strip-malls and I wonder if Luxman is, as well. While McIntosh has their own 'stand alone' building in Binghamton, NY, am wondering about folks like Ayre & Boulder in Boulder, CO, Pass Labs and Vandersteen in CA, etc. Am guessing they are more are like BAT and rent space as needed. Will also guess they are all doing what makes the most business sense for their company.
Glenn, having dealt with and constructed many facilities for Japanese firms, I was simply expressing my opinion of what the photos revealeved vs what I assumed the Luxman facility might have looked like. That’s all.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 01-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Sexy!!!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Glenn, having dealt with and constructed many facilities for Japanese firms, I was simply expressing my opinion of what the photos revealeved vs what I assumed the Luxman facility might have looked like. That’s all.
Sounds as if we may have had similar backgrounds. I was the U.S. side project manager for several Japanese projects in the U.S. (Komatsu, Mitsubishi Materials, Komatsu, Fujitsu, as well as Samsung & LG). All were in the Pacific NW. Worked primarily with Tanaka Construction. These facilities were very clean.

Just heard from Jeff Sigmund at LuxmanUSA. And, I quote:
"Just for clarification sake, and so you have the 100% correct information: All Luxman badged current production models are 100% made in Japan. That is to say, they are designed, engineered, tooled, built, QC'd, packed and shipped in Japan. This includes board stuffing... all done in Japan."
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-18-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Updated info.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Sounds as if we may have had similar backgrounds. I was the U.S. side project manager for several Japanese projects in the U.S. (Komatsu, Mitsubishi Materials, Komatsu, Fujitsu, as well as Samsung & LG). All were in the Pacific NW. Worked primarily with Tanaka Construction. These facilities were very clean.
Fun times for sure. Seems like a lifetime ago - wait it was! Most of my projects were done in the 80's. Facilities were in eastern Canada, Texas and California. I enjoyed working with the Japanese people. They appreciated quality work and never had a problem with my pricing!

Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM

What’s the story with Luxman distribution these days? Used to be “On a higher note” and now?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
What’s the story with Luxman distribution these days? Used to be “On a higher note” and now?
Luxman now manages their own US distribution, and by eliminating a layer in the chain they've been able to lower their retail prices significantly. Their top of the line separates for example were reduced from their previous US retail of $20K to $15K each. They're able to maintain better stock for quicker availability and are also setting up regional factory service locations in the US.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Luxman now manages their own US distribution, and by eliminating a layer in the chain they've been able to lower their retail prices significantly. Their top of the line separates for example were reduced from their previous US retail of $20K to $15K each. They're able to maintain better stock for quicker availability and are also setting up regional factory service locations in the US.
Good to know, thanks Bill
Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 PM

Deciding if I need a Luxman L-550AxII Integrated in my life. The 590 offers 10w more of that Class A power over the 550 but the price difference is substantial.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.