AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 11-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
I ordered the VPI Signature turntable this morning in piano black and with the SDS power supply. I have not decided yet on the cartridge or the cables to connect to the C2300. I may go with the Quintet Black cartridge for now to save a grand but not sure. What cables are recommended based on the rest of my system? Thanks, Jim
Great choice. Am sure you will pleased.
Am running 0.5m Kimber Silver Streaks from the junction box on the TT to my phono preamp and WW Silver 7s from the phono preamp to the Cary SLI-80. I am going to do some trading around between the Sil 7s and Gold 7s and the Sil Streaks this winter to find the best combo. Will surprise me to find a big difference, but you never know. My feeling is with the small signal provided by the cartridge the quietest IC is the best, and that is why I run silver rather than copper between the cartridge and the phono input.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Glenn - Please don't take offense from my input, as I'm just trying to be helpful. Nothing against Kimber who makes some fine cables, but their Silver Streaks are an unshielded design and as such are not the best choice to carry the very low output signal from a fine MC cartridge like your Kleos to your Cary phono preamp. You would be better off using a well shielded IC for that connection point in your system to avoid the potential for picking up any hum or noise which is then significantly amplified by your phono preamp and SLI-80. The Kimber would be better suited going between your phono stage and SLI-80 which is a higher level signal and not subject to as much gain. Give it a try and let us know your findings.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Retired

Will be doing the test, as mentioned. But, the design of the Kimber makes it pretty much insensitive to outside noise. Have used them in several places in my system over the years and never a complaint. I've checked by turning the volume up (3/4 of full) with the cartridge up and only just starting to hear some tube-rush with my ear within 12" of the speaker. If I were attempting to listen to an LP at that level the sound would be >100db, which is deafing to me. However, if one is worried about same, both Kimber and WW offer phono ICs with various levels of silver conductors in them.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 11-20-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Greetings from NC

Everything is ordered.

VPI Signature turntable in piano black with the SDS power supply.
Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge.
WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 RCA Tonearm Cable.
Gingko VPI signature Clear Cover.

Now to patiently wait for shipping. All should be here hopefully by Christmas.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Retired

Very nice. Terrific set-up. Santa has been very good to you.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:29 AM

Default me too Signature but with MM

James, I hope you enjoy, sounds like a great setup!

I too just ordered a VPI Signature with SDS and JMW 3D-10 arm. (way upgrade to the Marantz TT-42)

Went for the Ortofon 2M Black as my only phono preamp is part of my Arcam FMJ A19 Integrated. It matches the 5mV sensitivity and 47 kOhm impedence specs so Im hoping it all works out. Is there anything to be aware of for this setup? Its driving KEF Q900s with powered Q400 sub.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Greetings from NC

Default Cartridge phono pre amp settings

Well it has been almost 2 1/2 years since this thread originated. I have thoroughly enjoyed my set up with the VPI Classic Signature with the Ortofon Cadenza Black and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 RCA to the McIntosh C2300 (with Gold Line tubes). Thanks for all the prior input from everyone.

I have never felt certain what is the best moving coil setting within the C2300 for this TT, cables, and Pre-Amp combination. I have changed often the MC selectable resistance loading within the McIntosh C2300 depending on the album. I seem to keep at 100 ohm as a base line but I think the brighter the mastering I turn it down and the more laid back I turn it up. Sometimes I keep at 100 ohm and just turn down the treble -2 if a bit bright.

Appreciate the more technically minded folks explain the moving coil settings on the McIntosh C2300, the base line setting for my set up, and when and why I should change up or down. May help others if explained for both MC and MM.

Appreciate all of you. Thanks, Jim
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
Well it has been almost 2 1/2 years since this thread originated. I have thoroughly enjoyed my set up with the VPI Classic Signature with the Ortofon Cadenza Black and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 RCA to the McIntosh C2300 (with Gold Line tubes). Thanks for all the prior input from everyone.

I have never felt certain what is the best moving coil setting within the C2300 for this TT, cables, and Pre-Amp combination. I have changed often the MC selectable resistance loading within the McIntosh C2300 depending on the album. I seem to keep at 100 ohm as a base line but I think the brighter the mastering I turn it down and the more laid back I turn it up. Sometimes I keep at 100 ohm and just turn down the treble -2 if a bit bright.

Appreciate the more technically minded folks explain the moving coil settings on the McIntosh C2300, the base line setting for my set up, and when and why I should change up or down. May help others if explained for both MC and MM.

Appreciate all of you. Thanks, Jim
Interesting thread. Can you elaborate a bit on the Ortofon Cadenza Black sonics? I am considering the Ortofon Quintet Black but also the Cadenza black which is more than twice the money. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 PM

Ortofon's Quintet series cartridges represent a very good value, but their Cadenza models are a significant step up in both resolution and refinement. If you can afford the Cadenza I think you'd be much happier with it in the long run as long as your table and arm are suitable to allow the cartridge's potential to be achieved.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Retired

Whichever you choose, make sure it is compatible with your phono-preamp's abilities.