AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffoc View Post
That was my experience as well in my brief audition of the Guarneri M. I don’t however want to lose the warmer sound of the auditors with the mid driver!
Tough call. The GM's demand more from the system for sure and they are 3x the price of Auditors. I have full privileges from my dealer to get a full trade in amount with any speakers I buy to upgrade later so it was not a very difficult decision for me to upgrade from Auditors. Also keep in mind that the GMs really do need to be broken in extensively before reaching their optimum performance and true colors so the pair you heard may or may not have been the true speakers they are when fully broken in.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 PM

This thread is a dangerous place! I am VERY satisfied with the sound of my Auditors and i feel they match my room to a 'T' with regards to size (approx. 12' x 11' (opens up to 13' halfway back) x 9.75 ft). McIntosh electronics, room treatments, dedicated lines/PPP ALL have improved the sound....notice how my speakers are the lone survivor of upgraditis.

However, i have always wondered what the GH/GM would sound like in my room. It seems they are quite a bit taller than the Auditors which concewrns me in my room. Serge/Alberto..did either of you find it necessary to alter the postioning of your listening chair and/or speaker placement to account for this difference in height. I sit only about 6 or 7 feet away (tweeter to ear). Would the sweet spot fly right over my head??? Does the sound 'integrate' as quickly as the Auditors or does it need more space to achieve its magic?

I would love to audition a used/broken in pair of GH prior to purchase.....fat chance.

Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
This thread is a dangerous place! I am VERY satisfied with the sound of my Auditors and i feel they match my room to a 'T' with regards to size (approx. 12' x 11' (opens up to 13' halfway back) x 9.75 ft). McIntosh electronics, room treatments, dedicated lines/PPP ALL have improved the sound....notice how my speakers are the lone survivor of upgraditis.

However, i have always wondered what the GH/GM would sound like in my room. It seems they are quite a bit taller than the Auditors which concewrns me in my room. Serge/Alberto..did either of you find it necessary to alter the postioning of your listening chair and/or speaker placement to account for this difference in height. I sit only about 6 or 7 feet away (tweeter to ear). Would the sweet spot fly right over my head??? Does the sound 'integrate' as quickly as the Auditors or does it need more space to achieve its magic?

I would love to audition a used/broken in pair of GH prior to purchase.....fat chance.

P.S. Isn't it nice to have a Sonus Faber forum in here?
Jason

Hi J3row,

Serge and I have put our room measurement and positioning on the following thread:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13

I listen from ~7' and I have absolutely no trouble with integration of the 2 drivers - none that I would notice anyway.

Today, you can get a used GH for $5-6K and a used GM (more rare) for $10K or so.

They are bigger, taller than the Auditors - but they are so goshdarn gorgeous that you won't care.

Alberto
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post

Jason
I actually prefer to be slightly below the tweeter level on my GM's. I am only a little further away but my speakers are much wider apart at approx 10 ft. This is more of a "nearfield" listening setup. I really like it that way. I think you will be fine with the GH's or GM's if you want to go that way just try to give them at least 2.5ft away from nearby walls or the bass may get a little too thick in the room.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Thanks for your input guys. Seems as though i needed worry about the height if i pursue a pair of Guarnari's someday. As i sit listening to the Auditors, it is hard to imagine my room sounding any sweeter....yet i KNOW its possible. Such fun.

CL: Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (LP)

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 04-11-2009 at 01:04 AM.