AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 AM

I'v had Carl from the company Sound of Science in my listening room to analyze my acoustic and my system to see if there is something that I can do better.
Carl is very well educated and experienced in acoustics and also a passionated hifi and music lover.

Some gear...

He spent almost 5h in my room. Started just to listen to my system and took notes. Then he measured my room dimensions, made drawings, calculatet angles, space and volyme etc and got familiar with the furnishing, materials and so on.

Then he played some different sounds to measure from.
We moved around some different absorption and diffusion and compared the results.
The system/the speakers had very low distorsion and were almost perfect in frequency response and so on, he said. It was interesting to se this on the computer and he spoke about the acoustic effekt the human body and head have in some frequencies sound level in the ear. The level is raised in some midrange frequency interval due to our anatomi. Therefore good speakers have a compensation for this in those frequencies. My speakers were perfect in that way he said. It was interesting to know and I'm happy about it. Though I don't really care much for specifications but more about how I like the sound. But good specifications have for sure effekt on how good the music is represented.

I'v already been doing acoustic measurements some years ago with another acoustic-pro and I have made some treatment since then. I wanted to see how it all turned out. Due to my ears I think it's good but I know there are some late reflexion and I will figure out if some more diffusion would do better than I already is.

It turned out that I just have minor problems with the acoustics. I'm happy about that to. I can hear that there is a late reflexion that is late enough not to interfere with original sound, but it would be better to lower that energi a bit. He told me that my room dimensions and open spaces connected with other spaces on the this floor are helpful.

I will deal with the late reflexion from the right wall with absorption and probably ad some more diffusion in the space behind the sweet spot.

Last edited by Apexorca; 03-19-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
I'v had Carl from the company Sound of Science in my listening room to analyze my acoustic and my system to see if there is something that I can do better.
Carl is very well educated and experienced in acoustics and also a passionated hifi and music lover.

Some gear...

He spent almost 5h in my room. Started just to listen to my system and took notes. Then he measured my room dimensions, made drawings, calculatet angles, space and volyme etc and got familiar with the furnishing, materials and so on.

Then he played some different sounds to measure from.
We moved around some different absorption and diffusion and compared the results.
The system/the speakers had very low distorsion and were almost perfect in frequency response and so on, he said. It was interesting to se this on the computer and he spoke about the acoustic effekt the human body and head have in some frequencies sound level in the ear. The level is raised in some midrange frequency interval due to our anatomi. Therefore good speakers have a compensation for this in those frequencies. My speakers were perfect in that way he said. It was interesting to know and I'm happy about it. Though I don't really care much for specifications but more about how I like the sound. But good specifications have for sure effekt on how good the music is represented.

I'v already been doing acoustic measurements some years ago with another acoustic-pro and I have made some treatment since then. I wanted to see how it all turned out. Due to my ears I think it's good but I know there are some late reflexion and I will figure out if some more diffusion would do better than I already is.

It turned out that I just have minor problems with the acoustics. I'm happy about that to. I can hear that there is a late reflexion that is late enough not to interfere with original sound, but it would be better to lower that energi a bit. He told me that my room dimensions and open spaces connected with other spaces on the this floor are helpful.

I will deal with the late reflexion from the right wall with absorption and probably ad some more diffusion in the space behind the sweet spot.
Apexorca, so glad things worked out with your room. I agree with you that specifications and measurements are important. I think your Krell amps are beautiful. I just finished the final upgrade to my system: AQ Diamond USB cable replaced my Coffee USB. I have also added a hurricane shutter to the only window. Motorized, solid aluminium. We have a lot of weather and with only 2 panes of glass between my room and disaster, it's something that I needed to do for a long time. Cost was 2,450.00 about the same as my Transguard tg60 whole house surge protector. Also had the ground for my outdoor FM antennae re-done and surge junction box inserted into my 75 ohm tuner cable. Nothing left for me to do except enjoy the music. Hope you are doing the same. I think you have achieved true high end audio greatness with your system. I may post some more photographs as I have bought a new phone with a better camera and my system is now totally stable. So be looking for them if you are interested. Again congrats on the room measurements. It is comforting to know that your system measures as good as it sounds. Please post more pics and make more comments. I really enjoy your pics and thoughts.

Last edited by Charles; 05-04-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Apexorca, so glad things worked out with your room. I agree with you that specifications and measurements are important. I think your Krell amps are beautiful. I just finished the final upgrade to my system: AQ Diamond USB cable replaced my Coffee USB. I have also added a hurricane shutter to the only window. Motorized, solid aluminium. We have a lot of weather and with only 2 panes of glass between my room and disaster, it's something that I needed to do for a long time. Cost was 2,450.00 about the same as my Transguard tg60 whole house surge protector. Also had the ground for my outdoor FM antennae re-done and surge junction box inserted into my 75 ohm tuner cable. Nothing left for me to do except enjoy the music. Hope you are doing the same. I think you have achieved true high end audio greatness with your system. I may post some more photographs as I have bought a new phone with a better camera and my system is now totally stable. So be looking for them if you are interested. Again congrats on the room measurements. It is comforting to know that your system measures as good as it sounds. Please post more pics and make more comments. I really enjoy your pics and thoughts.
Thanks Charles!

