AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Thinking of the Oppo 105 with Modwright mods

The whole package will be 3500.00. I have heard this Modified Oppo competes with players in the 7 to 10k range. If that is the case it's a great deal. I've never heard one before so I'm a little skeptical. I currently have a Gamut Cd player but it's 12 years old and I don't how long will it last. My other alternative was to buy a used player for 3500.00 that retailed new for 7k. The only problem with that is I could have service Issues. If I did buy the modified Oppo and didn't like it is it a easy sale. Or is it a small niche in the market that is hard to sell.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 PM

What I would love (burn) to know (from expert music listeners) is the difference in sound quality (SACD and CD)
from the Oppo BDP-105 tubed modded (from ModWright), and the Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD player.
...And few other hi-end CD/SACD players in the 5 to 10K range.

* Strictly as a CD/SACD player (stereo), for music playback only. ...Nothing else, no Blu-ray/DVD playback,
no DAC feature, no headphone listening, ... no nothing else.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
What I would love (burn) to know (from expert music listeners) is the difference in sound quality (SACD and CD)
from the Oppo BDP-105 tubed modded (from ModWright), and the Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD player.
...And few other hi-end CD/SACD players in the 5 to 10K range.

* Strictly as a CD/SACD player (stereo), for music playback only. ...Nothing else, no Blu-ray/DVD playback,
no DAC feature, no headphone listening, ... no nothing else.
That's what I'm talking about!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
The whole package will be 3500.00. I have heard this Modified Oppo competes with players in the 7 to 10k range.

If I did buy the modified Oppo and didn't like it is it a easy sale. Or is it a small niche in the market that is hard to sell.
taters.......I have heard a lot of things, but that doesn't necessarily make them so. What can I say. You pay your money and you take your chances. If you buy the modded BDP-105 and don't like it, you will definitely be selling to a niche market and most likely taking a hit to unload it. Make sure it's what you really think it is and a player you will want to keep. Then you won't have to worry about selling it as a used, modded disc spinner.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
The Architect

My thoughts are that if you can afford the $10k player, and the rest of your system is up to the level where you can clearly appreciate the differences, and that the extra $$ couldn't be spent better elsewhere (speakers, room treatments, or music), then you should buy it. Modified players are a niche market, no question about it. You might take close to a $1k hit if you bought a ModWright 105 and decided to sell it. That would be painful, no doubt. Of course, you would take at least that much of a hit if not more on the $10k player if you turned around and sold it - percentage wise it might be less, but dollars wise it will probably be more.

As far as the performance goes, I suggest finding a way to audition one personally if at all possible. Feedback from actual owners goes a long way as well, which is why as the result of Dan's, Ivan's and others reviews that the Esoteric players are so popular here at AA now. I am not aware of any actual owners of a ModWright 105 here (if there are any lurking, they should speak up). I might be the first one here in a couple of weeks, and I will certainly share my impressions. I am confident that they will be as I expect them to be. Also, if you search around you will find at least one other forum member here took a chance on a ModWright Sony 5400ES, and has spoken very clearly that it does indeed compare at the level of the other 5 figure players that he owns, and he is quite pleased with his decision to purchase it.
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
My thoughts are that if you can afford the $10k player, and the rest of your system is up to the level where you can clearly appreciate the differences, and that the extra $$ couldn't be spent better elsewhere (speakers, room treatments, or music), then you should buy it. Modified players are a niche market, no question about it. You might take close to a $1k hit if you bought a ModWright 105 and decided to sell it. That would be painful, no doubt. Of course, you would take at least that much of a hit if not more on the $10k player if you turned around and sold it - percentage wise it might be less, but dollars wise it will probably be more.

As far as the performance goes, I suggest finding a way to audition one personally if at all possible. Feedback from actual owners goes a long way as well, which is why as the result of Dan's, Ivan's and others reviews that the Esoteric players are so popular here at AA now. I am not aware of any actual owners of a ModWright 105 here (if there are any lurking, they should speak up). I might be the first one here in a couple of weeks, and I will certainly share my impressions. I am confident that they will be as I expect them to be. Also, if you search around you will find at least one other forum member here took a chance on a ModWright Sony 5400ES, and has spoken very clearly that it does indeed compare at the level of the other 5 figure players that he owns, and he is quite pleased with his decision to purchase it.
How do you like your bdp-95?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
The Architect

Quote:
How do you like your bdp-95?
I love it, and would be keeping it indefinitely if the 105 did not include the digital inputs. I am limited on space, so a separate external DAC does not appeal to me right now, plus I know how good the analog output of the tube analog stage that ModWright provides sounds. From what I understand, the 105 will be a step forward over the 95, and I will know that for certain when I do a direct comparison for myself between the two players in the near future.
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
The whole package will be 3500.00. I have heard this Modified Oppo competes with players in the 7 to 10k range. If that is the case it's a great deal.
But don't we also read review after review of people saying this $7,000 player competes with players in the $15,000 category and this $3500 player competes with those in the $7000 range. So either all players sound the same after all or that's a very over used term. Perhaps it competes with a player in the next price gap but maybe that said player should have been priced lower.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harri009 View Post
But don't we also read review after review of people saying this $7,000 player competes with players in the $15,000 category and this $3500 player competes with those in the $7000 range. So either all players sound the same after all or that's a very over used term. Perhaps it competes with a player in the next price gap but maybe that said player should have been priced lower.
Since I can't hear it first it's a bit of a crap shoot. I agree you can't always go by reviews.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM

taters,

This is an apples to oranges comparison to an extent but does bear somewhat on your question. I own a stock BDP-95 and just on sonic terms, quite satisfied with it. It does many things right and I could, and do, live quite happily with it. I also have a 10 year old Music Hall CD-25 that was given the then current ModWright tube modification and there are certain areas where the CD-25 sounds, to me, superior to the BDP-95. There is an analogue quality to the ModWright player that as good the the Oppo player sounds, it still lacks.

Something to bear in mind is that the ModWright 105 will allow its user to further tailor its sound by rolling in different current production and vintage tubes. I can affect the sound of the CD-25 by not only changing from a Tung-Sol 5687 to say, a Raytheon 5687, but also from changing to a GE 7044 or an Amperex 7119. You'd be in a similar situation, if you wished, with the ModWright 105.

From what I've read, the Oppo 105 improves, in its stock form, on the 95 and I can only imagine how much better it'd sound once it received the ModWright tube modifications. Whether this would be as satisfying to you as a used Esoteric or Ayre player, for example, is not something I can speak to. But, based on my limited experience, I somehow doubt you'd be disappointed with the ModWright 105.