AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 05-18-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
I'm not sure about the policy of this forum regarding posting links to other forums but you can google it (e.g. AQ Volcano DBS 144V, Everest, etc.) and you'll see links to audiogon, audiocircle, soundstage.com and even images... It's a very well known fact that 144V DBS is enhancing the sound of AQ loudspeaker cables. I've also tried their adapters and increased voltage on their interconnect cables but with no positive effect... Only loudspeaker and digital cables work better this way!
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3
Correct..no links to other forums. Many years ago I had 4 pair of AQ Volcano speaker cables (Mont Blanc before that), 2 pair of 40 foot Gibraltar speaker cables, 7 pair of SKY interconnects, 2 SKY cables terminated for REL subwoofers, 2 pair of Raven 110ohm, several Eagle Eye 75ohm, all of which took DBS packs. I also loved their YIQ-5 component video cables.

I can personally attest to the positive effects of up'ing the voltage on the DBS from 72v to 144v by getting the extra leads and couplers from AQ and adding a 2nd battery pack. The difference was noticeable to my ears. I tried higher voltage but frankly, above 144v, I could not hear any benefit. I did post my feedback on this on another forum way back when....
Old 05-19-2018, 03:03 AM

I too went from CV-8 to Mont Blanc and then to Volcano in less then 2 years... The differences were huge... at least until I've tried the Everest which was (and is) incredible... light years ahead. Anyway 144V is definitely better than 72V for loudspeaker cables (and only for them). 216V is amazing for USB cables!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:14 PM

I had Audioquest Oak for a couple of days to compare them to my Clarus Crimson speaker cables. I prefer the Clarus Crimson across the board. When I returned the Oak, they told me to take Redwood home for an audition. I connected the Redwood yesterday. Although it's a step above the Oak in clarity, bass, and more defined soundstage, I still prefer the Clarus Crimson. The Clarus is more detailed without brightness. In my system it just sounds more realistic with better tonality of instruments.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 05-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 PM

That’s interesting ^^^
Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
That’s interesting ^^^
If possible, it's so important to listen to everything in your own system and let your own ears decide. Of course there are no absolutes in audio, only preferences. It's my opinion based on my ears and how the respective cables sound in my system. I'm done searching for new speakers cables. I may pursue changing two of my power cords from Hurricanes to Dragon source. Considering the price difference, I'm just wondering how much of a sonic difference exists between the Hurricane and Dragon?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
P.S. What about the carbon DBS? Is it stock for some cables? Do you have to buy it? Only the black ones come as stock with the power cables? Did anyone listen to both of them one next to the other?
Did you get any information about that topic? Black DBS vs Carbon?

And... How do i get 144V with two DBS-Units? How did you guys do that?
Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post

And... How do i get 144V with two DBS-Units? How did you guys do that?
There is info on the AQ official site regarding the new DBS systems. The Carbon one has a filter in it.
Regarding 144V DBS... you can use an original "Y" adapter, you can DIY an adapter or you can buy the cable with 2 DBS jacks (old cables such as Kilimanjaro, Mont Blanc, Volcano, etc.).

This is an example of "Y" adapter.

This is an Everest with 2 DBS jacks per cable...
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Hurricane?
I did buy the Hurricanes for phono, preamp, CD. THE Dragon HC are for the Pass 260.8. It is there I will hear the most difference. Arrive Wednesday.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
I just picked up a new Thunder PC; it ships with the Black DBS, which is distinct in its unpainted matte plastic finish (kind of ugly). The Carbon DBS ships on Hurricanes, and these have an attractive metallic charcoal/dark gray paint finish. So it's really easy to tell which you have.

Other than a butt-ugly DBS, the build quality of the Thunder is outstanding; a really attractive cable that even looks like a great value in its market segment. Very confidence inspiring to replace whatever you had in your system with one of these!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:21 PM

Today I received my last Hurricanes. Now I have a Hurricane on every component.