We'v been discussing the measurements and I'v made some changes.
The first was to remove my drums from my listening room. That reduced some resonances.
The second is to use Dacron (very ugly) temporarily on one wall when I listen.

These things were really fruitful.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:45 AM

KrellKCR-HR vs Krell EVO 202.

Krell KRC-HR is almost a legendary Pre-amp. I'v had it for a while but since my evaluation of Krell 350 MC modified took some time I wanted them to be fully broken in. Then compared to Gryphon Antilieon Signatur before I started to use the modified preamp KRC-HR.

Now I'v been trying to fit KRC-HR into the rack. It's actually quit difficult.

External power supply.

Hard to make the cables to reach it.

KRC-HR is upgraded with new modern components. They are actually better quality than the original ones. Therefore, after break in, it should sound better than the original ones. That's not possible to evaluate but i should be that way.

The first hour clearly showed differencis. The first obvious thing was that there was a lot more power in the bottom end and very articulated as well with KCR-HR. Impressive. I would not have excpected that.
I know this is early to make conclusions but the differences are substantial. And mostly positive I think.
KRC-HR is like och a young fruity flower and the EVO 202 is more like grown up, settled down and with no excessiveness at all. 202 is more what some people should call "correct".
KRC -HR helps the musik out and the dynamics are great in all frequencies. Everything "pops" out from the speaker with more energy.
How could it be like that? I'm a bit confused. Can KRC-HR really match up with 202???
Hmmmm. KRC-HR is pure class A. Could that be the reason?

I have to break it in several hours more to see what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------

Due to my taste I start to think that Krell was better before The EVO-line... It was more musical, more fresh and willing to make music great fun.

Dan d'Agustino probably think so to. His new brand starts from the FPB-series not from EVO-series...

Last edited by Apexorca; 10-20-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 PM

To choose Power Amp and Pre Amp were not easy.
A- Gryphon Antileon Signature + Krell EVO 202 vs B- modified Krell FPB 350 Mc and Krell KRC - HR.
The thing is that I did'nt expect this to be a real competition för Antileon. But from the beginning I heard that B had a sound that I like. During break in it's getting even better. This weekend me and my wife listened to music through A. She said: - It sound's a bit gently and tired. What's wrong.
This got me started. I thought she had a good point and connected B. She was happy.
B has got more power, the control is stunning. I get more involved in the music and I like it more. As my wife also does.
I really did not want that old Krell to be this good. It was just an expriment. I did not like this but I'm fine with it now.
A is not at all bad in anyway. It sounds very good and since I'v heard what B could do I had no intention of changing anything. The hard thing is to go back when you heard something that you think is better.

So, B stayes. I have to change a bit in the Hifi-rack.

It's refreshing to know that old stuff still can beat youngsters. Often beter built then new unit's. Not every time but often.

Last edited by Apexorca; 10-21-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Life is beautiful

Wow, that's quite a surprise!
Don't sell the Gryphon yet though.
You might get seller's remorse...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 AM

Apexorca, I hope you see my post. I owned a HRC-HR for a long time. Fantastic pre. A lot the equipment you have come from D. D' Agostino's great days at Krell. I never owned any of his mono amps, though.

I wanted to let you know that I am considering a Wilson Audio XVX speaker. I probably won't do it but I can't get the speaker out of my mind. It is truly beautiful. But my Alexx sound so good I don't know why I am even thinking about it and they are a better fit in my room.

Last edited by Charles; 10-21-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:05 AM
Go Dawgs

I'm honestly not too surprised, the Krell HRC and the FPB series were truly state of the art and would drive anything you threw at it. If there were some modern component upgrades like you said, that may have been the trick. Enjoy 'em.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 10-21-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Wow, that's quite a surprise!
Don't sell the Gryphon yet though.
You might get seller's remorse...
You are right. That's exactly my plan. Maybe I move it to my stereo at my work.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Apexorca, I hope you see my post. I owned a HRC-HR for a long time. Fantastic pre. A lot the equipment you have come from D. D' Agostino's great days at Krell. I never owned any of his mono amps, though.

I wanted to let you know that I am considering a Wilson Audio XVX speaker. I probably won't do it but I can't get the speaker out of my mind. It is truly beautiful. But my Alexx sound so good I don't know why I am even thinking about it and they are a better fit in my room.

Hehe, you know, whats in your hart beats all sense and reason. In listening to music thats a good thing.