AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 12-01-2017, 02:28 PM
conrad-johnson, baby!

Default New cables!

So...I've got some new cables coming soon. I was able to snag another pair of Audioquest Colorado 1M RCA interconnects as a demo/Black Friday special deal. I've been running a full loom of AQ Columbia for my system for the last few years, and the AQ Columbia is a very good interconnect; the Colorado is another step up in transparency and lower noise floor over Columbia, resulting in a cleaner and quieter but very natural presentation. I'm running the one pair of Colorado I have between my preamp and power amp so that all source components will benefit from it. I'm going to use the new Colorado between Gumby and my C-J CT-5 preamp since i listen to Gumby more than my vinyl rig these days. The other cable I have coming is a pair of Shunyata Venom speaker cables which I've read good things about. I'll be comparing these to the DNM speaker cables I've been running since 2010. Also got the Venoms as a demo pair from a California dealer. Personally, I like used cables 'cause they're already burned in (as well as being a good value).
conrad-johnson CT-5 and LP70S, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion & Rega P5/Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II w/ EAR324P, Clearaudio Concept/Grado Sonata1 mono 2w/ EAR 834P, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore microRendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply, Schiit Gungnir Multibit Gen 5 USB DAC, Schiit Loki DSD DAC, Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor, Mac Mini/Roon, Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, DNM speaker cables, Audioquest Colombia and Colorado ICs, Shunyata Zitron and Black Mamba CX power cords, Shunyata Triton
Old 12-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Of course, we’ll want to hear your findings!
Revel Ultima Salon2's, Voice2, Studio2's, PerformaBe M126’s, Mark Levinson No. 536 (2) and No. 523, Bel Canto 2.7 and REFStream, Marantz TT-15S1 with Ortofon Cadenza Black cart, ATI Signature 6007, Marantz 7704, JVC DLA-RS500U, Silver Ticket STR-169120, WW Gold Eclipse 6 IC's, WW Silver Eclipse 6 IC's, WW Platinum 6 AES
Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 PM
conrad-johnson, baby!

Absolutely, Mike!
conrad-johnson CT-5 and LP70S, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion & Rega P5/Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II w/ EAR324P, Clearaudio Concept/Grado Sonata1 mono 2w/ EAR 834P, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore microRendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply, Schiit Gungnir Multibit Gen 5 USB DAC, Schiit Loki DSD DAC, Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor, Mac Mini/Roon, Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, DNM speaker cables, Audioquest Colombia and Colorado ICs, Shunyata Zitron and Black Mamba CX power cords, Shunyata Triton
Old 12-01-2017, 03:42 PM
It's not just the music!

I have to say Stephen, we diverge on our cable taste and preferences here as AQ is one of my least successful pairing from experience but much has to do with various components of course and system synergy. Looking forward to your impressions non the less!

Main System:

Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary

Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:49 PM
conrad-johnson, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I have to say Stephen, we diverge on our cable taste and preferences here as AQ is one of my least successful pairing from experience but much has to do with various components of course and system synergy. Looking forward to your impressions non the less!
Agreed, Serge. A lot like what single-malt you prefer.

I find the pairing to provide very good synergy with C-J components.

They work for me, and they are quite affordable. For the longest time, I had a personal $200 limit on ICs, so these are a nice step up in performance.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:54 PM
It's not just the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Agreed, Serge. A lot like what single-malt you prefer.

I find the pairing to provide very good synergy with C-J components.

They work for me, and they are quite affordable. For the longest time, I had a personal $200 limit on ICs, so these are a nice step up in performance.
Yes, that could be the CJ difference as my gear was BAT, Lamm, McIntosh and Ayre,I don't recall every trying them after that. It was a while ago. Things change, cables change. I also preferred the darker, more body and more meat on the bones type of sound back in the day. I am gravitating towards a more natural response now. I believe it was the Ayre and AQ pairing that completely made me give up on them.

Main System:

Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary

Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-01-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Hello Stephen,
I have some AQ cables that I like.
What is the list price of the Colorado in 2 x 1 meter in the US ?
Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 PM
conrad-johnson, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hello Stephen,
I have some AQ cables that I like.
What is the list price of the Colorado in 2 x 1 meter in the US ?
Hi Jerome, the Colorado cable is no longer in production; they originally sold for $900 for a 1 meter pair, RCA terminations. The pair I bought were a demo pair along with a Black Friday discount for $339.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-01-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 PM
conrad-johnson, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
So, just out of curiosity, Serge, what interconnects did you like?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:12 PM
McKlipschead

PHC1 did an interconnect shootout years ago that included AQ Colorado, try a site search.
Main: McIntosh C500C/T, MC501(2), MCD500, MR85, Marantz SA11-S3, Magnum Dynalab MD-108, Klipsch La Scala II, JL Audio F-212, Wireworld Platinum Electra/Eclipse, Audioquest Kilimanjaro, Furutech, Billy Bags.

Man Cave: McIntosh C46, MC252, MR85, Marantz SA-11S3 and SA-KI-Pearl, Klipsch Cornwall III, JL Audio F-113, Denon DVD-1600, Mitsubishi 55", Wireworld Gold Electra/Eclipse, Audioquest Volcano, Furutech, Sanus.

Office: Marantz PM-11S3, SA-11S3, SA-15S2B, Magnum Dynalab DT-5, Klipsch Chorus II, Audioquest Sky/Volcano/NRG-Wild, Furutech, Sanus.

MBR: Luxman R-115, K-111, Denon DBP-2010CI, Klipsch Forte II, Sony 52" NX800, Audioquest Mont Blanc/Cheetah/NRG-10, PS Audio, Sanus.