AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Default Why ESL?

Thought it was time for a second thread here! I had always lusted after a pair of ML's. Just could never afford them until recently.

The major factor in me going with an ESL was I can't find a tweeter that does not irritate my ears. I was thisclose to buying a pair of Dynaudio C2. I had listened to them a couple of times and was just about sold. I happened to take a Yes CD (The Ladder) to the dealer for my final listen and there was a spot in several of the cuts that just hurt my ears. Unfortunately, my dealer does not carry ML or Magnepan. I'd have loved to give him the money I spent elsewhere to get the ML.

He was cool with my choice. He has the opinion that every ear has it's preference. He did try to steer me to some Avalon speakers but the WAF did not happen.

I'd be interested in hearing why some of you chose ESL's over cones and domes.

Gordon
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Comments anyone?

Hi G,

For better or worse, here I am.

Some of you may know of the Martin Logan Club website. Pretty much dedicated to ML and all other things appropriate.

I think Gordon is being quite "politically correct" in phrasing his question the way he did. However, I for one, would also appreciate this forum's comments on this speaker technology.

How many folks have heard "panels" and based on that experience, what are your impressions?

GG
Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 PM

I've owned MLs before. Great speaker but like most electrostats/magneplanar tend to be quite revealing. Partnering gear needs to be grain free and on a more refined level than what one can get away with with lesser gear on conventional speakers.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 AM

Me, I like the BIG sound. Some people claim it is slightly overblown, and that's probably true, it's just my favorite sound. I've tried so many other things, but I always come back to panels and ML is my favorite panel. But I could live with Maggies too (still got a pair) or even Quads, etc.

Of all the panels I've tried, the ML gives me the best balance of the "open panel sound" yet has almost has all the dynamics of a great cone speaker. I've lived happily with almost all of em though!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM

I enjoy my Quad Esl-63's on a daily basis. I don't miss my Thiel 2.4's on any day, or any other day for that matter. There were some things they did better but for what the esl-63's do I am extremely happy, and content. I have the Quad's in a small enough room that they get some bass reinforcement and my jazz collection along with some rock have a grand old time. The Ray Charles and Milt Jackson record is my recent favorite. Can we add Quads to this category?

Mark
Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc2 View Post
I enjoy my Quad Esl-63's on a daily basis. I don't miss my Thiel 2.4's on any day, or any other day for that matter. There were some things they did better but for what the esl-63's do I am extremely happy, and content. I have the Quad's in a small enough room that they get some bass reinforcement and my jazz collection along with some rock have a grand old time. The Ray Charles and Milt Jackson record is my recent favorite. Can we add Quads to this category?

Mark
Those are excellent speakers -detail to the max. They are a bit bass shy for my taste though. If I had room for 3rd system I'd like to have a pair with the new 60th Anniversary MAC C22/MC75's and MCD500 for a playback source.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
Those are excellent speakers -detail to the max. They are a bit bass shy for my taste though. If I had room for 3rd system I'd like to have a pair with the new 60th Anniversary MAC C22/MC75's and MCD500 for a playback source.
me too The lp12 does really nice too

Mark
Old 11-21-2010, 08:59 AM

I have owned ML Ascent i and ML Spire until a month ago. The ML ESL sound is super clear and transparent like no other speaker I have heard. They image exceptionally well and really give the impression that the musicians are in the room with you. The two main problems I had with them is (a) they can be bright and might need room treatments to tone them down a bit and (b) because they are so revealing they tend to sound less than great with lower quality recordings.
One other thing to note is that ESL's don't have the dynamic range of cone speakers and in extreme dynamic situations they can compress the dynamic range or self destruct. This is no longer an issue with the Spire or any of the latest ML ESL's. The Spires specifically had a huge dynamic range.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 PM

I have always been a big fan of large ESL panels.
For these reasons :
- their sound is fast like in the real life
- transparency and delicacy for good ones
- large sound which fills large rooms

I do not use any more my ESL cause I found all these qualities plus macro dynamics with my PMC speakers.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Mid field maven

Hi Gordon,
I have the same problem as you. My advice is to go and audition a pair of Harbeths. I have the Summit X and the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 in the same room. The ESL on the Summit X just hammers my ears while the Harbeth's silk domed tweeter is just as sweet as can be.

I have the Harbeths augmented by a stereo pair of REL T5 sub bass units. It's a fantastic combination. Amplifier is the McIntosh MC275 with C22 preamp. Peachtree iDecco standing in for DAC duty while the Benchmark DAC1 USB is away getting its TOSLINK dust cover replaced at the factory.

By the way, I noticed you're from Southern MD. I'm originally from Leonardtown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Thought it was time for a second thread here! I had always lusted after a pair of ML's. Just could never afford them until recently.

The major factor in me going with an ESL was I can't find a tweeter that does not irritate my ears. I was thisclose to buying a pair of Dynaudio C2. I had listened to them a couple of times and was just about sold. I happened to take a Yes CD (The Ladder) to the dealer for my final listen and there was a spot in several of the cuts that just hurt my ears. Unfortunately, my dealer does not carry ML or Magnepan. I'd have loved to give him the money I spent elsewhere to get the ML.

He was cool with my choice. He has the opinion that every ear has it's preference. He did try to steer me to some Avalon speakers but the WAF did not happen.

I'd be interested in hearing why some of you chose ESL's over cones and domes.

Gordon