AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Just Pure Lucky

This is a bit long (an hour); but they are quite skeptical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJ5...A#action=share

Best Sirs,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
MQA wants to be on all formats. If they succeed, in a few years you may not even be able to buy a cd that isn’t MQA encoded. This isn’t paranoia, this is what they’ve said.
Well even if this is true you will get 24 bit 48 k folded music which still is better than 16 bit cd . The MQA decoder just gets you the higher resolution. Just like a SACD that has a cd layer . MQA will be no different than SACD, the old and the new format.

Last edited by 1KW; 03-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaj View Post
This made me giggle.
Yeah but you have to buy a expensive MC cartridge to get good sound out of a record
Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Yeah but you have to buy a expensive MC cartridge to get good sound out of a record
Yep, that's all you need.

Anyone know how to mount a Koetsu Coralstone Platinum on my PYE Black Box TT??

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 03-12-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Well even if this is true you will get 24 bit 48 k folded music which still is better than 16 bit cd . The MQA decoder just gets you the higher resolution. Just like a SACD that has a cd layer . MQA will be no different than SACD, the old and the new format.
And it doesn't concern you that one company could end up having that kind of monopoly over the music industry and day manufacturers?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
MQA wants to be on all formats. If they succeed, in a few years you may not even be able to buy a cd that isn’t MQA encoded. This isn’t paranoia, this is what they’ve said.
How is this a problem?

I buy a CD that is normally 16/44.1

On my non MQA DAC, I get the full 16/44.1 playback from the CD. No harm. No foul. My life hasn't changed. Same as when I used to buy non MQA CDs.

If I get an MQA CDP, I get the MQA unfold. Woohoo for me.

But not the end of the world in my first scenario.

I'm guessing HD Tracks hasn't just suddenly gone away if you want to buy hi-res downloads.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 AM

Default MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post

I'm guessing HD Tracks hasn't just suddenly gone away if you want to buy hi-res downloads.

Today, yes. Again, MQA’s goal is to be embedded in all formats and sources. In 5 years, maybe all you’ll be able to get from HD Tracks is MQA. I guess I’m just inherently concerned by monopolies. They tend to change when they get full control.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 AM
Life is beautiful

Tony, I'm 100% with you.
I want to have freedom of choice: CD, SACD, hi-res 24/96 or 24/192 streaming or downloads. Heck even MQA if it sounds good.
I might even consider to buy an MQA DAC if MQA breaks through.
But I want to keep my freedom!
I really hate the idea of only having unfolded or folded MQA available.

And imagine if it becomes the only available format: I would have to buy a MQA surround processor too then.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

I suspect MQA will end up as just another option for music lovers and while their desire might be to 'take over the world', through competition and other forces at play it is highly unlikely that this will happen.

My view is it just gives us more options to consider and perhaps more money to spend for those that wish to update their DAC to accommodate the full MQA experience, whatever that may be...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Your comment is wrong, and this is all confirmed by Bob Stuart himself. You get 13-14bits of actual music information in the folded 24/48 file. Remember the folding has to throw away musical data to make room for the "extra 96KHz content" to fit into a 24/48 file.

When unfolded you restore about 17bits of the original data. This is in a 24/96 container of course. Again this is confirmed by Bob Stuart.

The folded 24/48 or 24/44.1 MQA file does not contain more musical information than a regular 16 bit CD.

Last edited by Dr Tone; 03-13-2018 at 12:21 PM.